.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Info: WinSPMBT version 9.1 Upgrade patch ( May 2015) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50713)

DRG March 23rd, 2015 05:12 PM

WinSPMBT version 9.1 Upgrade patch ( May 2015)

Released in early April 2015

WinSPMBT version 9.0 Upgrade patch

( Released as WinSPMBT version 7.0 - version 9.0 Consolidation patch )

19 New Scenarios
4 Revised Scenarios
3 Campaigns added
2 Revised Campaigns
46 Revised Campaign files
4 New or Revised Map files
531 New or Revised Photos
104 New or Revised Icons
93 Updated OOB Files includes 1 NEW OOB
36 New or Revised Icon Graphic files
106 New or Revised Text files
1 Revised picklist file
Upgraded Game Options
Upgraded MBT_APCalc
Upgraded Cost Calculator
Upgraded ScenHack
Upgraded Camo Map Editor

The cheap Direct support / General support artillery bug has been fixed. If Player 1 bought Direct support or General support artillery and then immediately let the AI purchase it's units that would trip a code flag and the AI would purchase it's units at a reduced cost. This has been corrected

Ice edited into a map was reporting as being "tramlines". This has been corrected
A Campaign wide river bug has been corrected.

The Hot key to exit game was x, which, unfortunately, was the same as another pre-existing hotkey. The game exit Hotkey is now ' / ' ( below ' ? ' )

A bug with secure PBEM games losing any Opfire filters or plotted artillery barrages has been corrected.

There is a new cost calculator for winSPMBT. The old version was under-costing radar fire control
Battles involving Syria and Iraq vs Mujahideen for current dates have had new battle locations put into the game

Georgian has been added as a new Nation to the extended version of the game starting May 1991

The end date of Chechen OOB is now May 2000

ISIL / ISIS troops have been added to the Mujahideen OOB. The AI will used these units when Mujahideen is an AI opponent for Syria or Iraq

A large number of game screens have been revamped to give the text more contrast on screen therefore making them easier to read.

Scenario designers can now edit icon and photo numbers that display in a scenario with the in game scenario editor in winSPMBT using the Miscellaneous button. WinSPWW2 already had the ability for icon change but now has photos added as well.

Additionally, owners of the Extended version of the game can use the CLONE feature to mass edit Icon and / or Photo changes into a scenario. This allows scenario designers the ability use variations for a particular unit if they exist in the graphics folder. The list and Icon numbers for all units in the game can be found in the Game Data / Design folder but photos you'll need to use MOBHack to find. This particular feature is useful for creating parked aircraft from other units like like Jeeps and trucks. The scenario designer can then add the appropriate photo number they found using MOBHack

There have been a number of code changes to the way the game handles units in shallow water. Shallow water was added to generated beach maps not long after we issued the windows versions of both games and shallow water was shown as different than deep water on the mini map and along shores on the main map for the past few years but there had been no further update to that until this year. Vehicles and troops could traverse shallow water at a greatly reduced rate of speed but when tanks or barges etc. were destroyed they were removed from the map as if sunk in deep water. This is no longer the case. Any boat, barge and any land unit that would show as a wreck on land will now show as a wreck in shallow water and surviving passengers and crew will bail out. So no longer will a DD tank that had entered shallow water be "sunk" with all hands if knocked out heading towards shore in shallow water. Normal tanks that are unloaded in shallow water and knocked out while wading towards shore will now show as a wreck and possibly eject surviving crew just as if they were on land. LVT's will eject crew and passengers if any survive the attack that knocked out their vehicle. This adds an additional level of realism to the game during beach assaults.

Additionally, scenario designers can now directly edit in Shallow water when creating maps. Now, when the water button is pressed in either the in game or extended map editor, you will be asked "Press 1 for -3 deep water or Press 2 for -1 shallow water "......... -3 deep water being the standard "water" available previously in all versions of Steel Panthers. This new feature works with all the normal game editing features so you can left click for a single hex or right click for a single hex and the six hexes around that point or you can set the range fill feature. You will NOT see a change in the main map water tiles. Shallow water is identified by passing the cursor over a hex OR by looking at the mini map which has shown shallow water on maps for a number of years. Future updates MAY include shallow water tiles but nothing has been planned in that regard yet. A LOT of code work would be involved in that change.

