.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Multiplayer & AARs (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Multiplayer scripts (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=28687)

Ygorl May 1st, 2006 12:54 AM

Multiplayer scripts

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple Applescripts I've worked up to make hosting PBEM games easier. One checks all the files, hosts the turn, and emails everyone. The other is meant to be used as a folder action on the game folder, and checks each .2h file when you drag it into the folder - if there's a problem, it deletes the bad file and emails the person who sent it to request another.
I hope some folks find them useful. Feel free to post questions, and to make changes to teh scripts; if you do make improvements, please post them here so we can all benefit. Cheers!

WraithLord May 1st, 2006 05:25 AM

Re: Multiplayer scripts

Nice work Ygorl!

I have also made a script that has the same functionality, it is however written in Python, so it is cross platform. I don't think it's a good idea to distribute it yet as it is quite raw , mostly meaning it has no UI. But hey, if there's interest I wouldn't mind throwing in a UI http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Ygorl May 1st, 2006 11:11 AM

Definitely interested. That my stuff is Mac-only is a pretty big drawback; I only did it that way because it was easiest for me, and I'd love to see something that'll work anywhere.

djo May 1st, 2006 11:20 AM

I'd been thinking about Python scripts for this, too, but I never got around to it.

I could lend a hand in small ways if it's needed. I am an experienced Python programmer. I will be changing jobs and moving soon, so I can't get involved in depth.

What are you thinking for UI? Tkinter?

WraithLord May 1st, 2006 11:48 AM

As I mainly work with Java/CPP I don't have experience with Python GUI libs, I had in mind to provide a UI rather then GUI, meaning CLI and menu based CLI. But I took a look at Tkinter online tutorial and it seems pretty straight forward to use so GUI is also feasible.

djo, I would be happpy for your help. If you'd like we can cont. this conversation by email (izaqyos@gmail.com).

Ygorl, Life has been keeping me quite busy as of late (what with new release at work, moving 2 a new apartment and submitting research work) so it will take me about a week or two to polish this script, when it's done I'll post it here.

AFAIK it should also be possible to compile python code to specific platforms, if so there won't even be any need to install Python to run the script.

Ygorl May 3rd, 2006 10:11 PM

Random script

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another one, that randomly assigns nations to players and emails them the results. This is a very simple Applescript, and it could even be used for things other than Dominions.

Ygorl May 12th, 2006 05:37 PM

PBEM scripts

1 Attachment(s)
Updated versions, for the five Mac-using PBEM-hosting, script-loving, Dominions-2-playing people out there...

emailer script:
Fixed a bug that would send multiple emails to some players if there were fewer than 17 players.
Made it (even) easier to choose between sending out zipped or uncompressed .trn files.

folder action:
Will now automatically open zipped files for you, when you drop them into a game folder for which this action has been enabled.

PashaDawg May 13th, 2006 10:22 AM

Re: PBEM scripts

Wow! Thanks Ygorl. It almost makes me want to host a game right now!!

shovah May 13th, 2006 03:35 PM

thanks, i wont be using these myself but anything that makes people host more games is good.

Ygorl May 18th, 2006 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New versions... The Folder Action now has an option to automatically email receipt notifications for those players that want them, and fixed a bug in the hosting script that would cause it to not clean up after itself properly (i.e. it wouldn't delete the old obsolete files) if no .zip files were in the game folder.