.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Approaching Infinity (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Bug: Reports of bugs or possible bugs. (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50566)

Fennrick December 20th, 2014 04:32 AM

Reports of bugs or possible bugs.

Right now im trying to do a quest for the tentakulon faction that gives me a regenerative shield device and wants me to fly through 20 ion storms with it. Except that it does not work, i've flewn through many many ion storms but the game does not register my work.

Another thing with that quest: Everytime you accept it, you get aforementioned device as a gift. So what do we do?
1. Accept the quest.
2. Sell the device you just got.
3. Abandon the quest.
4. Take the quest again.
5. Get the device again (for free).
6. Sell it again.
7. Rince and repeat. Basically infinite credits. :down:

yeahjim December 20th, 2014 03:08 PM

Bug Reports

Warped to sector 2, and...

http://s13.postimg.org/n6goyayp3/sector_2.jpg

P.S. Maybe a bug report sticky?

Fennrick December 20th, 2014 05:13 PM

Going into caves respawns quest items on planet surface

Like the title says: If you have to collect 25 ressource samples b.e. and collect all of them that are available on a planets surface, then enter a cave on said planet and leave, there will be new ressource samples on the planet. Again, easily exploitable.

Something that could be a bug but im not sure:
Regarding gruff quests: The quests keep repeating (slay the phoenix, shoot the mercs etc.) but i still haven't got the achievement for doing all the gruff quests unlocked. I even unlocked a new ship so i think i've done everything those gruff have to offer.

I think ill stop playing for now until some of the stuff is sorted out. We need a "Bug Report Sticky".

vondee December 22nd, 2014 10:26 AM

Approaching Infinity Crashes Regularly on Mac

2 Attachment(s)
Loved the demo and bought the game to play on my Mac. Demo worked fine but the production game crashes to desktop regularly. I think my longest uninterrupted duration of play was about 20 minutes.

Here is a screen shot of the error after it crashes. I've also attached a copy of the detailed text from the dump that is shown in the screen shot.

The game is great (for the little I've been able to play it). Hope you can find a solution because right now, I'm stuck with a game that doesn't work.

Many thanks!

ibol December 22nd, 2014 05:48 PM

Re: Reports of bugs or possible bugs.

OK, first:
Hi everyone, I am finally back from my pre-holiday travels
I am already working on the various issues that have been reported throughout the forum.
We knew that new issues would arise once we had a larger player base.

About the tentaculon quest:
abandoning a quest with a race does reduce your rep with that race, but perhaps it's not enough to deter players. Will investigate. Will also reduce the device's price, since it's very quest-specific and exploitable.

About Asteroid Sector:
I can't believe that is still happening. I apologize.
I will make yet another fix for that.

About the Mac Crash:
thanks a lot for the detailed information.
from the screenshot, it appears to have something to do with the music.
Which is good, because it's one of the few systems that are different between the demo and the release version. So, in the short term,
please try deactivating music as soon as you start, and try again.
Go into main option menu, and reduce volume to zero, or click the music button in-game, until music volume is 0.

Sorry,
will fix all,
Bob

Fennrick December 22nd, 2014 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reply Ibol. I don't think theres any reason to be sorry. The game is great and stuff like this is bound to happen after a game releases. Kudos to you for staying in touch and merry christmas to everyone!

ibol December 22nd, 2014 06:45 PM

Appreciated!
Looking more deeply into the tentaculon quest, I've confirmed a bug: it gives you the wrong device! (now do you think I should be sorry?!)

Here is a daily code for today (12/22) that will give you the right device,
allowing you to complete the quest:
qmSB3BKB
and here's one for tomorrow, just in case you used one today:
moUwfDK6

+1 on the Merry Christmas,
Bob

Fennrick December 22nd, 2014 09:42 PM

Thanks for the code, tried it, installed the new device and sucked up many ion storms. I think it still doesnt work. Quest is in my log but is not getting updated. :D

vondee December 22nd, 2014 10:19 PM

Thanks so much for looking at the Mac issue. Tried turning game sound down/off but still have the crashes. Thanks again for the great customer support and have a great holiday!

ibol December 23rd, 2014 12:07 AM

@Fennrick, it is entirely possible that that quest does not actually show a count of successes, so please keep at it & check back with the embassy. [edit] : I can verify, it does not show successes, but it is entirely complete-able.
I can also verify that a future tentac quest suffers from the same 'gives you the wrong device' error. (I re-arranged devices to alphabetical order, and didn't catch all the changes apparently)

@vondee, I said music & you said sound... just to be clear, I mean music. However, I will continue to look into it. I do have notes from a quite a few mac users, and have not had a similar problem.
[edit]: I read your future response and that sucks. :/

vondee December 23rd, 2014 12:31 AM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I turned music off and still had the problem. Then turned all sound off and crashed again. Thanks Bob.

