.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Normandy 1944 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51474)

IronDuke99 January 24th, 2017 12:46 PM

Normandy 1944

One of the things that I think gets overlooked is how very powerful Allied Naval gunfire was in Normandy in 1944.

A 15inch naval gun could fire at ranges up to almost 22 miles -ie, twice as far inland as Caen- and warships (no matter what crap World of Warships might come out with) all carried HE rounds. A large calibre Warship HE round was a very fearsome thing that could flip even a Tiger tank on its back.

Most of the Normandy battles in June and July should feature Naval Gun Fire Support on the Allied side. In fact it was a major deciding factor in the German's pulling back from close to the coast.

In contrast Allied aircraft were not as effective as they thought they were against German armour. At the time even the American Army Air Force thought that RAF rocket firing Typhoons were the best Allied air force tank busters. Research, after the war, showed they were much less effective than the Air Forces thought they were (when on earth as that ever happened!) Most of those eight, unguided, rockets simply missed... Allied air power was mostly effective against soft vehicles, very unfortunate horses and trains, rather than AFV's.

A Panzer Lehr Division Commander gives a long list of losses to Allied air attacks, over days, that include a whole five tanks...

DRG January 24th, 2017 02:11 PM

Re: Normandy 1944

you hit hexes with tanks in them with naval gunfire in the game and they are, at the very least, NOT HAPPY.hit them a couple turns in a row and they are even less happy

IronDuke99 January 24th, 2017 02:15 PM

Agreed, but I think you could make a fairly strong case for reducing Allied air force anti armour effects and increasing Naval gun fire effects.

IronDuke99 February 5th, 2017 05:27 AM

Re: Normandy 1944 (Naval Gunfire Support)

So I ran a test:

One company of SS Tiger tanks in the open and deployed closely together, not dug in.

One the other side, 10 spotter aircraft, one RN 16in Battleship, two RN 15inch Battleship, one RN 14 inch Battleship, one RN 8inch Heavy Cruiser.

Game set to max visibility. Artillery set to 175%. Game length 39 turns.

Result: 1 Tiger destroyed. 1 Tiger immobilised. 1 Tiger retreating and 2 Tigers buttoned up.

I think that is a bit weak given the naval firepower used...

Imp February 5th, 2017 06:52 AM

How often did you hit them with consecutive bombardments?
On normal artillery settings, if hit hard in the open it is possible to cause retreat or even abandonment, I think damage may be required first for the later.
Can surprise you though Remember hitting one tank with a good wallop of artillery over a couple of turns & it still returned fire & took out my tank with a low to hit chance. Heavily pinned it could only get off one shot with its main armament which just happened to hit.
I realise what you are saying a big shell could flip a tank but how often did it land close enough to actualy do so.
While artillery was a major killer I would be intrestead to know how many rounds were fired per kill.
Do agree but we have had this debate so many times a big shell landing close to armor can have a devastating effect.

IronDuke99 February 5th, 2017 06:59 AM

The hexes the Tanks were in were all hit repeatedly. No tank moved at all except the one that retreated (fairly early on). Also note I had Artillery set at 175% (as I normally do for WWII actions).

This was four Battleships and a Heavy Cruiser, with spotter aircraft, firing at a single, highly exposed, company of German tanks, not dug in, in close (ie, in adjoining hexes)order, a near ideal target.

DRG February 5th, 2017 02:08 PM

something to investigate next year NOT a month before a patch release. It's important to remember these naval bombardments went on longer than normally players give them in the game. One or two turns...6 minutes of gunfire means nothing. Hit the area for 10 turns then let me know what the result is

IronDuke99 February 5th, 2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 837064)
something to investigate next year NOT a month before a patch release. It's important to remember these naval bombardments went on longer than normally players give them in the game. One or two turns...6 minutes of gunfire means nothing. Hit the area for 10 turns then let me know what the result is

The example of my test was a bombardment, and nothing but a bombardment, for the whole game length, ie, 39 turns, with artillery set at 175%. At the end the area all around the tanks was nothing but shell holes, yet it merely destroyed one and immobilised another.

Was not suggesting it needs to be changed right now, given all the other stuff relating to the next patch going on. I'm sure you have more than enough to do.

DRG February 5th, 2017 02:54 PM

If you have the original "scenario" set up saved. post it

IronDuke99 February 5th, 2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 837071)
If you have the original "scenario" set up saved. post it

Not sure how to do that?

It was standard random June 1944 Normandy map Britain V Germany, with beach. Largest Map. Everything set to normal, except Artillery at 175%.(and British set to 110% spotting and 110% shooting, actually an accident since I had been doing an earlier German v USSR scenario set in June 1941 and did not notice to change it back).

German forces Command group (safely far in at rear) One Company SS Tiger Tanks (14 Tanks)Not dug in in fairly close formation on open ground (not in trees or behind hedgerows, etc).

British forces Command Group and Foo (both on Patrol ships) 10 Spotter aircraft (Auster) one 16 inch Battleship, two 15 inch Battleship, one 14 inch battleship, one 8 inch Heavy Cruiser. Game length set to 39 turns.

I set up the spotter aircraft runs to make sure the German tanks were well and truly spotted and then set the game to run on computer control. Results as above.