.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: Warhammer "Chaos Undivided" race (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39305)

Panpiper June 15th, 2008 05:17 PM

Warhammer "Chaos Undivided" race

2 Attachment(s)
'Chaos Undivided' is based upon the Warhammer fantasy miniatures game and universe. This race is intended to simulate reasonably accurately the flavor of the Warhammer Chaos armies, to be reasonably balanced when playing with the other standard races in the game and also, hopefully, to just be a lot of fun to play with.

There are still some graphics that need to be done, primarily among the summonable greater demons and the hero deamon princes (currently using appropriate placeholder graphics). And I expect I will still be tweaking other already included graphics as time goes on. Getting things balanced is always a tricky business and depends to a large degree upon player feedback. I believe things are reasonably well balanced already, but more tweaking is certainly likely.

On an older thread, this mod went through numerous version upgrades. More version upgrades no doubt will come. Due to new posting rules, I must continue the version notes in this first posting, so please excuse the odd number sequencing:

Version 0.52
"Chaos steed hoof and bite" damage reduced to 18 from 20. Enchanted Spear carried by Lords of Slaanesh is now a custom weapon that is one handed instead of two handed as is the normal enchanted spear. It has also been toned down somewhat doing slightly less damage and having both less attack and defense bonus, it is after all a one handed spear. This should have the effect of reducing further the ability of Lords of Slaanesh to solo independents (even though Lords are 400 point units, none of them should be able to 'solo' independents). Slaanesh warriors and chosen defense dropped by one, attack increased by one. Champion and Lords of Slaanesh defense dropped by one. Nurgle units being undead are now all encumbrance 0. Nurgle flail damage increased by one. Lord of Khorne HP dropped to 30, equal to Lord of Nurgle, fear effect also dropped to remove bonus. This should keep them from being able to solo independents. Nurgle and Khorne greater demons now have equal health. Lord of the End Times immortality removed and new path cost increased to 80, natural magic paths now: blood, water, astral and death magic, not fire.

Version 0.53
Chaos Warrior Chariot is now fully ambidextrous (that was a huge oversight on my part). They are crewed by two warriors, neither should suffer a two weapon penalty. Chosen of Tzeentch now carry a 'magic' halberd. It is identical to the non-magic halberd otherwise. They alone among the chosen come equipped with a magic weapon due to their greater inherent magical affinity.

Version 0.54
The "Spear of Slaanesh" was buggy somehow and not doing the expected job. It has been replaced with a standard one-hand enchanted spear and the Lord of Slaanesh stats balanced to remain constant despite the higher stats on this spear.

Version 0.55
Champion of Tzeentch is now guaranteed at least astral 1 with a diminishing chance of having up to astral 4! Champion of Tzeentch now has the same 'magic' halberd as does the chosen of Tzeentch. Champion of Tzeentch given #poormagicleader. Gold cost increased to 200. Lord of the End Times given Fear 0. More names. Daemon Prince of Nurgle has encumbrance of 0 being undead.

Panpiper June 15th, 2008 05:18 PM

Re: Warhammer \"Chaos Undivided\" race mod

Read Me text / version notes:

"Chaos Undivided" is a race mod based on the Warhammer universe. It is a single mod that encompasses all four of the major chaos powers, as opposed to doing four separate race mods.

Chaos armor is fused to the body to whom it has been granted, it becomes part of their body. It cannot be taken off nor can other armor be worn over it. Hence in this mod it is considered the equivalent of very tough skin. Those units that do not have a torso item slot have had chaos armor granted unto them. It does not encumber and costs no resource points. You will however notice that chaos armor equipped units invariably have rather high gold costs.

Revision log:

Version 0.11
Fixed an issue with capital only units being available everywhere.

Version 0.12
Added nametypes for Demon names.

Version 0.13
Radically altered the pretender, Archaon, and gave him appropriate graphics.

Version 0.14
Reduced poison cloud on Nurgle heroes. Added banner bearer summonable troop with appropriate national spell.

Version 0.15
Numerous small tweakages. Removed priestly magic from all recruitable commanders except Chaos Cultist. Added level one priest magic to capital only Exalted Sorcerer. However also added Priest magic 3 to all five Daemon Prince heroes. Added Lesser Daemons of Slaanesh and spell to summon them.

Version 0.20
Added a lot of extra names and made them fit the respective powers that the unit is affiliated with. Increased the gold cost of the Lords by 50 to 250 as the increased combat power of their chaos steeds is worth at least that over the steedless champions. All Demons planned are now in the mod (Nurgle Plaguebearers, Nurglings, Daemonettes, Daemonettes on Steeds of Slannesh, Pink Horrors of Tzeentch, Blue Horrors, Screamers, Bloodletters, Bloodletter Champion, Flesh Hounds, Chaos Furies, Great Unclean One, Keeper of Secrets, Lord of Change & Bloodthirster). It is largely complete now except for graphics, tweaking and balancing. Some Tzeentch combat spells should still get designed.

Version 0.21
Added ritual spells for summoning Bloodletter Champions and Unreasoned Champions (actually both just tougher troops with which to shore up the troop line).

Version 0.22
Corrected "Gift of Chaos" ritual spell. It was summoning the wrong unit.

Version 0.23
The "Gift of Khorne" summoning ritual now summons a bloodletter commander instead of a troop. Painted proper sprites for standard chaos warriors (x3), chosen chaos warriors, chaos knights, chosen chaos knight, unreasoned champion, and improved the

chaos chariot.

Version 0.24 *Save game breaker!*
There is no longer a 'Chosen Chaos Warrior' unit. Instead there are now four sacred, capital only chosen chaos warrior units, one for each of the powers. Appropriate sprites were painted. Collect the whole series! ;-)

Version 0.25
The four champion commander units for the four powers now have sprites that are vastly more appropriate (scaled up 'chosen warrior' sprites). These are still technically placeholders, as it would be nice for the actual champions to be even more thematic.

Version 0.26
Removed a useless shapechange ability from Champions of Tzeentch (a holdover from a previous experiment). Fixed a crash bug caused by a spelling error when the Sorcerer of Chaos Undivided hero showed up. Also improved the sprite. Added summoning spells for each of the four powers to summon a champion level 'troop' appropriate to their allegiance.