The game guide HTML files have been amalgamated into one file so any keyword search will now find them all without changing to a new page and re-doing the search.

28 pages of suggested OOB changes and/or corrections have been reviewed , researched and applied to the game along with a number of changes we made to enhance OOB accuracy and / or completeness.

EJ March 23rd, 2015 11:52 PM

Re: WinSPMBT version 9.0 Upgrade patch (2015)

DRG & Andy, AS always THANKS for keeping this game GREAT! Looking forward to this patch.

scorpio_rocks March 24th, 2015 04:05 AM

WOW! Thanks guys! Surprised and delighted how much will be in the update (considering this was a year off! :P )

Warhero March 24th, 2015 04:49 AM

Thanks in advance guys:)! Nice to see Georgia as new OOB...

cbreedon March 24th, 2015 11:36 AM

Thanks Guys!

I have a question though. I see several references to the 'extended version'. What is that?

I have the purchased copy.

DRG March 24th, 2015 11:39 AM

CD version=purchased copy=Extended version

kingbowl March 24th, 2015 02:00 PM

keep up the good work

SaS TrooP March 24th, 2015 10:09 PM

Jesus! Finally a new nation to come! Georgia Masterz! Georia Masterz!
And looking for new scenarios as well ^^

Imp March 26th, 2015 01:36 AM

Wow guys so much for the sabbatical, I and I am sure most of the community thank you for your dedication over the years & turning a great game into something wonderful.

Miketee10022 March 26th, 2015 01:48 AM

Wonderful news! Thank you SO much for this new update!:)

cbreedon March 27th, 2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 829011)

Interesting.. How do I access the other countries in the extended version?

Mobhack March 27th, 2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbreedon (Post 829054)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 829011)

Interesting.. How do I access the other countries in the extended version?

Assuming that you have the full game, then you simply wait until the patch is released. Then you can play with the newly introduced country (Georgia) via its flag button on the usual nation picker screens.

EpoletovSPR March 28th, 2015 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 829004)
A bug with secure PBEM games losing any Opfire filters or plotted artillery barrages has been corrected.

Thank you very much for this. :up:

Paderborn March 29th, 2015 04:42 PM

Wow! Unexpected and great news!:D

Roman March 31st, 2015 06:18 PM

Thanks guys developers!!!

Warhero April 6th, 2015 03:37 AM

Any hope to get this tomorrow:P?

Mobhack April 6th, 2015 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhero (Post 829168)
Any hope to get this tomorrow:P?

We are working on the release process ATM, it should be with you sometime this week.

cheers
Andy

Mobhack April 8th, 2015 05:25 AM

The MBT patch is now up at the MBT page http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Wo.../MBT_page.html

Its a V7->V9 consolidation patch that includes the 8.0 stuff - so the 8.0 patch file has been removed from there as unnecessary.

cheers
Andy

BigDuke66 April 8th, 2015 03:11 PM

The name irritates me, do I still need Patch 7?

Mobhack April 8th, 2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDuke66 (Post 829206)
The name irritates me, do I still need Patch 7?

If installing from new, then install the patches to get your game to V7 and then apply the new one and the job's done.

If your game is currently on V8, ie yoou installed the 2014 patch last year, then this new patch still does the job of upgrading that to V9.

Andy

Rich April 8th, 2015 07:18 PM

This works very well. I'll now be able to play the game with the 1600 resolution compared to 1028x764. Thank you for this patch. Not sure why you left the top strip red though. I can hardly wait until next year's patch when you won't be taking a year off.

cbreedon April 9th, 2015 10:10 AM

Did Georgia replace anyone or did you guys just rearrange the flags to add one more?

Warhero April 9th, 2015 11:11 AM

Hmm I wonder too where's Georgia flag? Is it just only OOB under Red flag?

