.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Attack order (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44130)

ghoul31 October 11th, 2009 08:36 AM

Attack order

If you attack an enemy province, and at the same time, he attacks you, which province will the fight take place in? Is it totally random?

Psycho October 11th, 2009 09:22 AM

Re: Attack order

In my experience it is random.

WraithLord October 11th, 2009 10:34 AM

I think there's some kind of order between nations. I noticed for some consecutive turns that nation A always got to to move before nation B. Then at some point this has changed and nation B always got to move before A.
I think. according to what I saw, that the random element is between turns.

thejeff October 11th, 2009 10:38 AM

There is also a chance that the armies will miss each other and fights take place in each province. It's rare. More common with at least one small army, a thug for example. Or when trying to use a suicide commander to delay the attack.

Illuminated One October 11th, 2009 12:11 PM

It depends on the province numbers. The battle is resolved always in the province with the higher number. Just open up your mp game go through all the battles and look at the numbers...

WraithLord October 11th, 2009 12:16 PM

Illuminated One, that's a most useful insight. I'll check it later but I don't really doubt your claim :)

Thanks!

WraithLord October 11th, 2009 12:32 PM

Illuminated One, if nation A had an army in P1 and B an army in P2 and both were given orders to move to independent or nation C province P3. Is the order of attacks deterministic?- Does your high province # rule still apply?

Psycho October 11th, 2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WraithLord (Post 714301)
Illuminated One, if nation A had an army in P1 and B an army in P2 and both were given orders to move to independent or nation C province P3. Is the order of attacks deterministic?- Does your high province # rule still apply?

In this case the nation with the lower nation id attacks first. Or at least that used to be the case. Maybe now it is randomized the same way as casting order - 50% in ascending order, 50% in descending order.

thejeff October 11th, 2009 01:23 PM

Not quite.

In each turn, battles take place in order by province number either high to low or low to high. Apparently determined randomly. The first two turns I checked were in opposite order.
This mechanism is used in a lot of places. Ritual casting order is probably the other most obvious one.

It's possible that where the battle takes place in the case of armies crossing each other is determined by a similar mechanism, but I don't think that's been shown, and I don't have a case sitting around to check. It could also be based on nation id order.
All movement occurs before any movement caused battles occur, so the order battles happen in is not necessarily related to the order movement happens in.

The order of battles when 2 armies attack a 3rd nation's province is unlikely to be related to province number. More likely nation id order (or reversed nation id order). From observation, the battles will occur in the order least advantageous to me. How they play out when I'm not concerned is unknown. And irrelevant.

Aeshi October 11th, 2009 01:56 PM

Pretty sure the movement speed of the army comes into it somewhere