.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   OT: BSG - wtf? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=38242)

gregebowman March 31st, 2008 07:32 PM

OT: BSG - wtf?

I watched the Battlestar Galactica special last Friday night, and I sure was suprised toward the end. Tori, Tigh, Tyrol and Anders are all Cylons? I'm still trying to catch up last season as I'm watching the dvd set for season 3, but that totally floors me. And what makes them the "special" 5? And who will be the 12th Cylon? If it's Adama, I'll throw away all of my BSG dvd's. That would make no sense at all. I think they were implying that Starbuck might be one, but I was trying to watch teh show with my nephew and son playing in the same room. I might have missed a detail or two. Anybody know more about this? I don't visit the official websites or any of the fansites that might be out there, so I'm clueless. I'll have to watch the rest of the dvd's (I finished watching 4 out of the 6). I just can't wait to watch season 4. I have a chance to now, and I'll watch as many episodes as I can so I don't have to wait months to find out what happened.

Arkcon March 31st, 2008 07:46 PM

Re: OT: BSG - wtf?

As I understand it, because of the writer's strike, there will be half of the remaining episodes next season, and the other half the season after that. So it's a long wait.

FWIW, I wasn't too keen on on middle of the series. Too many US in Iraq parallels. And it's a little gross each captured female cylon gets gang raped or attempted or beaten up or whatever.

But I am enjoying this -- who're the final cylons -- storyline, ever since the Eye of Jupiter episode, I've finally been pulled in to this gritty scifi drama.

There's a BS wiki that people have been filling in pretty heavily, they work in conjectures into the articles for each episode, and as the facts are revealed, they change the question to a link to the revealing episode. So you can catch up.

Slick March 31st, 2008 09:21 PM

Here's an 8-minute synopis of the whole show starting from the first episode and it steps you thru the entire series until the end of season 3. Well, as much as possible in 8 minutes. And it has some funny moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grfI3Yv6T0Q

Atrocities March 31st, 2008 09:32 PM

Ya, the mind games of people who have no idea where the story is going until they write it.

gregebowman April 11th, 2008 11:16 AM

OK, I've finally finished watching all of the Season 3 episodes. It still doesn't explain out of all of the billions of humans that existed prior to the cylon attack, these 4 people are still living. Just the odds of them surviving the attack were astronomical, let alone to be in or near persons of power. You got Tigh, who's apparently been a Cylon for 30 years without knowing it, and is a bosom buddy to Adama AND second in command of the Galactica (although a pretty lousy one). There's Tory, who's Roslin's chief of staff. I'm still wandering if Lucy Lawless's charachter had anything to do with killing off Billy, since we never even saw Tory until Bill was killed off. Awful darn coincidental, seems to me. There's Chief Tyrol, who's the only surviving CPO of teh ship, with access to all of the Vipers and Raptors. And there's Anders, who through his marriage to Starbuck, has access to the pilots. How did the Cylons know where to place these people? And who's the 5th one? Have you noticed that all of them have a T in their name? From the premier episdoe, we found out that Anders middle initial is T. Could that mean Kara Thrace is teh 5th cylon? We only have about 19 episodes to find out.

Raapys April 11th, 2008 11:29 AM

Perhaps there are different Cylons? It's obvious one group of Cylons are trying very hard to kill them, but there might be others.

Anyway, isn't it pretty obvious Kara is a cylon? If she isn't then she'd have to have psychic powers( she says she can feel they're jumping in the wrong direction ), and that'd be even more silly.

Suicide Junkie April 11th, 2008 01:04 PM

Or, in a twist, she could not be a cylon, and instead just be crazy! Nobody would see *that* coming.

Atrocities April 11th, 2008 02:00 PM

At this point, do we even really care?

narf poit chez BOOM April 11th, 2008 06:00 PM

This fanfic is rather good (And a bit silly). Also, a Battletech crossover.

Why watch a bad show when there's good fanfic of it?

Arkcon April 12th, 2008 05:32 PM

I suppose we could start commenting in this thread about how we figure the last episodes will go. But, given that there are no fewer (by my count) 3 more prequel series to come out yet, I'm figuring even when we see the last episode, we wont see the answer.

