.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer and AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   MP: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI. Game Over. Team ACGHHS wins! (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43928)

Septimius Severus September 14th, 2009 05:23 PM

Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Recruiting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispedersen (Post 710170)
Hey Sept.

Kudos for continuing the thread, and for creating interesting games.

I'd like to join, I think I qualify as a vet. I'd like to be considered for the Devas, if they'll have me; EA-Mictlan please.

Welcome Chris, your in for the Devas as Mictlan.

Septimius Severus September 14th, 2009 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looking through the available Dom2 and Dom3 maps, the closest fit I could find to match my intended setup seems to be one of the WOG arena series. However those maps are too large and/or may not be AI friendly.

I have therefore created a simple non-wrapping waterless square random map and have proposed two alternate versions of starting locations.

Map legend:

Solid red circles are the AI team starts, hollow red cirles are optional or bonus AI starts (that is if it is possible to give the AI (and not the human teams) two starting locations.

All other colors are the human team starts (whoever does the AI builds will be deciding which human team goes where).

The purple x represents the approximate center of the map and may be a good location for a powerful magic site.

The first option has the human teams arranged in sort of a square formation, the second has them lined up in straight lines.

AlgaeNymph September 14th, 2009 05:52 PM

Option 1 is much better, each player has more space.

Septimius Severus September 14th, 2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgaeNymph (Post 710226)
Option is much better, each player has more space.

Do you mean option 1?

AlgaeNymph September 14th, 2009 06:05 PM

Oh.:o

Yes, Option 1.

pyg September 14th, 2009 06:41 PM

It appears to me that the AI starts are a bit high relative to the map... closer to the Green team and farther from the Blue one than exactly equidistant.

PsiSoldier September 14th, 2009 08:08 PM

Yeah, What Pyg said.. Like in one case the AI is only separated from green by 1 province where as it is separated from the opposing blue by 3 And the other green is separated by 2 spaces where the other blue is separated by 4 or 5.

AlgaeNymph September 14th, 2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyg (Post 710239)
It appears to me that the AI starts are a bit high relative to the map... closer to the Green team and farther from the Blue one than exactly equidistant.

And this is for both maps.

chrispedersen September 14th, 2009 09:22 PM

Is there a .map file available?

Septimius Severus September 15th, 2009 01:55 AM

You guys are right, the AI's are a bit high and a little to close to green I just noticed it. The imprecision of a random map (the provinces are smaller to the south) has caused this though it actually looks dead center if you were to count the pixels. I'll make quick fix to make things a bit more even, but do you guys generally prefer the squarish setup that Algae Nymph chose or the straight line one?

Thanks for the input.

Chris, I'll include the unmodified .map file for those who wish to check province connections. I've made fairly certain that no starting position is directly neighboring another and that each starting locale has at least 4 neighbors. The map is 240 provinces large (15 per player).

To keep the corners from being neglected, I'll also likely move the extra/optional AI starting provinces to the corners if OK with everyone.