.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Which to start with? 4 or 5? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43909)

Fenris99 September 7th, 2009 03:26 PM

Which to start with? 4 or 5?

I actually own both SE IV (deluxe) and SE V but have never played either. Which one is easier to start with?

Fenris99 September 7th, 2009 05:02 PM

Re: Which to start with? 4 or 5?

Games I've played in the past: All the Civ games, Sins of a solar empire, Sword of the stars, Gal civ 2, Supreme commander, the whole command and conquer series, etc etc.

I understand SE is in a class all it's own.

Fyron September 8th, 2009 02:48 AM

Start with SE4, don't move on to SE5. There are more than enough good, time-sinking mods available for SE4 to obviate the need for subjecting oneself to the horrors of SE5's UI.

Hugh Manatee September 13th, 2009 11:18 AM

SEV's UI isn't "horrific", it could be better, but it's far from horrifying, and Kwok's balance mod is fun and the hex grids, 3D simultaneous space battles are cool. MoO3's ui otoh... *shudders* it's like that face melting head exploding scene from raiders of the lost ark.... THAT's horrifying, and SEV ain't nowhere near that.

Black_Knyght September 14th, 2009 12:05 AM

Definitely go with SEIV, and don't even bother with SEV.

Captain Kwok September 14th, 2009 04:36 PM

I suggest you try SE5 as well once you become familiar with the general gameplay of the SE series. SE5 has more features and generally better gameplay IMO, but its UI is less intuitive versus SE4 and its performance in Vista isn't too great.

Q September 15th, 2009 04:35 AM

If you play solo games against the AI, I would try SE V. Balance mod has a much better AI than anything I have seen in SE IV. Kwok is just too modest to mention this!

Makinus September 16th, 2009 08:52 AM

Definitely SEIV, since SEV, as already said, was a very hard UI to work around... i myself already tried a dozen times to play SEV, but the UI ultimately defeats me and i return to playing SEIV.

If someday a SEIV like UI is realeased for SEV then it would become the perfect game... but until them....

I´m perfectly fine with 2d battles/strategic level, and SEV is not really 3d, as the playing field is still 2d, you only can rotate it now in 3 dimensions...

capnq September 16th, 2009 06:44 PM

IMO, it's hard to recommend one over the over. For every improvement in SEV over SEIV, there's a detriment of comparable magnitude. I can't say that SEV is better than SEIV; it's just somewhat different.

I'd suggest starting one game of each, and alternate between the two until you develop a personal preference for one or the other. I think I'd start the SEIV game first, but I'm not certain that learning its easier interface first won't make the SEV interface more aggravating to pick up.

PsychoTechFreak September 26th, 2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 710302)
If you play solo games against the AI, I would try SE V. Balance mod has a much better AI than anything I have seen in SE IV. Kwok is just too modest to mention this!

Oh, is that so? Even better than Devnull and TDM's AI? I'll have to check this. :eek:

EDIT: Forget about it. European Versions do not get the latest patch, Empire Interactive is dead... nope.