.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   (WIP) Campaign: Lvov to Berlin (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50815)

Ts4EVER May 11th, 2015 05:40 PM

(WIP) Campaign: Lvov to Berlin

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
I made a new Russian campaign. You might remember the "Za Rodinu!" campaign I made a while back (It's officially in the game now). While I do like it, it was also relatively short and very hard. I thought there should be a Russian campaign that is:
1. A bit more accessible to new players
2. More focused on tank vs tank combat
3. Longer and with more content

So I made this. I tested it and it works and is winnable. I still would like to have some more eyes on it though and gather some feedback, especially in regards to difficulty level.

The campaign goes into campaign slot 56.

Quote:

"From Lvov to Berlin"

Russian Campaign

July 13th 1944 - April 30th 1945

Design by Ts4EVER

The Soviet-German conflict remains without equal in scale, both of the forces involved and the destruction wrought. This campaign depicts the final months of this war, which was characterised by the dissolution of German military might and crushing victories by the Red Army.

The First Ukrainian front started this last campaign in Poland and ended it at the gates of Berlin. On the way it had faced the best the Germans were able to throw at it and had fought in several significant tank battles. It was here that the Red army, after a dysmal showing at the start of the conflict, developed into a highly effective combined arms fighting force.

This campaign follows the exploits of a tank company and its supporting infantry in the First Ukranian front. You will command this force in 17 different battles, although some of them are only unlocked if you perform well in the battle before them. The campagn was made with the new player in mind: It is a lot more forgiving than my previous campaigns. You will receive 150 repair points for every battle and especially later in the war you will often be able to choose your support yourself. Expanding your core force is possible, but not necessary. You will generally be able to advance the campaign with any result except a decisive defeat. Any exception to this rule is noted in the mission briefing.

I hope you enjoy this campaign. If you want to give me feedback or suggestions for improvement, there is a thread on the official WinSPWW2 forums.

DRG May 12th, 2015 07:34 AM

Re: (WIP) Campaign: Lvov to Berlin

Next January PM me and we'll get any missed scenarios and campaigns of yours into the next upgrade.

Don

Ts4EVER May 29th, 2015 06:15 PM

So, did anyone try it? Any feedback?

Griefbringer June 7th, 2015 04:00 AM

I just downloaded it, but at the moment I don't have time to play through a proper campaign. I will try to play it later this summer, though.

Lancer June 17th, 2015 06:06 AM

I have downloaded it and will try it. I consider myself a beginner though I have played before. As soon as I saw Za Rodinu I wanted to ry that but doubt I have the skill to do it justice. So this one will be a lot of fun to try first. Many thanks!

Lancer June 21st, 2015 12:28 PM

I played the first three battles. So far so good. 3 DV but I don't think it is too easy.The 2nd battle would have turned out much different if I had not been able to see the dust clouds of the approaching enemy. The 3rd battle would have too if I had been able to spot those panzerschrecker teams earlier. (as in I wouldn't have started backing up in time) I'd go into more detail but I do not want to be a spoiler.

I do not remember German troops routing so easily (especially without Artillery) or that they go Japan and fight to the las man (or almost) as frequently as it's been happening. I think the scenarios are well designed. I have fun.

I'm about to start the fourth battle. I do not have much confidence for another decisive victory. I do not want to split the force or try to cross the swamp river, though I will have to choose one or the other.

Many thanks!

Ts4EVER June 22nd, 2015 08:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sure if you put a spoiler warning in, you could go into more detail if you want.

Lancer June 25th, 2015 12:33 PM

I do not see a spoiler button option to hide part of the thread. If I have to type "spoiler alert" manually I will do that.

I finished the 4th battle - DV
The KV-8s is an awesome machine. They worked to perfection. I did lose a tank (but not the crew!) and a carrier because I chose the wrong spots to smoke at the beginning. I'm always losing the tank hunters though they have done their job occasionally. As with earlier battles I was expecting more opposition even though I should've realized from the briefings that these are more pursuit/mop up operations than big battles.

I think this campaign is great for less experienced players. Every scenario requires use of different game concepts that we should all learn and understand. You have done a very nice job.

I really appreciate the work you put into it.

Lancer June 25th, 2015 12:44 PM

I am about to start the 5th battle. These are the type I always have trouble with - I can smell atg and mg hidden everywhere. I wish I knew where on the map reinforcements are going to show up. Here we go Katyushas!

Many thanks!

Ts4EVER June 25th, 2015 12:57 PM

Yes, I made the campaign with less experienced players in mind. The first three battles are meant as a "tutorial" (not so much for the game mechanics but for your force).
In the first scenario I wanted to "force" players to mount their infantry on tanks, since the objective is pretty far away and you get no other transport. I think this is a quintessentially "Russian" thing to do and I wanted to structure the force around it.
In the second battle, with the dust clouds, I wanted to get the player to practice ambushing enemy tanks and anticipating where they would go. This will become more important later when you are facing kingtigers and other heavy stuff that is superior to your own tanks.
In the third battle I wanted to reinforce that your tanks need to be protected from infantry in close quarters. Especially the later levels have lots of Panzerfausts.
The fourth battle is optional, you only get it if you win the previous battle. The fifth one is what is called a "graduation" type level in game design in that you have to win it to advance and it "tests" all the stuff from the earlier scenarios (except the tank vs tank stuff, that becomes important later).