'Course, I like the spoiler Edward James Olmos related at one time: I can't find the exact quote on the Battlestar Wiki, but basically the fleet jumps into orbit around Earth, and we promptly nuke the entire fleet, and Dubya appears and says "Did we get 'em?" And his Cylon advisors say "Good job."

Atrocities April 12th, 2008 11:21 PM

SPOILER

"Baltar is God. If you haven't figured it out yet, he is not a cylon, he is THE cylon. He is GOD."

Wow, what a revelation. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...s/rolleyes.gif

And of course Kara is not a cylon, but Lee's wife is.

Combat Wombat April 13th, 2008 01:55 AM

I am almost completely sure the final cylon is a character we have not met or has only played a minor role so far

Randallw April 13th, 2008 02:58 AM

I am firmly of the opinion when the Galactica finds Earth the Cylons will appear soon behind them. Earth's Imperial Home Fleet will then blow the Cylons out of space in about 5 seconds.

I used to watch each episode as a friend managed to give them to me, but I lost interest when after the New Caprica bit they just spend episode after episode being all philosophical and eventually have an entire episode seemingly devoted to beating each other in the head. Hard to reach a decision when you get brain damage.

gregebowman April 14th, 2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Atrocities said:
SPOILER

"Baltar is God. If you haven't figured it out yet, he is not a cylon, he is THE cylon. He is GOD."

Wow, what a revelation. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...s/rolleyes.gif

And of course Kara is not a cylon, but Lee's wife is.

I don't think you're too far off. I personally feel that Baltar is a 13th unknown/unrevealed Cylon. I think that he is the Imperial Leader that they used to mention in the old show, but was never seen. He's just being groomed with all of these adversaries before he's aware of who he really is.

Growlytiger April 14th, 2008 01:44 PM

Errr... this is going to sound really stupid (it might not have made its way to the UK yet), but are we talking about a new Battlestar Galactica (ie not one with bad 70's hairstyles and Dirk Benedict as Starbuck) http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...s/confused.gif

GuyOfDoom April 14th, 2008 02:18 PM

Yeah SciFi channel is it's infinite wisdom decided to do a remake of BSG. It changed a lot of the various minor plot points, but tried to keep the overall humans vs. cylons.

Growlytiger April 14th, 2008 02:27 PM

Is it any good? Hopefully, it does not repeat all the duplicate shots from the originals

Raapys April 14th, 2008 02:30 PM

About average, I'd say. At least most episodes are worth watching, although there was a period with alot of really boring ones in a row.

Growlytiger April 14th, 2008 02:42 PM

OK, sounds like it might be one for a Friday night from the video shop, provided there is no decent sporting event on or they are re-running The Vicar of Dibley on Bravo

gregebowman April 14th, 2008 08:21 PM

One thing I want to know and that is this. How did the Cylons channel Jimmy Hendrix? I didn't even recognize that song until they played it at the end of the last episode of season 3. That was some lamo version of it. I love "All Along The Watchtower", but couldn't recognize it.

Arkcon April 14th, 2008 08:56 PM

I dunno, maybe Bob Dylan and George Harrison were trading bong hits in the dish of a radio telescope, and Bob goes to George, "Naw, man, new, wait a sec, man. The Jimi thing was cool, but let's hear Ravi play it." And then he took it and ran with it, but they never recorded it, cause they all got the munchies the next morning? Or something.

I watched the reruns before the new season, to be in the best mode for it, and the inserted lines were funny, at one time, a drunk Saul Tigh says, "There's too much confusion ..." I'll have to watch those two episodes again, see if other lines are worked in ... 'though I figure I would have noticed, "businessmen drink my wine, ploughmen dig my herbs"

Black_Knyght April 17th, 2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

gregebowman said:
One thing I want to know and that is this. How did the Cylons channel Jimmy Hendrix? I didn't even recognize that song until they played it at the end of the last episode of season 3. That was some lamo version of it. I love "All Along The Watchtower", but couldn't recognize it.