Version 0.27
Added proper sprites for Daemonettes and Daemonettes on Steeds of Slannesh. It took me hours to get them looking decent but when I saw their effect on the battlefield, it was as hypnotizing as they aught to be.

Version 0.30
Thank you Humakty for the crucial playbalance feedback. Lowered resource cost on Marauder infantry. Basic Chaos warrior gold cost increased to 30. Most all other Chaos troop gold cost increased by as much as 50%. Basic sorcerer gold cost reduced by 10. Exalted increased by 50. Commander champion costs increased by 50. Lords increased by 100! Reduced gem cost of "Lesser Summoning of Tzeentch" (Screamers) to 5 and it's research level by one. Increased attack rating of Screamers by 2.

Version 0.31
I'm not sure how it happened, I could have sworn it was working before, but somehow "Imbue Chaos' was summoning a Bloodthirster instead of doing the Gift of

Reason thing. Fixed.
Finalized sprites for Chaos marauders, marauder flails, and marauder horsemen.

Version 0.32
Added a basic recruit anywhere chaos warrior flail & shield unit. Now there are four basic chaos warriors to go along with the four 'chosen' capital only sacreds, the four champions and the four lords. Very appropriate. Four times four. Added a small chaos symbol to all units carrying shields.

Version 0.33
Tweaked the basic Chaos warrior recruitables to make them more thematic of the four powers. Slaanesh got a +1 defense, Tzeentch a +1 Magic Resist, Khorne a +1 strength and Nurgle got poison resistance, so now you can have regular troops along with your Nurgle commanders without your Nurgle commanders killing off your regular troops. Changed the Khorne regular Chaos Warrior to use a battleaxe instead of a greatsword (more appropriate for Khorne). Version 0.34 *Save Game Messer Upper. Won't break, but old Lords of Tzeentch will be downgraded.* All four Lords now have proper sprites. The Lord of Tzeentch curtesy of Valandil. The lords have been rather extensively tweaked and may in fact now be imbalanced. I could use comments on their current design and gold cost.

Version 0.40
Gold costs again increased, this time on all sacred units possessing chaos armor. However all sacred units now possess 'heal' (rids afflictions), this as opposed to giving everyone poison resistance. Previously it was effectively impractical to ever mix Nurgle commanders with any but Nurgle followers. Now at least the sacreds can cope with the after effects. Province defense beefed up a tad for 20+. Changed defending commanders to first cultist, then basic sorcerer. Banner Bearer fear effect reduced to 'fear +0'. Increased summoning (creation) cost to 10 bloodslaves. All 'Gift' spells now summon the same unit, a single strong mainline sacred troop with zero maintenance cost. They are essentially a way to use 'excess' gems to shore up the troops. Greater Demons and their summoning spells tweaked. Gave a +2 research bonus to Exalted Sorcerers, as their cost was otherwise too crippling to research. Lord of Tzeentch is now as good a caster as the Exalted Sorcerer but with emphases on Astral which the Sorcerer does not possess. (Sorcerers tend to have higher fire than Lords of Tzeentch, chances for water which Lords do not have and much better chances at blood magic.) First draft of the Tzeentch combat spells is done. ("Red Fire" also usable by sorcerers.) My thanks to Sombre.

Version 0.41
Thanks much in part to inspiration from DrPraetorious, I have tried to rebalance things to get Chaos more in line with being balanced with native races. Almost all units have been downrated somewhat, not drastically, but keeping them more in line with what one would expect from elite units in native. Also, the resource bonus which was previously available in the capital is no longer present. This will keep Chaos from fielding a large quantity of sacreds, forcing them to rely more on the more normal units. I now find it quite challenging to play in SP so I think I have hit on the right formula.

Version 0.42
Many of DrPraetorious' suggestions have been implemented. The capital resource bonus is back. Chaos hounds have been removed from the recruitable list, they are now domsummon units only. Pretender magic, etc. toned down a tad, other adjustments made and point cost lowered to 150. Flails on all Nurgle units replaced with morningstars. Nurgle followers are now undead instead of having poison resistance and Nurgle champions and lords now have disease clouds instead of poison. 'Emerald Guards' are more elite than chaos warriors and cost only 25 gold, so the regular line chaos warrior gold cost has been dropped to 20. Regular knights of chaos gold cost dropped to 55 (their stats are comparable to regular knights yet they have no lance). Magic resistance for chosen, champions and lords increased slightly, slightly more for followers of Nurgle, significantly more for followers of Tzeentch. Slaanesh chosen, champions and lords got 'awe' and all Slaanesh followers got a significant morale boost. All Khorne followers now have berserk. Champion gold costs reduced somewhat, lord gold costs reduced quite a bit except for the Lord of Tzeentch. All summoned greater demon weapons are now magic.

Version 0.43
Chaos armor is now an armor 'item' though it cannot be removed or replaced. As it is a magical gift of the chaos powers, it has no resource cost. It also does not significantly encumber. Nurgle units are again equipped with flails, though it is a lighter one appropriate for wielding in one hand. 'Undead' Nurgle units got a small hit point and magic resistance boost. Enough for me to consider recruiting them again along side the other units. Nurgle and Slaanesh champions and lords are back up to their previous gold costs with Slaanesh getting a bit of a nerf. Now Slaanesh lords 'cannot' easily solo standard independents. Doh!

Version 0.44
Graphics change only. Sprites cleaned up to remove much of the black border residue. Regular, chosen and champion chaos warriors now have subtle but distinct differences in the look of their sprites, beyond simply different weapons. This to differentiate them by their chaos power alignment.

Version 0.45
Lazy_Perfectionist's spell descriptions are in. Corrected a typo that resulted in a 'no name' unit showing up in province defense beyond 20. The basic, recruit anywhere sorcerer was pretty useless and has been upgraded, getting now four magic picks. At the very least, either fire or death will wind up level two. Slaanesh got another nerf on their offensive combat, dropping strength and attack slightly. This to compensate for a basic 'awe' effect which was in but not working (now fixed). Slaanesh champions and lords also given seduction, which is mostly thematically decorative as they are not stealthy units (champions are male, lords are female). One could equip them to be stealthy however.

