.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   what difference makes unit size in combat ? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=17864)

Ragnarok-X February 16th, 2004 08:35 PM

what difference makes unit size in combat ?

basic question, see topic. is there anything about size beyond used support ?

ty in advance.

PhilD February 16th, 2004 08:48 PM

Re: what difference makes unit size in combat ?

Quote:

Originally posted by Ragnarok-X:
basic question, see topic. is there anything about size beyond used support ?

ty in advance.

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">When trampling: only a larger unit may trample, and I believe the effectiveness of the trample depends on the size difference.

Also, a grid square during battle can only hold 6 total size of units, so that's pretty important: it will determine how many units can be affected by an area spell, and so on.

Gandalf Parker February 16th, 2004 08:48 PM

the ability to trample or be trampled.
I think it also matters in being hit by arrows and possibly some spells (not sure on that)

Taqwus February 16th, 2004 09:41 PM

You can't Wind Ride a size-6 commander.
Succubi can't seduce a size-4+ commander.
I suspect it affects how many can use certain items like flying carpets, although I haven't tried flying Jotuns lately.

Taqwus February 17th, 2004 10:48 PM

One more diff, this time combat-related -- Midget Masher does double-damage to smaller monsters, if memory serves. Don't give it to a Hoburg unless you insist on irony.

Ragnarok-X February 18th, 2004 05:17 PM

somewhere i read that a horde of small units is good at taking out BIG units, what does this mean ? Is this referring to the fact that each attack reduces defense by 1 for one turn or is there anything else beyond this ?

fahdiz February 18th, 2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ragnarok-X:
somewhere i read that a horde of small units is good at taking out BIG units, what does this mean ? Is this referring to the fact that each attack reduces defense by 1 for one turn or is there anything else beyond this ?
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Well, it makes sense in terms of realism, since a lot of small units are going to surround the giant and get in quite a few hits, whereas most big units are slow and only get to attack once per turn. So the small units, acting quickly, will wear the big guy down faster than the biggie can take care of them all.

That of course refers to a group of small units attacking an *unsupported* big guy...add support units into the mix, or multiple giants, and the situation is quite different.

[ February 18, 2004, 15:25: Message edited by: fahdiz ]

moodgiesanta February 18th, 2004 05:40 PM

Size doesn't matter. It's how you use it.

Endoperez February 18th, 2004 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by moodgiesanta:
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Size does matter. Check the previous post about Succubus.

fahdiz February 18th, 2004 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Endoperez:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Originally posted by moodgiesanta:

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Size does matter. Check the previous post about Succubus. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Endoperez, I think moodgiesanta was being facetious. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon12.gif