.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   World Supremacy (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=230)
-   -   Any play guides (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46650)

MarkL November 23rd, 2010 04:37 AM

Any play guides

I have downloaded the demo, but have no idea how to play this one.

Is there a basic guide or tutorial that I have missed?

Regards MarkL

ScottWAR November 23rd, 2010 05:05 AM

Re: Any play guides

If you have ever played any turn based war game then this game is VERY easy to understand how to play.

Tim Brooks November 23rd, 2010 06:18 AM

Hi Guys:

We are working on a Demo overview document. Should have it available within 24 hours...

ScottWAR November 23rd, 2010 06:27 AM

I'll post a little to try and help.

You start out sorrounded by either empty territories or neutral territories. Hovering your mouse over any unit, yours or an enemies, it will show the info for that unit.

Clicking on a unit you control brings up a menu that lets you move the unit (into an emtpy territory or a territory you controll), attack a territory (enemy controlled), bombard (if the unit has long range attack capability), load/unload(only for transport units), amphibious attack(ony for transport units), decomission (removes unit from the game-to help lessen maintenance costs), skip (unit does nothing the rest of this turn), undo, and close(to close the menu).

Move your units into empty territories to gain their value and increase your budget and buy more trrops. Neutral territories usually have more units than you to begin with, but wont attack, so arent a threat. Wait unitl you can take them out comfortably before attacking them.

To buy units click on the dollar sign in the top menu. You can filter whats available to buy between all, land units, air units, sea units, buildings, and technology. You must place units bought at a factory complex. You can place buildings in basically any territory you own. Sea units must be placed in a sea zone adjacent to a factory complex.

Transporting is a little different. Instead of moving the unit to be loaded onto the transort........instead you tell the transport to load,...then choose the unit to be loaded from a list of all units available to be loaded. To unload units you have to chose amphibious assault, even to unload into a friendly territory. Click on the transport,.choose amphibious assault, choose the trritory to unload into, then choose the units to unload.

All of the buttons have tooltips that help explain things which should be helpful also.

Hopefully that will get you started. I may add more about combat later, but thats enough typing for now.

Good Luck.

EDIT- Well, hopefully the guide that Tim mentions will be a little better than mine :)

ScottWAR November 23rd, 2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWAR (Post 763802)
You can filter whats available to buy between all, land units, air units, sea units, buildings, and technology.

Correction- buildings are listed under land units,...they dont have their own catagory.

junk2drive November 23rd, 2010 10:11 PM

How do you reach an end point? Control the whole map?

MarkL November 24th, 2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWAR (Post 763794)
If you have ever played any turn based war game then this game is VERY easy to understand how to play.

Thanks for the guide you posted after this post, and I am glad they are posting an official one.

I must admit I like to read about what I am going to try first. My gaming time is very limited so I hate wasting time experimenting. I am a bit hard with demo's that way, if there is no info provided I normally do not try them, just part of my expectations I suppose.

Cheers MarkL

MarkL November 24th, 2010 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junk2drive (Post 763867)

Good to see someone from the Combat Mission series. I used to play the first three of their titles a lot, and from memory your signature used to appear a lot in the old days. I do not visit their site these days.

Anyway I think it was you, but my memory may be fading.

Cheers MarkL

ScottWAR November 24th, 2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junk2drive (Post 763867)

The game ends when only one player remains.

lorq13 December 5th, 2010 08:54 AM

It would be nice to see the mechanics, though. Like how much one Fab. Complex can build, what movement options are available with navy units(incl landing units), how units interact in combat, etc.

Sure, I can figure it out, but I want to PLAY the game instead of figuring it out. The AI also dos not seem to do much of anything(maybe the neutrals don't attack; again, reading about mechanics is much better than deducing them.)