Version 0.46
Lord of Tzeentch given a foot slot. Daemon prince heroes given an extra miscellaneous slot. All Nurgle units (undead) now have poison resistance. Champion and lord of Khorne HP and protection boosted slightly (I was never recruiting them). Lord of Khorne given ambidextrous 8 and fear 5(!). Cost boosted to 400 gold, now equal to other lords. Lord of Khorne now domsummons flesh hounds instead of bloodletters. Flesh hound sprites painted. Slaanesh daemon princ'ess' hero tweaked and sprite painted. (I should have probably kept this for last, as desert.) All other daemon prince heroes tweaked. Chaos Cultist given a single random magic pick (fire, death or astral). Gold cost increased to 70. New 'holy' ritual spell added. Grants (mixed) blessing of Chaos upon some hapless person and transforms them into a 'foul spawn'. Chaos now has 'mutants'.

Version 0.47
The "Chaos Blessed" holy ritual spell has revealed a bug in the game. If you <shift> <M> to autocast each month this spell, the game will crash. (The problem is that it is a 'holy' ritual. The game engine does not like 'holy' ritual spells.) As this is most definitely a spell one would set to autocast, it had to be modified to work around this bug. When the bug is fixed, this will properly become a holy ritual again and chaos cultist will go back to a random single magic pick. For now however, "Chaos Blessed" is a level 0 thaumaturgy ritual requiring fire 1 to cast. Chaos cultists now all have fire 1. I have also bumped the cost of chaos cultists up a notch again, now at 80 gold, due to this additional functionality.

Version 0.48
After six months without a game computer, fixes have been a long time coming. Nurglings and Plaguebearers were reversed in their respective summonings, now corrected. Some minor text errors corrected. Added several more names for each of the powers.

Version 0.50
Lord of Tzeentch default weapons (meant as routine magics) are now bonus weapons, meaning they aren't lost if you equip them with a dwarven hammer or whatever. Added even more names. Warhounds are now 'animals' (don't know how I missed that) and should no longer help in sieges. Chaos Cultists now thematically have blood magic instead of fire. This makes them slightly less useful in province defense, but somewhat more useful for blood hunting. Chaos Cultists can now perform blood sacrifice to spread dominion. (This may be removed pending player feedback.)

Version 0.51
Yet more names. Chaos Cultists (again with the Chaos Cultists) now domsummon20 their warhounds. Previously they were domsummon2. There should now be a LOT less warhounds just sitting around outside of province defense. Despite this reduction, upon much thought, the combination of a research capable, stealthy priest with domsummon, the previous cost was too low. Raised now to 100 gold. Daemonettes are now stealthy (basic) and their summoning cost has been slightly increased. Daemonettes on steeds are not stealthy. Steeds of Slannesh's 'paralyze' attack is now a bonus weapon. It is no longer lost if you equip a weapon on a Lord of Slannesh. Daemon Prince of Tzeentch precision increased to 13. Daemon Prince of Chaos Undivided precision increased to 12. Daemon Prince of Nurgle now has death magic 3.

Panpiper June 15th, 2008 05:26 PM

From the previous thread:
Quote:

Noble713 said:
1. Greater Daemons. I've summoned all except for a Bloodthirster and have been rather disappointed. Why aren't they all commanders? I summoned them with the intention of having each leading its own daemon host, and instead I'm stuck trying to dig up a nature mage to give them the Gift of Reason. I don't even know what their combat performance is like (their stats are great) because they haven't left my capital.

2. Graphics tweaks for the chaos warriors/champions/lords would be greatly appreciated and flavorful.

3. Ooo, it would be nifty to have heroes from the actual Warhammer mythos. I might contribute on this, digging up the relevant fluff/stats and trying to find imagery. I've never done any Dom3 modding, maybe it's time I started.

Sorry to have been away for so long Noble.

The greater daemons are seriously powerful beasts and requiring a gift of reasoning was seen by me as an additional balancing feature. However you don't need to go searching for a nature mage to do this with Chaos. The Lord of Tzeentch can cast the spell; "Imbue Chaos", which is a slightly more expensive astral version of 'gift of reason'.

Graphic tweaks will still be coming and any aid towards fluff/stats for heroes is welcome as well.

Calchet June 15th, 2008 05:40 PM

It appears the mod attached in the first post isn't meant for playing - "hack" is at the end of the name, and the starting units are a pair of sorcerers with 4+ in all magic paths.

Misupload of an internal testing version, perhaps?

Panpiper June 15th, 2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Calchet said:
It appears the mod attached in the first post isn't meant for playing - "hack" is at the end of the name, and the starting units are a pair of sorcerers with 4+ in all magic paths.

Misupload of an internal testing version, perhaps?

ARGH! Oops.

Thank you Calchet, yes that was indeed a test mod. You are supposed to start with a Chaos Cultist and a Champion of Khorne. I've re-uploaded the mod. Sorry to you and whomever was the other person who downloaded it.

(That's the second time I have done that, uploaded a test file. I'll have to pay closer attention.)

Zentar June 15th, 2008 08:55 PM

Now there are at least 5 Warhammer nation mods and we have a wonderful Warhammer map. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/VikingHelm.gif[/img]

WraithLord June 17th, 2008 08:48 AM

How 5?- We have Skaven, Ogre and Chaos.

Sombre June 17th, 2008 08:54 AM

Skaven, Ogres, Tomb Kings, Chaos (though I haven't tried it), Dark Elves (though I haven't tried them).

Humakty June 17th, 2008 12:36 PM

The dark elves mod is not finished (not even a beta), but we have a nice high/wood elves mod, even if it is not quite warhammerish to merge the two blend of elves.

Panpiper June 17th, 2008 03:17 PM

Chaos Cultists, the priests for Chaos, now have a single magic pick in blood magic instead of fire magic.

I've noted a few things with regard to Chaos Cultists. One is that with their previous one pick in fire magic, they are rather more useful than the typical priest when they show up as the basic commander in province defense. Another thing is that their current "Chaos Blessed" starting ritual which is based on the ritual spell of "Cross Breeding" currently uses fire as it's path. The "Cross Breeding" ritual is actually a blood path. Finally, I find the idea of blood magic far more thematic than that of fire for Chaos Cultists.