JimSB December 23rd, 2014 12:45 PM

Just starting and was leaving an explored planet. I received the following in a modal dialogue box:
"Failed to open file for writing media/Stnemevei.Hca at line 33699 in root."

Acknowledged the box and the program terminated.

I restarted the game and it put me in space at the planet I had just explored. I went to the surface and the exploration I had done seemed to still be there, and the game continued.

GreeneDR00L December 23rd, 2014 01:25 PM

I ran into this yesterday after completing the first quest in the Sigorn path:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=360749538

I wasn't able to receive any further quests from them after this turned up.

vondee December 28th, 2014 01:35 PM

Bob - any update on fixing the Mac bug? I know with the holidays this past week things may be taking a while to get to. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

ibol December 28th, 2014 09:09 PM

[message text removed, problem (temporarily) solved!]

JimSB December 29th, 2014 05:52 PM

I was attempting to complete the Resistance Quest which involves spelunking in a Banker cave. The planet was infested with bashers (my least favorite critter) with no open lines of sight for area weapons. So I took off and relanded using the vertical landing module so that I would be closer to the cave and wouldn't need to wade back and forth through the respawning bashers. However, the landing took place ON the cave (unlikely but it happened) and I was unable to enter and explore. I took off and landed again, and the cave had disappeared was replaced by a scorched earth tile. This forced me to abandon and restart the quest.

Cyberis December 30th, 2014 12:13 PM

JimSB,
This is a known issue which I had reported earlier. Ibol is aware and I believe he is working on a fix.

JimSB December 30th, 2014 01:54 PM

Was doing the space amoeba quest with an amoeba scoop installed. Ran into some of them and nothing happened except that they shot at me. Does this need to be done in a specific sector?

JimSB December 30th, 2014 01:55 PM

I just completed the Banker's quest. It says "You have just Achieved Planetary Emporer Victory". Note the spelling of "Emporer".

ibol January 6th, 2015 09:38 AM

That's how they spell it
IN SPACE!

:p

Seriously, wow, you got all that money?! I don't want to know how...

Re:caves: yes, it's fixed in my build...unlikely but possible...sorry
Re:amoebas: all I can say is, it worked the last time I tried it...moving into amoeba with amoeba scoop equipped should absorb them...will check.

Waltorious January 6th, 2015 10:37 PM

Looks like I just ran into that bug with the Tentaculon quest about ion storms... any chance I could get an updated code for the correct device? Thanks!

DamienPS January 7th, 2015 06:16 PM

I have come across a problem/bug with mysterious anomaly twice now.

Where it is hidden under Tentaculon ships which stay in place until you abandon the quest.

JimSB January 8th, 2015 08:03 PM

A bug similar to the ion storm bug happens to me with space amoebas. I get the quest to pick up some samples and a gizmo that is supposed to work when I bump into them. However, when I equip the gizmo and bump into me they not only shoot at me but also no progress is made on the quest.

ibol January 9th, 2015 02:26 PM

I am preparing to release an update, but it's got to go thru some testing. All verified issues reported here will be fixed.

Waltorious January 11th, 2015 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibol (Post 827764)
I am preparing to release an update, but it's got to go thru some testing. All verified issues reported here will be fixed.

Glad to hear that... I was wondering if the Tentaculon ships sitting on top of the anomaly is actually a bug? I encountered that too, but thought maybe it simply meant that to complete that quest for the Bankers I'd have to shoot some Tentaculon ships.

Also, I ended up finding the device I needed for the Tentaculon quest elsewhere, and actually managed to finish their questline yesterday. It was pretty cool!

ibol January 11th, 2015 12:55 AM

Wow, that's great!