That version was done by Bear McCreary. He does ALL the music for BSG

Arkcon April 17th, 2008 10:27 PM

Yeah, I know, I was just being funny, and trying to work in a technobabble explanation. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif FWIW, I like the idea that the signal made it to the remote nebula, as some sort of audio beacon from the 13th tribe. What does it mean, I have to wonder.

And I liked the breezy sitar version they wrote for BSG. You have no idea, how many people, on other forums, have no idea that Bob Dylan wrote the song first, everyone just screams, "What did they do to Jimi's song? We wanna hear Jimi." When corrected, they actually get belligerent, some refuse to believe Bob Dylan wrote it.

I truly don't know for sure, one way or the other, if Dylan and Harrison ever met, it's just when I hear a sitar, I think of Ravi Shankar, and George Harrison, and well, marijuana, and Bob Dylan, and Jimi Hendrix. Of course, radio telescopes and nebulas just follow logically, after that.

Black_Knyght April 18th, 2008 04:28 AM

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/yawn.gif [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img]

Randallw April 18th, 2008 10:11 AM

Well in the original they were 10ly from earth when they detected the Moon landing. I'm pretty certain there are no nebulii within 10ly of Earth. At least there weren't last time I looked in the sky...........in the daytime.

Will April 18th, 2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Combat Wombat said:
I am almost completely sure the final cylon is a character we have not met or has only played a minor role so far

Romo Lampkin. You heard it here first. (He's supposed to show up once in the first 10 episodes, and once more in the last 10).

AngleWyrm April 19th, 2008 03:05 AM

Or how about that guy who can't seem to hold down a job for more than an episode or two, but still somehow manages to be an expert.
Flyboy. Military Advisor. Detective. Captain. Lawyer. Politician.

Great Gobs of Guano, Batman, that Jack of all trades really ought to suck.

Ragnarok-X April 19th, 2008 04:12 AM

Shouldnt it be pretty obvious that Baltasar is the 12th Cylon ?
In the last episode he did appear to himself, just like what the blonde cylon did. I believe that indicates that he is a cylon as well.

Atrocities April 19th, 2008 04:30 AM

That is why he is God and not a cylon. Really who knows whats going on with Baltar. I sincerely doubt they will make him out to be a cylon in the end. Ironically he might turn out to be the only real human in the entire fleet. ROFLMAO... and now that the toasters, the chrome ones, have "feelings", who knows, they might turn on their masters and wipe them all out.

AngleWyrm April 19th, 2008 08:00 AM

Back in the second season, there was an interesting scene where the humans captured two Brother Cavel cylons, and the cylons described the role of their preachers as exactly the opposite of human preachers:

President: Where did the Cylons go -- back to their homeworld?
Cavil#1:Well I'de rather not say just now, uh let's just say we have other plans.
Adama(cynically): New marching orders by your One True God.
Cavil#2: There is no God.
Cavil#1: Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night.
Cavil#2: At least that's what we've been telling the others for years.
Cavil#1: Can't really prove it one way or the other of course.

But in the latest episode, seems that the One True God is proving the cylon preachers wrong, and that the 'primitive' cylons who worship their One True God (love?) are right.

And Six loves Baltar. And Baltar loves everybody...

...Hey what ever happened to their bizzarro cross-bred foursome baby? She should be about two or three by now. What will her first word be?

narf poit chez BOOM April 19th, 2008 09:41 AM

"GET ME OUT OF HERE! DIE, YOU FREAKISH PATCHWORK OF A SHOW!"

Hey, that would be my response.

GuyOfDoom April 19th, 2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

narf poit chez BOOM said:

I second that. I've only watched a few episodes and they weren't that great.

Xrati April 19th, 2008 12:42 PM

The cylons are now more like the humans that they hope to destroy. Ironic isn't it? Now that their "primary" enemy is near the end (so they think), they've already turned on each other...