I bring this up because it is with some reticence that I convert the cultists magic pick to blood as it would seem this would make Chaos much more effective with regard to blood hunting. That said, in my own test games with Chaos, I rarely blood hunt with a sorcerer that has only one pick in blood. I'll use the few sorcerers that pop up with two blood for that. (Though it is entirely possible that I don't know how to properly blood hunt.)

Finally a question. It would seem to me to be very thematic to allow Chaos Cultists to blood sacrifice, especially given how the priests now have blood magic. However I am unsure as to whether this might make Chaos too powerful. I don't want to turn Chaos into a Mictlan however with nopreach and dyingdom, as this seems both unthematic for Chaos (it's rather the opposite of dying) and looks to me like a lot of extra micromanagement. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether giving Chaos sacrificedom would be unbalancing? (Balance in this mod is more important than being thematic.)

For the time being, blood sacrifice is in the mod, pending feedback.

Version 0.50 uploaded. (Half way there?)

HoneyBadger June 17th, 2008 05:52 PM

Wasn't somebody working on an orcs (WAAAGH!) mod at one time?

Humakty June 18th, 2008 07:18 AM

I haven't heard of the orc mod for other a year I think, so we can presume it is dead. It is sad, he had made some nice units.
I've made a search, and the modder was okiN, as he disappeared ? Or can we expect a comeback ? (hopefully with his pockets full of greenies)

Endoperez June 18th, 2008 09:26 AM

okiN is still active on the IRC. You could go there and prod him to the right direction. With an iron rod.

Humakty June 18th, 2008 11:24 AM

I don't go on the IRC, 'cause I have no internet at home, and I can't install what is needed at work.
And since the time I played fallout, I only use electric prods. Fried modder...Hmmm...

Panpiper June 29th, 2008 06:56 PM

Version 0.51 is up.

I've noticed during extensive play of this mod, that despite all the names I've created, I still fairly regularly see the same names on two commanders in the same province. I find the thematic names for Chaos one of the particularly enjoyable, immersive aspects of this mod and would prefer to avoid such duplication. However after coming up with as many as I already have, I find myself rather tapped out for inspiration.

On the off chance anyone feels inspired, if anyone wants to contribute names for any or all of the Chaos powers that could be included, by all means do so.

Tyrian June 30th, 2008 03:02 AM

This site may be help you:

http://www.20000-names.com/villain_names.htm

Juzza July 1st, 2008 08:01 AM

I noticed that you have names like (example) "Soldier, W Flail&shield" that looks grossly unprofessional if you ask me, it's pretty clear to see what they have, it looks messy and isn't nessisairy. I suggest it should be changed, if you say need notes to help you remember where they are in the mods coding you should put notes above the creature named "Soldier" or what not.

Other then that this mod seems to be well constructed, despite the immensely powerful "Chaos Armor" but that looks like it has it's costs.

Panpiper July 1st, 2008 11:05 AM

I wasn't referring to the unit titles when I mentioned names. However yours is a good point and I've modified the unit titles for the basic Chaos warriors which mentioned their weapons types.

Here is the list of the current Choas name types. This is what I want to add to:

-- Nurgle Names

#selectnametype 127
#clear
#addname "Rippuke"
#addname "Slugeye"
#addname "Gutrabid"
#addname "Rendrabid"
#addname "Slugflesh"
#addname "Chewgross"
#addname "Lashscab"
#addname "Splitsore"
#addname "Scumbucket"
#addname "Spikerotten"
#addname "Plaguebear"
#addname "Witherfume"
#addname "Ichorscum"
#addname "Fumefang"
#addname "Fartface"
#addname "Scabflesh"
#addname "Bilepuss"
#addname "Wormfilth"
#addname "Plagueprey"
#addname "Goblob"
#addname "Vomitfiend"
#addname "Gangrene"
#addname "Blistergore"
#addname "Spasmfoul"
#addname "Sucksore"
#addname "Rabidfroth"
#addname "Pusvomit"
#addname "Slugwart"
#addname "Leperwither"
#addname "Bilepump"
#addname "Spewspurt"
#addname "Locust"
#addname "Sicksight"
#addname "Grabspittle"
#addname "Quiverbowel"
#addname "Gutscum"
#addname "Puspop"
#addname "Rotgobble"
#addname "Spoorpox"
#addname "Rottenvex"
#addname "Hackspew"
#addname "Hacklung"
#addname "Ebola"
#addname "Spiderfilth"
#addname "Vomitdung"
#addname "Blightscrape"
#addname "Droolsting"
#addname "Bileslob"
#addname "Festermouth"
#addname "Gristlemaw"
#addname "Soresplit"
#addname "Mucusbowel"
#addname "Pukebag"
#addname "Ichorspot"
#addname "Vilemouth"
#addname "Chewspasm"
#addname "Pilespoor"
#addname "Bloodpus"
#addname "Mucusfroth"
#addname "Blightclaw"
#addname "Oozerip"
#addname "Sorefester"
#addname "Flyswarm"
#addname "Rotspoor"
#addname "Grimpox"
#addname "Spasmscum"
#addname "Wormsuck"
#addname "Poxmire"
#addname "Festerkill"
#addname "Dreadmucus"
#addname "Spittlemaggot"
#addname "Ichordoom"
#end

