.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Effectiveness of TI (thermal imaging) (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=49782)

EJ June 3rd, 2013 03:31 PM

Effectiveness of TI (thermal imaging)

This is a general question open to ANY who want to reply. I recently played a pbem in which tanks had TI. I attempted to ambush a TI tank which was out in the open from behind while my tank was in cover(forest). It went bad....My unit did NOT even get a shot off before being killed in ONE shot...:doh: Is TI supposed to be THAT much of an advantage? I mean is it like a 360 degree "spidey" sense?

Suhiir June 3rd, 2013 11:49 PM

Re: Effectiveness of TI (thermal imaging)

Any enemy unit within detection range (either the scenarios max or its own vision capability) may be detected.
Facing, smoke, cover, and many other factors come into play.

So it's not that TI is "spidey sense" but he got lucky (or you got unlucky) and he fired first.

Imp June 4th, 2013 06:22 AM

Hard to say from the info given but generally no though they do see better to the rear than they should due to the way the game engine works.
What range
Was the enemy tank stationary or moving, its more likely to see you & get a shot off first the slower its moving.
How fast did you move, anything over 1 hex increases chances of being spotted by a fair bit.
Was any enemy infantry on the ground near the tank to act as extra eyes. This is the best protection vs a sneak attack it will most likely fail.
You can sometimes see this work clearly as a sort of ripple effect, nearby units react.
Any further activity in the area & the words out more units will react especially in a modern game with decent radios.

Probably infantry on the ground or he just got lucky if you only moved 1 hex.

Miketee10022 June 15th, 2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suhiir (Post 820510)
Any enemy unit within detection range (either the scenarios max or its own vision capability) may be detected.
Facing, smoke, cover, and many other factors come into play.

So it's not that TI is "spidey sense" but he got lucky (or you got unlucky) and he fired first.

Just a word of thanks! This reply was very helpful!

Rosmarus June 20th, 2013 05:04 PM

As for realism. Usually tank commander is keeping an eye out with his periscope so that gives him 360 degrees of visibility (well not real 360 degrees, but you get the idea) while the gunner keeps an eye on the frontal sector of the tank with his imaging equipment.

gingertanker August 6th, 2013 07:10 PM

IRL manny(most) tanks with TI dont have an independent TI viewer for commander...But this impossible to model in SPMBT. As for its effectiveness...In my prettey well educated opinion, TI gives you an amazing advantage. In my tank it ran all the time, day and night, even though it made an annoying sound. The biggest surprise to me when I first used TI was how helpful it is in broad day light. Targets that are hardly visible due to their colour or shape still have a heat signature. and with targets looking pretty damned small at ranges above 2000m, they are easier to spot in TI than by normal optics.

EJ August 15th, 2013 01:27 PM

Thanks for EXPLAINING the significant advantage of TI. I never knew it was such a game changer in technology!

Suhiir August 15th, 2013 09:15 PM

Night vision in general is a real game changer.

Think about Gulf War I.
Night attacks weren't made very often because visibility limited the attacker as much (or more) then the defender. But during Gulf I they were the attack of choice because Iraqi night vision gear (when they had any at all) was much inferior to ours.

EJ August 18th, 2013 02:18 AM

Suhiir,

Do you pbem? We should get a game going sometime.....

PPoS September 29th, 2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingertanker (Post 821393)
IRL manny(most) tanks with TI dont have an independent TI viewer for commander...But this impossible to model in SPMBT. As for its effectiveness...In my prettey well educated opinion, TI gives you an amazing advantage. In my tank it ran all the time, day and night, even though it made an annoying sound. The biggest surprise to me when I first used TI was how helpful it is in broad day light. Targets that are hardly visible due to their colour or shape still have a heat signature. and with targets looking pretty damned small at ranges above 2000m, they are easier to spot in TI than by normal optics.

I just thought about something. I don't know if you know this but; how does hot terrain interact with TI ? E.g. hot desert sand or heated asphalt. And I also don't know what generation of TI you have experience with, but how easy would you say it would've been to ID what type of tank you're looking at, etc ?