Hey wait a minute... GuyOfDoom GOD!!! Are you the one the cylons are looking for? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...es/biggrin.gif

rstaats10 April 19th, 2008 01:45 PM

I personally like the original BSG series a lot better. But as a kid, I grew up watching the original series every week. I personally like the cylons looking like "machines" versus humans. The new series is way too confusing for me as well. More of a soap opera show. I don't watch the new series BSG anymore. I know some people like it though. This is just my opinion.

Renegade 13 April 19th, 2008 04:43 PM

Baltar's not a cylon. He's just f%^#ing insane.

Atrocities April 20th, 2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Very well spoken Narf. You get 5 gold stars.

Atrocities April 20th, 2008 12:25 AM

There is a real concerted effort going on to have the old show remastered with replaced up to day special effects. Gone would be all of those campy stock footage and reused special effect shots. Look at the success of the Remastered Star Trek OS episodes to see why. (Done with care it makes the best better.)

gregebowman April 21st, 2008 01:28 PM

I like that idea. I can't afford to buy the remastered Star Trek right now, but since we're only talking 18 episodes, it might be more affordable for me if they did that to BSG.

On the idea of an obscure character showing up to be the 12th Cylon, what about Boxey? He was in the mini-series, and I think an episode or two of the 1st season, but I haven't seen him since then. What do you think?

Randallw April 21st, 2008 11:13 PM

Didn't boxy get nuked. They couldn't save everyone so they left behind those ships without a jump drive. There was a scene where the someone is sitting on one of the abandoned ships when they Cylons arrive and nuke it.

Atrocities April 21st, 2008 11:19 PM

No, he wasn't nuked, although I think that would have been a great plot twist. I think he figured out that Bomber was a cylon and she blew his *** out into space. They wrote him out of the show. I think its on the DVD or something, one of the commentaries.

Atrocities April 21st, 2008 11:22 PM

What I want to know is this, in the early episodes they couldn't get pilots, but now they have a crap load of them. The continuity of the show really sucks. The cylons blow up a ship with 600 people on it and the number still is like 49ooo or something.

The show might improve and when it does, give me a call. I won't be waiting by the phone.

Atrocities April 21st, 2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

gregebowman said:
I like that idea. I can't afford to buy the remastered Star Trek right now, but since we're only talking 18 episodes, it might be more affordable for me if they did that to BSG.

I think there are 22 episodes of BSG. Yup, 22 episodes. And they have remasted every episode of TOS. You can by them in a set at Amazon.

narf poit chez BOOM April 22nd, 2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Atrocities said:
Quote:

Very well spoken Narf. You get 5 gold stars.

Yaay, one step closer to galactic domination!

GuyOfDoom April 22nd, 2008 11:30 AM

I've only watched the first episode "33" and after that show I was baffled as to how they could continue the show. I'm convinced people are just starving for any kind of Sci-Fi these days.

Xrati April 22nd, 2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Yaay, one step closer to galactic domination!

Narf, are you the twelfth cylon? http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/image...s/confused.gif

narf poit chez BOOM April 23rd, 2008 04:32 AM

No. I'm a mad scientist mouse.

I thought that was obvious.

Makinus April 23rd, 2008 05:01 PM

BSG was a very good in the 1st season, good in the 2nd season... then it sort of derailed in the 3rd season and now i´m watching the 4th season only for a sense of completion...

I´m my opinion the worst ever episode of the new series was the boxing one... anything else was a step up from that...

just my 2 cents

Xrati April 24th, 2008 12:09 PM

Maybe its like the B5 sequels. The people with the money telling the producers what to do OR worse, 'Marketing' people (talk about being out of touch with mainstream life)!!!

Atrocities April 24th, 2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Xrati said:
Maybe its like the B5 sequels. The people with the money telling the producers what to do OR worse, 'Marketing' people (talk about being out of touch with mainstream life)!!!

Huh? No one told JMS what to do with his B5 movie from last year. Which was very good light B5. Testing the water and seeing if there was demand, which there wasn't because everyone just P2P the movie and cheated JMS out revenue so thats the reason there won't be any more B5 movies.

Ragnarok-X April 24th, 2008 01:45 PM

Actually, i believe to recall reading that the B5 movie sold pretty well ?