.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Scenarios, Maps and Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Mod: MA Ulm : \ (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=34368)

Xietor April 27th, 2007 12:03 AM

Re: [Mod] MA Ulm : \"Black Steel of Ulm\"

After much thought, I have this thought, if the author deems the present conscription having the potential to unbalance, then the Ulm capital could have a site that the Duke of Ulm could enter to conscript troops.

That way troops could only be summoned at the capital and only by one Duke at a time. As the beer commercials say, "brilliant."

Xietor April 27th, 2007 01:11 AM

My continuing thoughts on an excellent mod:

On the Ulm pd, why were the arbalests removed? The crossbows do fire more often, but they are not as armored and lack the morale of the arbalest. Also, and more of a concern, Ulm does not get crossbowmen.

2nd, with the lower morale militia in the pd, the commander with the standard standing at the rear is too far away too boost morale. Is there any way to get him to "stay behind troops?"

Ulm did gets pikes as its unit after 20, were the improved pikes considered too overpowered for the pd?

Xietor April 27th, 2007 03:08 PM

As i continue to play this mod, i do not think Ulm is overpowered. Those summoned guys run at the 1st scratch, and I think the pd has been weakened.

VedalkenBear April 27th, 2007 05:09 PM

Well, I dunno. I've always wanted regular crossbows as opposed to Arbalestiers for Ulm (1/3 rounds hurts).

And the militia? I've yet to see them break. Not exactly sure what I'm doing 'right', but maybe it's the Dominion 10 and Temples everywhere (i.e., I'm getting a constant +1 morale from friendly dominion).

Xietor April 27th, 2007 08:34 PM

I am talking the pd in enemy dominion. The crossbows fire more often, but have lower morale and armor. Ulm also got 11 morale pikemen after 20.

Xietor April 28th, 2007 10:20 PM

Ulm does not get crossbows as a unit, and i prefer the arbalest in the pd.

I would not mind playing anyone against using the ulm mod, but i likely would require them to agree not to use more than 1 duke summoning at a time.

That is the only unbalanced abuse issue i can see. if someone took strong scales and had several dukes summoning at the same time.

Duke's training grounds, part of ulm's keep, where a duke can enter to train new troops. Ulm has a ridiculous resource cost for its troops, so allowing them a few troops per turn is not unbalancing.

Look how many vans you can get a turn at their resource cost, and see how many black knights you can get at their resource cost. and the van is a far superior unit.

Dedas April 28th, 2007 10:43 PM

Try to build more castles than usual when playing Ulm. Remember that they get 25% more resources from every castle and that almost all their troops only cost 10 gold each. That gives you a lot of gold to build those castles with. Try order 3 and production 3. Build your second castle on turn 3. It really, really helps.
Vanilla Ulm has potential, you just have to play it "Ulm style". http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Good luck mate.

Xietor April 29th, 2007 02:41 AM

That is very good advice!

Yeah, i build castles, but i do not like building castles that take away from my main castles resources, so i cant build another one on turn 3 heh. Those black knights are hard to mass produce at 75 resources a pop though.

VedalkenBear April 29th, 2007 04:25 AM

Er, just recruit Dukes. There's your Black Knights right there.

Dedas April 29th, 2007 05:39 AM

If you have a mountain province adjacent to your capitol and your capitol has more than 2 adjacent other provinces, build a castle there. The peg-fortresses Ulm has are great with their 700 defense and admin 20, and they do not drain the capitol's provinces, only the province their built on. Read it up in the manual. There is "hidden" 50% resource pool in every province that is used for admin first. Building a castle on a province unlocks all the resources in that province of course.

A small walkthrough:
Let's say that the mountain province you have adjacent to your capitol is a mountain with 65 visible resources (if you capture it this number will of course go down at first due to the unrest). This figure (65) isn't too far fetched and is pretty standard for a mountain region.
After you've captured it you start building your castle here, paying the 1000 gold that you will have on turn 3 if you did everything right; if you have difficulties with this use an Alchemist pretender, or use one so you also can build troops in your capitol on that turn. The castle will take 4 turns to complete, so use your scout pretender to build it the first turn, recruiting a commander or scout to continue it on the next. Attack another province adjacent to your capitol (with good resources) with your unoccupied army.

This is what the new castle will get in resources:
65 base
*2 - for fortress built
30% bonus - your dominion
25% bonus - Ulm production bonus
= 201,5 resources
+ 20% from adjacent provinces without a castle.
Say 4 provinces with 45 resources each after your dominion Remember now that it draws from the hidden pool so this won't affect your capitol.
Total = 237,5 resources

Not too bad is it.
Your capitol will still have way over 200 resources as it begins with 130 (if you play production 3) and draws 50% from adjacent provinces.

Another good thing with this is that your new fortress is only one move away eliminating the dangerous travel later for your troops, who almost everyone has mapmove 1.

You could of course build a citadel (admin 40) if you only have standard provinces around you, but this would lead to draining problems later when trying to maximize outcome.

The strategy is to build a long chain of castles as fast as possible. Your capitol will form the center.

After you've built around 4-5 castles in the first year and a half and labs here and there, start mass producing troops and smiths.

You will find that this castle chain is not something your enemies wants to siege as you can ship reinforcements between your castles fast and safely. In your capitol you should build lord guardians for defense of the chain. In the other try to build one troop of each type useful for the campaign you are planning. The smiths should of course forge like earth boots with their earlier forged dwarven hammers (a final 50% forge bonus) and later good equipment for you commanders. Also build some siege engineers and siege troops (they have crossbows) with any spare resources. They will come in handy, I promise.

Good luck.