-- Slaanesh Names

#selectnametype 128
#clear
#addname "Bloodlust"
#addname "Deepthrust"
#addname "Gutblood"
#addname "Necronheat"
#addname "Slicecaress"
#addname "Slaylove"
#addname "Deathlust"
#addname "Killjoy"
#addname "Lustmurder"
#addname "Sindeep"
#addname "Deathcaress"
#addname "Loveblood"
#addname "Deepslice"
#addname "Hotblood"
#addname "Reamslice"
#addname "Gorelust"
#addname "Lovepain"
#addname "Bloodcaress"
#addname "Necrobabe"
#addname "Plungedeep"
#addname "KillLover"
#addname "Deadpile"
#addname "Deathdrinker"
#addname "Sweetdeath"
#addname "Deadblood"
#addname "Murdersweet"
#addname "Moregore"
#addname "Gorethrust"
#addname "Gutlust"
#addname "Loveslayer"
#addname "Deathkiss"
#addname "Deathtouch"
#addname "Battlelust"
#addname "Fleshrend"
#addname "BlackWidow"
#addname "Gutslover"
#addname "Painkiss"
#addname "Lovedeath"
#addname "Bellyslice"
#addname "Fleshthrob"
#addname "Necrobanger"
#addname "Fleshpierce"
#addname "Sinheart"
#addname "Slicehowl"
#addname "Sinpain"
#addname "Heartgore"
#addname "Grinfang"
#addname "Killkill"
#addname "Painlust"
#addname "Loonpest"
#addname "Banegrasp"
#addname "Darkheart"
#addname "Screechlick"
#addname "Deathlove"
#addname "Fleshspit"
#addname "Lipsword"
#addname "Hotflesh"
#addname "Bellyrip"
#addname "Hotquake"
#addname "Cutflesh"
#addname "Thrusttremble"
#addname "Bloodbite"
#addname "Bellypop"
#addname "Deathwish"
#addname "Lewdfang"
#addname "Painlove"
#addname "Warptongue"
#addname "Limbsuck"
#addname "Fiendthrob"
#addname "Lipspittle"
#addname "Lewdbeast"
#addname "Skinwhip"
#addname "Lustspite"
#addname "Heartvex"
#addname "Gristlewhip"
#addname "Suckflesh"
#end

-- Tzeentch Names

#selectnametype 146
#clear
#addname "Redfist"
#addname "Brutespider"
#addname "Dreadpest"
#addname "Spotash"
#addname "Flamewhip"
#addname "Livereat"
#addname "Grimcraze"
#addname "Warpflame"
#addname "Starfire"
#addname "Flameblast"
#addname "Warwarp"
#addname "Firestorm"
#addname "Gruntfire"
#addname "Taintmark"
#addname "Killfire"
#addname "Flashfire"
#addname "Fleshtremble"
#addname "Ashcry"
#addname "Redfire"
#addname "Wrackkill"
#addname "Crazespider"
#addname "Blackflame"
#addname "Pilemange"
#addname "Hotwarp"
#addname "Venomwhine"
#addname "Taintfire"
#addname "Hellheat"
#addname "Starfury"
#addname "Greenblood"
#addname "Violetfire"
#addname "Chaosgnash"
#addname "Furygristle"
#addname "Flamelick"
#addname "Brimstone"
#addname "Blackreap"
#addname "Scrapeblast"
#addname "Killflame"
#addname "Warwarp"
#addname "Fanglick"
#addname "Eatbrute"
#addname "Flickflame"
#addname "Spiderslake"
#addname "Warprend"
#addname "Blastfurnace"
#addname "Firetoad"
#addname "Furydoom"
#addname "Flamestorm"
#addname "Shinewarp"
#addname "Vortex"
#addname "Redflame"
#addname "Wardreg"
#addname "Warpgnash"
#addname "Quasar"
#addname "Flushred"
#addname "Ashbeetle"
#addname "Whiteflame"
#addname "Blueheart"
#addname "Blackfire"
#addname "Markspike"
#addname "Hellfire"
#addname "Vexgnaw"
#addname "Warpfire"
#addname "Firecold"
#addname "Twisttremble"
#addname "Doomflame"
#addname "Blackbog"
#addname "Fluxdrink"
#addname "Astralfire"
#addname "Redwarp"
#addname "Twistquake"
#addname "Bloodfire"
#addname "Bloodhack"
#addname "Dreadfire"
#addname "Hotblast"
#end

-- Khorne Names

#selectnametype 147
#clear
#addname "Hotmaim"
#addname "Banerip"
#addname "Dreadbeast"
#addname "Mauldoom"
#addname "Haterend"
#addname "Vilerip"
#addname "Grimblade"
#addname "Baneblade"
#addname "Fangwarp"
#addname "Howlhammer"
#addname "Battlerage"
#addname "Thrashhelm"
#addname "Ripshred"
#addname "Hothead"
#addname "Gnawblade"
#addname "Sharpbreak"
#addname "Waraxe"
#addname "Bladekeen"
#addname "Taintfist"
#addname "Sharpfroth"
#addname "Greatcleave"
#addname "Scrapequiver"
#addname "Axelick"
#addname "Deathgrim"
#addname "Sharpedge"
#addname "Gnawloon"
#addname "Banecleave"
#addname "Goregrind"
#addname "Bladeblood"
#addname "Gruntrip"
#addname "Beastslice"
#addname "Fistcraze"
#addname "Reapthrash"
#addname "Hammerheart"
#addname "Whipsharp"
#addname "Feastflesh"
#addname "Dreadblade"
#addname "Hothate"
#addname "Beastgnash"
#addname "Furymaul"
#addname "Whiplash"
#addname "Bladefury"
#addname "Crushslice"
#addname "Warblade"
#addname "Edgeknife"
#addname "Howlhack"
#addname "Twaincut"
#addname "Rendsharp"
#addname "Meatmash"
#addname "Doombeast"
#addname "Axemaul"
#addname "Bladehate"
#addname "Bloodfury"
#addname "Lickblade"
#addname "Gruntcrush"
#addname "Ripsmash"
#addname "Fistfiend"
#addname "Blademange"
#addname "Warmaul"
#addname "Whipsword"
#addname "Bladestorm"
#addname "Fistblade"
#addname "Ripwreck"
#addname "Gutwrench"
#addname "Greatslice"
#addname "Beastwhip"
#addname "Heartrend"
#addname "Crushblunt"
#addname "Furyblade"
#addname "Doomslice"
#addname "Fearmonger"
#addname "Battleaxe"
#addname "Ripgnash"
#addname "Grimbane"
#addname "Fistcraze"
#addname "Bladeblast"
#addname "Clawgore"
#addname "Wighthelm"
#addname "Bladefire"
#addname "Howlfiend"
#addname "Hearttear"
#addname "Slicesword"
#addname "Helmblade"
#addname "Gruntwhip"
#addname "Doomblade"
#addname "Dreadrend"
#end

Beorne July 30th, 2008 05:17 PM

I have installed this wery good mod but all the recruitable mages don't have any magic level. Am I doing something wrong?

I have the last patch installed.
Thanks

Panpiper July 31st, 2008 02:02 AM

Hmm... Concerned that perhaps I had uploaded an incorrect built (it wouldn't be the first time), I downloaded the zip file from this thread. Using that file, I played a test game. I recruited all the various mages that Chaos is allowed, including getting the mage hero, and all of them had their magic path levels.

