.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   favorite scout units (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=53017)

codman July 25th, 2023 06:13 PM

favorite scout units

Just for discussion, what are your favorite units for scouting? I've never really mastered the technique but I've tried snipers, bike infantry, cavalry, motorcycle units and game scout units as well. I get that a horse is big and a motorcycle is loud, but trying to get them up forward quickly for spotting is a challenge. Ski scouts appear to have the movement but in the middle of July those skis are rather useless.

Thoughts?

scorpio_rocks July 26th, 2023 06:22 AM

Re: favorite scout units

I love to have infantry scouts mounted in jeeps or whatever (in a different formation). Zip them up front in the vehicle, dismount out of sight, withdraw the transport and push on on foot.

Mobhack July 26th, 2023 09:41 AM

Me, I like motorcycles as scouts, especially the ones that have dismounts. If you manage to zip into the enemy rear then you can wreak utter havoc with his mortars/artillery (but not so much any flak or ATG you trip over!).

Needs a map with some screening cover- hills, buildings, low visibility or woods - in the wide open steppe, they are far less able to hide and so they get shot up by MMGs etc. unless you can find a hidden route - up a sinken river or valley say.

Also good to take the objectives and then get out of there quickly before any AI plotted arty arrives, then go off on a rear zome smash and grab mission.

But that is as raiders and not scouts (though they can do the dismount in cover and walk up to a vantage point thing as well).

Motorcycle troops are seriously fast, especially if you get to use a road into the enemey rear that is not overwatched. Excellent in cities, though usually get badly smacked if they bump into an unexpected enemy. So buy a few platoons!.

Suhiir July 26th, 2023 12:09 PM

Not played near as much WW2 as MBT but I'm partial to cavalry with dismounts (need to make your own at times).

Much the same as motorcycles, tho not as fast, HOWEVER they can traverse almost any terrain type pretty effectively.

zovs66 July 26th, 2023 02:55 PM

For me it’s just plain old infantry scout teams (4-6 men), most of the time with an occasional armored car section for special duties.

Dion July 26th, 2023 05:59 PM

I like plain old fashion infantry scouts best too. Sometimes I will pair them up with forward observers, but they seem to slow down the scouting unit, which is vitally important considering how important speed is when scouting.

codman July 26th, 2023 08:03 PM

Neat ideas gents. Thanks!

Never thought about motorcycles with dismounts!

Once this battle is done, I see some core expansion in my future... ;)

Warwick July 27th, 2023 12:12 AM

BT tanks pair nicely with cavalry for raids in the enemies rear.

jp10 July 28th, 2023 11:05 PM

Most scout work takes place before the deliberate attacks. It can help scouts if you drop arty/smoke to hide their movement or suppress enemy observation.

sigeena August 7th, 2023 12:28 AM

Any unit that is smaller than size 1. Best if it has radio and can therefore help adjust for fires.

Has short ranged weapon, keep to contact range not more than 1 so they don't accidentally give away their presence.

You can only move mounted in the first couple of turns. After that, its always dismounted movement towards an OP location.