Warhero

Mobhack April 9th, 2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhero (Post 829250)
Hmm I wonder too where's Georgia flag? Is it just only OOB under Red flag?

Warhero

Its in the Canadian row, just above the blue star of Somalia. Appears post break-up of fUSSR, and has a red flag in the first period and then the white one with crosses comes later on.

Of course - if you have only the free demo, then you won't see it.

cheers
Andy

Mobhack April 9th, 2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbreedon (Post 829249)
Did Georgia replace anyone or did you guys just rearrange the flags to add one more?

A quick firing up of Mobhack should tell you all you need to know - i.e. there is now one less R&D orbat.

cheers
Andy

Steves308 April 9th, 2015 06:39 PM

My middle-aged eyes appreciate the change in the contrast, the darker background definitely makes viewing easier. Thanks again for this patch, especially considering you guys were taking a year off :D

Paderborn April 10th, 2015 08:41 AM

My 65-year old eyes especially appreciate the improved viewing experience, not to mention the large number of game enhancements. Thank you again guys!

BigDuke66 April 10th, 2015 11:39 AM

I checked the patches manually and so far the latest patch has all the files that come with Patch 7, at least I didn't see any files in patch 7 that were not replaced by patch 9 except the manual that had multiple htm files in patch 7 while patch 9 has it all in a single htm file.

So you can go straight from a Version 6 installation to using patch 9.
And so the name "winSPMBT V7-V9 Consolidation upgrade" also makes sens as it has the contend of Patch 7 to 9.

-Luc- April 11th, 2015 11:35 AM

Hi,
Thank you very much for your work. I'm still playing that game since so many years. Because of you, that game is exceptional.
Thank you again,
-Luc-

Dion April 12th, 2015 06:04 PM

Nice game. Played about 200 games of MBT and about 100 games of WW2. Never would have kept playing all these years without the patches, as each patch adds something to the game. Thanks again.

Paderborn April 13th, 2015 08:49 AM

Fully agree with Dion. Have been playing Steel Panthers since it's highly-flawed DOS days and thanks to Andy and Don, CD game with v.09 upgrades is spectacular.

Steves308 April 14th, 2015 04:08 PM

I'm posting this here as I noticed this minor problem once I upgraded to the ver 9 patch. This is a very minor visual problem.

When in the game, if I right click on an enemy unit, an info box is pulled up. At the bottom of this box, where armor values would be displayed, the rear hull armor value does not appear. If I select the "I" button, I'm taken to another screen that shows more info about the unit. On this screen, the info about the rear hull appears to be correct. I ran some tests shooting at the rear armor of various vehicles, and when I hit I do see the correct armor values for the rear hull when the penetration values appear at the bottom of the screen. So it looks like it's just a display issue. I am running at the larger font, so don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I'm not asking for this to be fixed, and I'm definitely NOT complaining ;^) Just thought I would mention it before the final version of this game is sent to the Wargame Hall of Fame ;^)

Steves308

PS Just noticed if I pull up the info on my units (by hitting the space bar) that the armor values for the rear hull appear noticeably farther away from icon that before the patch. I was using the larger font for the last few months, before the ver 9 patch.

And in case you need more info, running this game on my 16" Toshiba laptop, Windows 7, full screen (not windowed) display, 1366x768 resolution, and I have the CDs, not the free version of the game.

PPS Just noticed it with the WW2 version also, so if it's just a problem with my system, at least it's consistent ;^)

Paderborn April 14th, 2015 05:48 PM

I get the same thing Steves describes with the armor values drifting off to the right overlapping another part of the box.
It doesn't interfere with the game and I do like the more easily read screen.

DRG April 14th, 2015 06:32 PM

I moved the armour markers out a bit to accommodate larger Icons. I had found a number where the armour numbers were set up more for average sized Icons and I moved them out a bit to balance things a bit better.