I expect what is happening is that you have more than one mod enabled and one of them is conflicting with the unit numbers for the mages. You are ordering the construction of what you think is a Chaos Sorcerer and the game is giving you some other unit that happens to have the same ID number in another mod. Try disabling the other mods and see what happens.

rdonj December 4th, 2008 10:06 PM

Re: Warhammer "Chaos Undivided" race

Bump in the hope that maybe this mod can be reworked a bit for the next warhammer-based mod game. Plus a few thoughts.

First, nurgle units. I think all the nurgle units should be given 0 encumbrance, or at least from the chosen on up. It's more dominionsy and would make them more attractive. Also, their flails only doing 1 damage is just too low, even with multiple attacks. Although, if the nurgle warriors were made to have 0 encumbrance they might be able to do without a stronger weapon as chaff killers/blockers just fine. Flail armed marauders, on the other hand, are not really very well off. Also, I think when you got to the lords and champions you got the hp mixed up between nurgle and khorne, because the khornate units start having more health. This may be true for greater demons also, I haven't gotten that far in my game yet.

I'm also not sure I like tzeentch's warriors either. They don't feel strange enough, and perhaps aren't different enough from Khorne's.

Slaaneshi warriors I think have too much defense. Of course, the encumbrance kills them, but until then, they're incredibly tough. Actually I was fighting them with the ogres at one point and it was completely hopeless on my end, I could hardly hurt them. And the chosen warriors are much worse, especially with an earth bless to lessen encumbrance issues.

The lords are fun and thematically interesting but for the purposes of balance I think they might be a little excessive. For example, the lord of Khorne can solo almost any independant province, and the lord of Slaanesh can solo many independants as well. Actually the lord of Tzeentch is probably the only one that can't solo indy provinces from turn 1. And a lord of Khorne with no more than a dozen knights can kill large armies with no losses. Which may partly be because the knights are too strong... I think the chaos steed hoof and bite attack is a bit too powerful at 20 damage.

One odd thing I noticed is when one of my lords of slaanesh picked up a shield from an indy, it got rid of the enchanted spear. I tried passing it around to other slaaneshi lords and the same thing happened, kind of strange bug.

rdonj December 4th, 2008 11:59 PM

The lord of end times himself is also ridiculously powerful. His being immortal is really not quite fair, with his high awe, standard, and excellent combat stats. And I think it might be better if he was restricted to only blood, water, astral and death magic, for thematic purposes.

rdonj December 5th, 2008 09:21 PM

The chaos chariots have only an attack skill of 4 with the whip and halberd attacks.

sum1lost December 7th, 2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panpiper (Post 614517)
Chaos Cultists, the priests for Chaos, now have a single magic pick in blood magic instead of fire magic.

I've noted a few things with regard to Chaos Cultists. One is that with their previous one pick in fire magic, they are rather more useful than the typical priest when they show up as the basic commander in province defense. Another thing is that their current "Chaos Blessed" starting ritual which is based on the ritual spell of "Cross Breeding" currently uses fire as it's path. The "Cross Breeding" ritual is actually a blood path. Finally, I find the idea of blood magic far more thematic than that of fire for Chaos Cultists.

I bring this up because it is with some reticence that I convert the cultists magic pick to blood as it would seem this would make Chaos much more effective with regard to blood hunting. That said, in my own test games with Chaos, I rarely blood hunt with a sorcerer that has only one pick in blood. I'll use the few sorcerers that pop up with two blood for that. (Though it is entirely possible that I don't know how to properly blood hunt.)

Finally a question. It would seem to me to be very thematic to allow Chaos Cultists to blood sacrifice, especially given how the priests now have blood magic. However I am unsure as to whether this might make Chaos too powerful. I don't want to turn Chaos into a Mictlan however with nopreach and dyingdom, as this seems both unthematic for Chaos (it's rather the opposite of dying) and looks to me like a lot of extra micromanagement. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether giving Chaos sacrificedom would be unbalancing? (Balance in this mod is more important than being thematic.)

For the time being, blood sacrifice is in the mod, pending feedback.

Version 0.50 uploaded. (Half way there?)

Suggestion- instead of giving them no preach, maybe give some of the preists heretic? It seems that this might thematically represent the dissension between the powers, while at the same time giving them the ability to rapidly reduce non-chaos dominion?

Panpiper January 8th, 2009 03:34 PM

Apparently we are no longer permitted to modify posts made more than 30 minutes ago. How on earth a modder is supposed to maintain a changelog now is beyond me.

Version 0.52
"Chaos steed hoof and bite" damage reduced to 18 from 20. Enchanted Spear carried by Lords of Slaanesh is now a custom weapon that is one handed instead of two handed as is the normal enchanted spear. It has also been toned down somewhat doing slightly less damage and having both less attack and defense bonus, it is after all a one handed spear. This should have the effect of reducing further the ability of Lords of Slaanesh to solo independents (even though Lords are 400 point units, none of them should be able to 'solo' independents). Slaanesh warriors and chosen defense dropped by one, attack increased by one. Champion and Lords of Slaanesh defense dropped by one. Nurgle units being undead are now all encumbrance 0. Nurgle flail damage increased by one. Lord of Khorne HP dropped to 30, equal to Lord of Nurgle, fear effect also dropped to remove bonus. This should keep them from being able to solo independents. Nurgle and Khorne greater demons now have equal health. Lord of the End Times immortality removed and new path cost increased to 80, natural magic paths now: blood, water, astral and death magic, not fire.

Rdonj, sorry, I was away from Dominions for a good while. Unfortunately my interest in modding any particular game lasts only for the time I am actually 'playing' the game, and I did not see this post until yesterday. Fortunately for this mod anyway, I come back to Dominions fairly consistantly for several years now.

I have made changes to the mod based on your feedback. I have not addressed the lack of 'specialness' for the warriors of Tzeentch. The problem is I'm not sure what to do with them to make them more Tzeentch like and special, but still keep them essentially human warriors.

