.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Opponents Wanted (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   PBEM between cd and download version not possible? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51578)

warhorse April 10th, 2017 06:00 PM

PBEM between cd and download version not possible?

A fellow and myself have now tried three times to get a game going, but it either won't load on his side(free download), or I get a oob error or just won't open on my end (cd version) It looks like I can't play him, is this right?

DRG April 10th, 2017 07:02 PM

Re: PBEM between cd and download version not possible?

If you are using one of the first five slots and you both know for sure you are using the same OOB's it should load and play but perhaps others who have tried PBEM since this latest patch was released can help but CD holders and the free DL should be able to play one another

Mobhack April 10th, 2017 11:30 PM

It might not work if you are using a CD-only OOB - Georgia say, that the free demo users dont have access to. If you are getting OOB errors - ensure that you have exactly the same OOBS (have the same version of the game properly patched up, and no-one has done edits).

But otherwise as Don says provided you the CD owner have used one of the first 5 PBEM slots that the free DL user is restricted to then all should work OK. Also provided that that no user is trying to "share" a slot i.e. trying to run several games in say slot 3, as that will screw up the PBEM system. One game, played in the one slot, till completion.

Wdll April 11th, 2017 06:11 AM

One more thing. You can't play PBEM campaign if one (or both) players don't have the "CD" version.
Or at least that's how it used to be, I don't know if they changed it over the last few years.
I definitely recommend buying this game.

Imp April 11th, 2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdll (Post 838205)
One more thing. You can't play PBEM campaign if one (or both) players don't have the "CD" version.
Or at least that's how it used to be, I don't know if they changed it over the last few years.

Are you sure I am sure it used to work, as Mobhack said use first 5 save slots & dont use that slot for anything else it will fail at some point.

DRG April 11th, 2017 05:02 PM

It *IS* our intent that CD holders and free gamers CAN PBEM but what we need is feedback from experienced CD holders and free gamers who PBEM and have with this latest version.

DRG April 11th, 2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhorse (Post 838198)
A fellow and myself have now tried three times to get a game going, but it either won't load on his side(free download), or I get a oob error or just won't open on my end (cd version) It looks like I can't play him, is this right?

Just so we know.....who set up the game......The CD holder or the free gamer?..... it should not matter but it would be info worth knowing....that and...
  • the nations involved
  • the year
  • the number of points

Wdll April 11th, 2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 838210)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wdll (Post 838205)

Are you sure I am sure it used to work, as Mobhack said use first 5 save slots & dont use that slot for anything else it will fail at some point.

When? Because as far back as I can remember, CD and free players couldn't play by email campaigns. PBEM campaigns were a feature of CD owners only.

DRG April 11th, 2017 06:29 PM

AFAIK the thread was about regular single battle PBEM at the start....there was no mention of "campaigns"... If this IS a PBEM campaign that was being attempted between a CD holder and a free gamer then it is not possible. I took Imps reply to refer to regular PBEM

keif149 April 12th, 2017 11:15 AM

CD and free games work for pbem, scenarios, purchase battles, home made scenarios,including the latest updates. Thanks for your hard work, btw.