Unfortunately it looks like I didn't double check the enemy info mini screen , concentrating on the player unit screen and I'm betting when I investigate further the front hull numbers going to be about 10 pixels out so I need to either move the hull and numbers over a bit or just go back to the old numbers.....BUT .....ATM I don't recall if there are screens sharing those numbers or if they are all independent... sharing is definitely a possibility.

It is, as you say. a minor thing but it will be corrected in the next patch. I don't think anyone wins or losses a game on the front hull armour values shown in enemy mini screen but rest assured I *WILL* fix this

Don

jivemi April 15th, 2015 04:02 AM

Don, as punishment for your niggling oversight you are hereby sentenced to three lashes with a wet noodle. Sentence is suspended due to your tireless devotion to this magnificent game and its grateful--if at times querulous--legion of grizzled grognards.

It's good to have you back. Cheers, Jon

DRG May 2nd, 2015 09:48 AM

FYI there will be an winSPMBT ver 9.1 version of the consolidation patch issues sometime early May 2015 to correct the issues noted since the ( necessarily.....) hasty release of 9.0 in early April.

When it is ready we will post a notice of it's availability and the changes made

Don

Airborne Rifles May 2nd, 2015 05:48 PM

Is there an opportunity to submit scenarios to be included as part of the official release?

Mobhack May 2nd, 2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborne Rifles (Post 829692)
Is there an opportunity to submit scenarios to be included as part of the official release?

This is a fix-up release, so probably no. We are working to get them out the door, and new stuff is not really much of that process.

Put them in the scenarios folder, and maybe if Don is felling up to adding them (e,g, have they been user tested?), then maybe, just maybe. But probably not.

Otherwise they will be considered for a future patch.

cheers
Andy

DRG May 2nd, 2015 07:18 PM

Next time. Not now

DRG May 8th, 2015 08:06 AM

Re: WinSPMBT version 9.1 Upgrade patch ( May 2015)

9.1 is now available-changes made are in the game notes

Paderborn May 8th, 2015 10:51 AM

Thank you Don and Andy for your willingness to never let up on improving what are already great games, i.e., winSPMBT and winWW2
for all of us. My wife thanks you as well as she knows how much I enjoy both games.:)

Roman May 20th, 2015 10:47 PM

Thanks guys developers.
Are the games pbem version 9 are affected by the new patch 9.1?
Regards

Mobhack May 21st, 2015 02:55 AM

There have been some OOB changes - so as with all patches, unless stated otherwise, finish off any ongoing PBEM games before applying.

cheers
Andy

Roman May 21st, 2015 09:39 PM

Ok. Thanks

weimaar June 6th, 2015 02:35 PM

Im all new to this game. I have bought the game a couple of years ago back in the heydays of 2010. Now with new patches and all, id like to fire up and give it a go. I have a windows 7 system. Ive got 3 files: 1. the "MBT_DL.zip", the 2. "WinSPMBTver 6.0 Consolidation Patch.zip" and the 3. the "winSPMBT V7-V9.1 Consolidation Upgrade.zip". Installation directory: C:\Spel\WinSPMBT. Overwriting patches.

Ive been trying all day now, first installig 1. then 2. then 3. Starting up with the preloader and getting CTD. Then trying to manually running the winSPMBT.exe file. I see flickering and then a pinkspeckled unplayable game but clickable menues and stuff. When trying to set adm. mode etc, i get a direct x error. BUT when i try only installing the 1. and nothing else, the game fires up excellently without any problems. (ive also tried 1. with only 2., i get the same results as 1. 2. and 3.)

What am i doing wrong?

Mobhack June 6th, 2015 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimaar (Post 830314)
Im all new to this game. I have bought the game a couple of years ago back in the heydays of 2010. Now with new patches and all, id like to fire up and give it a go. I have a windows 7 system. Ive got 3 files: 1. the "MBT_DL.zip", the 2. "WinSPMBTver 6.0 Consolidation Patch.zip" and the 3. the "winSPMBT V7-V9.1 Consolidation Upgrade.zip". Installation directory: C:\Spel\WinSPMBT. Overwriting patches.

