.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   War is boring link (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51248)

DRG May 31st, 2016 01:09 PM

War is boring link

https://warisboring.com/steel-panthe...acc#.kn7kl6njk

The screen shots certainly could have been better.......but at least they are OUR screen shots

Don

troopie May 31st, 2016 01:16 PM

Re: War is boring link

Your link sent me to Atlanta. 404 error.

troopie

RightDeve May 31st, 2016 02:42 PM

Just when I have a craving to read someone's review of Steel Panthers, and here it is!
Interesting read, except at the end...where seemingly SPWAW is superior to SPWW2.

It's funny how the author inferred that SPWAW has a more beautiful graphics, yet all screenshots are from Camo's/Shrapnelgames version.

SPWAW, according to the author, is noteworthy for its "...improved art and sound" and
"...for its additional bells and whistles, including an armor-penetration model that uses real-world armor values and game mechanics such as the ability to plan parachute and glider landings, infiltrate special forces behind enemy lines and decide whether or not to take opportunity shots."

Anyone who has played the Camo's version knows for sure that those are not the specialty for just SPWAW. In fact, I think SPWAW art-style seems cartoony, and its map graphics has too much contrast, not a lot of color shades there, as compared to Camo's version (which is more gritty & realistic-looking in my opinion). Realistic armor-penetration model, SPMBT & SPWW2 have that too. Parachute & glider landing, ditto. Infiltrate special forces behind enemy lines...what the hell? As if it's a "unique feature"! :D

The only exception would be the choice whether to open Opportunity fire when on enemy's turn.... well, this feature is rather cumbersome, it really slows down gameplay for no appreciable benefit on realism, and besides, the AI doesn't utilize it, and human players rarely bother with the much slower playing workflow. Camo's version tackles this problem beautifully with the OpFire Filtering mechanism.

But the most important and hugest difference between SPWAW and the Camo's versions is the fact that Camo Workshop continually updates (and is still continually updating) the games, not only fixing bugs, but also expanding, researching, & correcting OOBs, more unit icons & graphics, new gameplay features, and more Campaigns & Scenarios. As if that's not enough, the fact that the developers are actively interacting with users on the Forum & listening to user feedback, is a huge huge difference.

RD

PS: Troopie, the link is "censored" by the Forum due to inclusion of the word "ass" in the address. Google it, or simply retype the address to include the word "ass".

DRG May 31st, 2016 06:22 PM

Lets try THIS ...........

Well that didn't work either........I hate being "Nannyied"

Google ........

Venerable hex game is free to download

and that should get you the link as the first choice

Suhiir May 31st, 2016 07:28 PM

404 error Don.

DRG May 31st, 2016 09:36 PM

Yes, we know Shrapnel is nannying the link

Google ........

Venerable hex game is free to download

troopie June 1st, 2016 03:08 AM

Thank for your suggestion. I did so.

troopie

DRG June 1st, 2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightDeve (Post 834392)
Just when I have a craving to read someone's review of Steel Panthers, and here it is!
Interesting read, except at the end...where seemingly SPWAW is superior to SPWW2.

It's funny how the author inferred that SPWAW has a more beautiful graphics, yet all screenshots are from Camo's/Shrapnelgames version.

SPWAW, according to the author, is noteworthy for its "...improved art and sound" and
"...for its additional bells and whistles, including an armor-penetration model that uses real-world armor values and game mechanics such as the ability to plan parachute and glider landings, infiltrate special forces behind enemy lines and decide whether or not to take opportunity shots."

Anyone who has played the Camo's version knows for sure that those are not the specialty for just SPWAW. In fact, I think SPWAW art-style seems cartoony, and its map graphics has too much contrast, not a lot of color shades there, as compared to Camo's version (which is more gritty & realistic-looking in my opinion). Realistic armor-penetration model, SPMBT & SPWW2 have that too. Parachute & glider landing, ditto. Infiltrate special forces behind enemy lines...what the hell? As if it's a "unique feature"! :D

The only exception would be the choice whether to open Opportunity fire when on enemy's turn.... well, this feature is rather cumbersome, it really slows down gameplay for no appreciable benefit on realism, and besides, the AI doesn't utilize it, and human players rarely bother with the much slower playing workflow. Camo's version tackles this problem beautifully with the OpFire Filtering mechanism.

But the most important and hugest difference between SPWAW and the Camo's versions is the fact that Camo Workshop continually updates (and is still continually updating) the games, not only fixing bugs, but also expanding, researching, & correcting OOBs, more unit icons & graphics, new gameplay features, and more Campaigns & Scenarios. As if that's not enough, the fact that the developers are actively interacting with users on the Forum & listening to user feedback, is a huge huge difference.

RD

Yeah I wonder what planet WaW has "improved Art"....gimme a break.... most of the Icons in WaW are MY early attempts that have been replaced in our games ( except for one of the "unoffical" mods for it that used------without permission......the newer Icons from SPWW2 .. I will grant the sounds are more extensive but thats ONLY because neither Andy nor I play with sound on so it's not an issue for either of us and "an armor-penetration model that uses real-world armor values" was simply converting centimeters to millimeters but you cannot do that for MBT as the millimeters values of modern tanks go beyond the fundamental capability of the game engine to use and display------- and it makes bugger all difference to game play anyway except MAYBE ( big maybe........) anti-tank rifles vs thin armoured targets that the random variables even out

Don

MarkSheppard June 1st, 2016 04:54 PM

War is boring is...not known for in depth research into what they're talking about. :p

keif149 June 1st, 2016 06:32 PM

I was flooded with junk mail after visiting that web page.
:-/