I also have not changed the chaos chariot attack skill of the whip and halberd as I am not sure what is going on there. The chaos chariot has an attack value of 14. Does it suffer a negative 10 on regular attacks because it is a trample unit? If so aught I simply boost the attack value of the chariot itself or would that affect the trample attack as well? I suppose I could equip the chariots with custom whips and halbards and boost the attack values of the custom weapons. I'm not sure.

Sum1lost, your idea is a very good one, but I am not sure how to give a 'chance' at being a heretic to the cultists and I don't want to make 'all' the Chaos priest heretics as that would doom Chaos. Even if I knew how to give a chance at having heretic, I would be concerned about the consequence of the starting cultist being a heretic as that would be a damaging blow right at the start. I suppose I could make the starting cultist a unique unit (identical to regular cultists in every way except for having no chance of heresy) but that still leave me stuck at not knowing how to do it.

rdonj January 8th, 2009 04:07 PM

Hey, glad to see you come back. I'm certainly happy with the changes you made, I almost would have gone farther with the flails but they're much better off now than before. The change to the undead was really big, nurgle warriors are much more useful now. Lords of khorne really did need to lose that fear aura, even though that's going to hurt them a lot. They were just a little too much though being powerful out of the box thugs.

The problem the chariots have is that they're not ambidextrous. They need a fairly hefty bonus to offest the weapon length penalty from the whip and halberd. The trample attack I'm pretty sure doesn't care about your attack skill, the size of the trampling unit. So that should be unaffected by any change you make.

I don't honestly know what to do with the warriors of Tzeentch either. They do have increased magic resistance so there is at least some difference. Maybe the chosen could have luck cursing weapons....

I am 99% positive it's impossible to have randomly heretical units. The only way I can think of that you could manage it is with the crossbreeding spell. Obviously that won't work for a recruitable commander.

llamabeast January 8th, 2009 09:26 PM

You can modify the first post in any thread, so you should use that one for the changelog.

Panpiper January 8th, 2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamabeast (Post 665251)
You can modify the first post in any thread, so you should use that one for the changelog.

That should have been obvious to me, eh? Thank you Llamabeast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdonj (Post 665142)
I almost would have gone farther with the flails but they're much better off now than before. The change to the undead was really big

I don't honestly know what to do with the warriors of Tzeentch either. They do have increased magic resistance so there is at least some difference. Maybe the chosen could have luck cursing weapons...

Given that I dropped the encumbrance for the Nurgle units to zero, I didn't want to give too big a boost to their primary weapon. If people find they are still too weak, I'll consider bumping it again.

Your suggestion about Tzeentch suggested a good idea. I have given the chosen of Tzeentch halberd, a 'magic' effect (no other boost). Of the chosen (let alone the regular warriors), they alone have a magic weapon. This may not be enough, but with that and their naturally higher magic resistance, they are 'special'.

I gave full ambidexterity to the Chaos Warrior Chariot (each of the two weapons is wielded by a separate warrior). That should have been obvious to me the first time I wrote the mod, but I missed it and never looked back.

rdonj January 9th, 2009 02:05 AM

Magic halberds for the chosen does sound pretty nifty. They're still a little bit niche but should be pretty useful on astral nations.

Panpiper January 10th, 2009 12:03 AM

I encountered several weird bugs while attempting to fix the spear problem. I have not gotten to the bottom of what was causing the bugs where one hand weapons would seem to be functioning as two handed. I do however have a workaround where by using a number code rather than the name string I am able to specify a one handed spear which does do the trick. The numbered spear however has higher stats which required dropping the natural stats of the Lord of Slaanesh, not what I had originally wanted to do. This disadvantages a custom equipped lord, but I guess they're likely still tough enough once fully kitted.

rdonj January 10th, 2009 03:02 AM

The lords of slaanesh are more attractive for their enslavement abilities anyway. If you get lucky and enslave away an enemy thug or two you're causing a lot of damage to your enemy.

Panpiper January 10th, 2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdonj (Post 665647)
The lords of slaanesh are more attractive for their enslavement abilities anyway. If you get lucky and enslave away an enemy thug or two you're causing a lot of damage to your enemy.

True, that is the real strength of those units. What I don't want however is for them to be able to do that with impunity, to do it 'solo'. If a player is forced to use several in order to take out independents that is fine. For more worthy opponents, a screen to take the brunt of an attack aught also be necessary.

Panpiper May 13th, 2009 04:51 PM

Bumping due to an update. This latest version 0.55, has been sitting on my drive for a few months. I really should have uploaded it back then.

Sorry for the slow progress. It is quite playable as it is now, just with a few of the summonable demons still using existing graphics as opposed to original graphics.

Noble713 May 17th, 2009 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I play Warhammer-themed Dominions pretty much exclusively, almost always as Chaos.

Earlier this year I made some new sprites that I'd like to share. I also started working on some unique champions but since I don't have a clue how to code them, they are still at the "brainstorming" phase.

L to R, Top to Bottom:
new Bloodthirster, new Lord of Change, Dechala the Denied One (Slaanesh), Valnir the Reaper (Nurgle), Arbaal the Undefeated (Khorne), Aekold Helbrass (Tzeentch)

I have more detailed character descriptions on another system, but basically:

Dechala: Enslavement, carries 6 swords, no legs
Valnir: ehhh, some sort of magic flail
Arbaal: rides a beefed-up Fleshhound
Aekold: flies, has a magic sword

On another note, there seems to be some sort of conflict with the Warhammer Lizardmen mod, as I keep noticing the Lizardmen have unreasoned Nurgle champions in their armies.

Panpiper May 18th, 2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noble713 (Post 691470)
I also started working on some unique champions but since I don't have a clue how to code them, they are still at the "brainstorming" phase.

... there seems to be some sort of conflict with the Warhammer Lizardmen mod.

I will release a new version in the next couple of days that will fix the Lizardmen conflict. Hopefully it won't 'cause' a different conflict. The new Chaos version will use unitslots 2338-2388. (This is better as previously it used two distinct number sets which increased the likely hood of a conflict.) There was in fact a very large overlap in the unitslots between Chaos and Lizardmen.

Your graphics are great and I would like to include them in the next version release (I presume that was your intent when you posted them), especially the new Bloodthirster and Lord of Change. I am not certain what your desired intent was with the other graphics. Valnir the Reaper (Nurgle), Arbaal the Undefeated (Khorne), and Aekold Helbrass (Tzeentch) can be used as they are as the Deamon Princes for those powers.