Ive been trying all day now, first installig 1. then 2. then 3. Starting up with the preloader and getting CTD. Then trying to manually running the winSPMBT.exe file. I see flickering and then a pinkspeckled unplayable game but clickable menues and stuff. When trying to set adm. mode etc, i get a direct x error. BUT when i try only installing the 1. and nothing else, the game fires up excellently without any problems. (ive also tried 1. with only 2., i get the same results as 1. 2. and 3.)

What am i doing wrong?

Well - are you trying to run it in windowed mode or full-screen mode?

Try it in windowed mode first, as that causes far less problems in windows 7. Since you have the full game - set the window size to desktop resolution. In desktop resolution it will use the full wide-screen format, less the windows task bar.

If it works OK in windowed mode then you may want to try the now-depreciated full-screen mode.

Full screen mode needs a special script run by the game to nuke the aero interface, as described in the game guide, and in the "Windows seven and windows vista installation" sticky thread in this section of the main forum. Some modern monitors wont run 800 mode, or even other 4:3 modes - so use desktop resolution here as well since you have the full game. Full-screen mode in vista and 7 does not play well with other applications - you wont be able to alt-tab in and out to other running programs, and the script does not always restore the desktop on exit on some systems. So if you have the full game, stick to windowed mode and desktop resolution - it is actually faster than full-screen mode, which can stutter and lag in scrolling etc. on modern video cards that done seem to like 256 colour paletted games.

And finally - you do have the auto-hide feature of the Windows task-bar set to OFF, as described in the game guide?. Having the task bar auto-hide on returns false window metrics to the game engine, and causes a skewed and unplayable display. That's why the advisory message about this in the game installation section of the game guide has this info in a great big info box with flashing red text...

Game Guide -> Game Installation
Game Guide -> Running SPMBT
Game Guide -> Tuning Your Machine

(This is the same information as in the forum sticky post on installing in windows 7 and vista)

cheers
Andy

FASTBOAT TOUGH June 8th, 2015 09:40 PM

If the fact that my new computer has been staring at me for the last two weeks and my peripherals to support it about a week now and life has gone into "hyperdrive" as we prepare on home improvements...I simply request the following.

Am I really going to gain anything by downloading 9.1 in the current campaigns I have going against the AI with the CD version or can I simply wait until I have a chance to get my Win 8.1 system online?

If I'm really missing out on something, what/where do I need to type in the "/" etc. using XP in the "save to" line for the directory?

Until my new computer is up and running that's just easier for me to do it that way.

Thanks!

Regards,
Pat

Mobhack June 8th, 2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH (Post 830354)
If the fact that my new computer has been staring at me for the last two weeks and my peripherals to support it about a week now and life has gone into "hyperdrive" as we prepare on home improvements...I simply request the following.

Am I really going to gain anything by downloading 9.1 in the current campaigns I have going against the AI with the CD version or can I simply wait until I have a chance to get my Win 8.1 system online?

If I'm really missing out on something, what/where do I need to type in the "/" etc. using XP in the "save to" line for the directory?

Until my new computer is up and running that's just easier for me to do it that way.

Thanks!

Regards,
Pat

Your ongoing campaign will be enhanced by the bug fix to allow crews and passengers to possibly survive bailing from a destroyed vehicle once more. (In 9, there was a bug that always killed them unless the vehicle was in water hexes.)

FASTBOAT TOUGH June 8th, 2015 11:07 PM

Thanks that's worth it to me. Do you remember what you had to type into the destination file if you were an XP user after that was changed for Win 8.0 users before you started the download? I had it written down but, can't seem to locate now.

Regards,
Pat

Mobhack June 9th, 2015 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH (Post 830356)
Thanks that's worth it to me. Do you remember what you had to type into the destination file if you were an XP user after that was changed for Win 8.0 users before you started the download? I had it written down but, can't seem to locate now.

Regards,
Pat

I haven't got a clue what you are on about in "typing stuff into the destination folder".

Just point the installer to wherever you have installed the game, if the path it offers differs from your current installation. using the navigation feature of the installer.