The Slaanesh Daemon Princess already has a custom sprite, and there is a problem with your design, namely the game does not allow for more than four arms/weapon on a single chassis. This can be abstracted to some degree by having for instance a single 'bonus' weapon defined as two arms with two strikes. These arms would not be able to carry any gear other than those weapons that the character comes designed with. So it would have two regular hand slots and two extra pairs of arms that cannot be re-equipped. What we do not yet have for graphics in the Chaos race mod is the Slaanesh greater demon. Perhaps we could rework your concept into that?

Then all we will need is a sprite set for the Nurgle greater demon and we will be really set for graphics. (Some of the marginal demon summonables will still be using placeholder graphics even then.)

Would you be able to upload a zip file containing the individual sprite graphics as opposed to all of them on one image? That will spare me the work of having to turn your work back into usable sprites.

And thank you for this. I'm glad for the assistance. I have little motive for doing graphics work usually but am reasonably happy coding the .dm files.

Noble713 May 21st, 2009 10:57 PM

Yeah, I didn't really describe those "others" too well.

Basically, I got frustrated with the constantly-appearing (and, IMO, sorta useless) Chaos Spawn "heroes", so I decided to incorporate some characters straight from the old-school Chaos background. Unfortunately, I had no idea how to actually code them without really messing things up. So that's what they're for: graphics for unique Chaos Undivided national heroes.

Panpiper May 26th, 2009 06:25 PM

I sat down to do the work of implementing your graphics and a couple new heroes, got the coding done and then stopped cold when I got to transferring graphics. The image file you uploaded here is a JPG, which is a lossy file and has introduced quite a bit of distortion to the sprites. Could you either send to me by Email, PM or upload here, a zip file of the original graphics in their TGA format please?

Noble713 June 17th, 2009 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My apologies for the delay, summer classes + not much gaming = haven't checked the site regularly. The images are attached.

On a possibly related note, I recently installed Dom3, the Warhammer World map, and all the Warhammer races on my Linux computer. I started a game as Chaos and all of the national spells seem to be missing. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Panpiper June 17th, 2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noble713 (Post 696362)
I recently installed Dom3, the Warhammer World map, and all the Warhammer races on my Linux computer. I started a game as Chaos and all of the national spells seem to be missing. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I expect it is another numbering conflict, just like the troops with the Lizardmen. I guess I will myself have to download all the Warhammer mods and eyeball each one for where the conflict might be. I have resolved the Lizardmen troops numbering conflict in the as yet un-uploaded working version, though I may have caused other conflicts.

Numbering conflicts are almost inevitable when a large number of mods are played at once. But it would be nice if at least the Warhammer races did not conflict with each other.

I'll get your sprites into the mod and have the new version uploaded hopefully sometime this weekend (with numbering conflicts resolved).

By the way, you would be doing me a favor if you were to list all the mods you have enabled.

Noble713 June 21st, 2009 07:12 AM

Chaos Undivided 0.55
AI Ogre Kingdoms 0.7
Tomb Kings 1.03
Skaven 1.0

For some reason activating the Lizardmen (v0.3) causes the game to crash when I try to start a new game. Not sure what the problem is there, but I've got them turned off as a consequence.

I don't know how practical or feasible it would be to eventually have some sort of Warhammer Mega-Mod, where a player could run the map and virtually all the races together. It's a nice idea though, and probably the only way we'll get a decent Warhammer strategy game. Numerous attempts to mod the Total War series have so far not succeeded.

Noble713 June 21st, 2009 07:43 AM

Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I forgot to install the patch. :(

30-minute time limit on message editing? Peculiar...

Sombre June 21st, 2009 12:06 PM

It's so the terrorists don't win.

Lungfish July 5th, 2009 03:32 PM

Excuse me, how do I fix the bad#startsite commands that my computer keeps screaming is there. I checked the mod over and it does not appear to have anything out of the ordinary going on. please help.

rdonj July 5th, 2009 09:20 PM

Do you have any other mods on? You'll get that error if two mods are using the same numbers for a startsite.

grimogre July 13th, 2009 02:43 AM

I put the unzip files in the mod file.Unzip,but it still doesn't work in the game?:confused::confused:

Sombre July 13th, 2009 04:16 AM

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=33869

Ruefiesty August 21st, 2009 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lungfish (Post 699832)
Excuse me, how do I fix the bad#startsite commands that my computer keeps screaming is there. I checked the mod over and it does not appear to have anything out of the ordinary going on. please help.

I just downloaded the WH themed armies started a game with Tomb Kings, Bretonnia, Ogre Kingdoms, Skaven, and Chaos and Bretonnia and Chaos use have a conflict with site #790 and #791. I changed those out to try to get into the game. Will check to see if there is anything else that runs strangely.

On a side note. Just a thought but would it be possible to take the WH themed nations done and arrange them to have no number conflicts? I think that would help keep it so they are all playable at the same time and even make maybe a standard for the remaining nations to have numbers assigned to them?

Lungfish August 22nd, 2009 12:29 PM

That would be very helpful. I would really enjoy a battle between the Tharoon, Chaos Worshippers and the Ermorians.

Burnsaber August 22nd, 2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruefiesty (Post 706479)
On a side note. Just a thought but would it be possible to take the WH themed nations done and arrange them to have no number conflicts? I think that would help keep it so they are all playable at the same time and even make maybe a standard for the remaining nations to have numbers assigned to them?

Yeah, the problem is Bretonnia, otherwise all WH nations are compactible. Sorry about that, it's a absolute brainfart on my part, I'll fix it once I get my hands on updating Bretonnia (I'll be introducing some more units too, so I don't want to rush it).

Ruefiesty August 22nd, 2009 08:15 PM

I noticed that the WH Lizardmen and your Chaos Undivided mods use the same Nation #75. For myself I went to the liberity of moving this one to #77.
I only test played a short game with the 6 mods I am aware of
Tomb Kings
Bretonnia
Lizardmen
Ogre Kingdoms
Skaven
Chaos
They all seem to now work without any issues after those 2 switches. tho I have not gone far into a game as of yet.
Seems it is working pretty good