As for the Tentaculons in general: yeah, they do love their anomalies, and they have just as much right to be there as you...tough choices... ;)
(not a bug, though I have reduced the number that spawn in the vicinity...)

bdhurkett January 11th, 2015 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure if this is a bug, because I haven't touched it previously, but I can't seem to change the status of officers on the away team. I had the Captain, hired two more, and found one on a shipwreck. The last one started on the away team as expected, but I can't remove them or add others - clicking the 'Away Team' button does nothing. The Dismiss button works.

Edit: Ah. The 'Away Team' button worked fine once I exited the (Firax) space station. Overzealous prevention of changing away teams mid-mission?

Also, separate issue - I feel like something is missing from the text in the screenshot.

Cyberis January 11th, 2015 09:17 AM

I had a strange bug happen to me recently. I landed on a planet with a cave but hadn't yet explored the cave. I went back into orbit and brought the shuttle nearer to the cave (but not on top of it). I could see it on the map but was not visible to my player character as it wasn't yet in visual range. As soon as I got close enough for it to be in visual range it disappeared permanently. I lifted off and landed several times after that and it never reappeared. It disappeared right as it was going from non-visual to visual range.

phanatic62 January 11th, 2015 11:16 PM

Found a typo. From a Firaxughinians Historical Monument:

Quote:

Born before the tides of time were set apon...
Should be "upon".

bdhurkett January 12th, 2015 09:18 PM

The daily codes are a bonus, so it's not that much of a problem, but I've never been able to get one accepted. Do they use the date on the local computer? I'm UTC+10, so it's usually 'tomorrow' for me when I see them.

ibol January 12th, 2015 09:53 PM

Yes, it uses the date wherever you are, that's why I tend to release them ahead of time, and in groups. Time zones are a bit of a mess... there's no actual penalty for using a code that doesn't work, so if today's doesn't work, try yesterday's or tomorrow's...

Many of the above reported bugs have been fixed.

bdhurkett January 14th, 2015 02:47 AM

Having trouble uploading a screenshot, but ran into an odd situation in my Sector 28, where there wasn't a warp point present. 'Luckily' there was a wormhole so there was some kind of exit. I'm not sure if that's allowed to happen occasionally or just luck that I wasn't trapped?

bdhurkett January 14th, 2015 07:51 AM

Can't edit the above post, but it happened again so I guess it was on purpose.

Better bug: The 'ESC to exit' button in the artefact identification screen can't be clicked - at least when the other options are 'positive' or 'negative' effect.

ibol January 14th, 2015 11:05 PM

ok, so:
wormholes sometimes replace warp points. this is allowed. It is even conceivable that a warp point may destabilize and disappear. The solution there is to spend some time on a station or planet, and a new one will probably form...nature abhors a vacuum, etc. (but then why is 99% of it a vacuum...nature is self-loathing...)

'esc button on artifact ID' : yes, I've noticed that. thanks. will fix.
esc key does work tho.

also note: once you've selected positive or negative, there is no going back, no exiting. you have committed to guessing, and the consequences.

bdhurkett January 15th, 2015 12:53 AM

I didn't receive a message upon handing in the fourth relic (the quest window showed up, but the text portion up top was blank. The UI and cash in the reward bit were fine.) I had a quick peek in the text files without trying to spoil anything and it looks like there's nothing for completion written there. I also didn't see any unexpected ships in the sector, but I didn't exactly search for them.

Secondary bug: The game is too addictive?

Cyberis January 15th, 2015 05:38 PM

Yeah, this game is like spaceman crack!!!!!!!!!

Greyfang January 18th, 2015 03:18 AM

I have had it happen to me a few times now when in a cave and when I find a "heavy object" but I cannot pick it up because I am already carrying a "heavy object" that after going back to the shuttle and dumping my cargo on my return the previously spotted "heavy object" is gone and no longer anywhere to be found. Is this a bug or working as intended ?

ibol January 18th, 2015 01:29 PM

Greyfang,
that is working as intended.
certain things (ship components specifically) are considered to be so valuable that you must pick them up when you see them, or someone else will come along when you're not looking and take them.

You could always [A] abandon the thing you're already carrying, and if it's a "device", it might still be there later.

Greyfang January 18th, 2015 09:33 PM

thx for the explanation :)

on a side note what is the max level of caves we can get to ?

I am at lvl 116 now and there seems to be no end in sight...

ibol January 18th, 2015 10:25 PM

honestly, I thought that the max was 57.
are you on a quest that involves caves?
have you found any of the red rooms that are filled with treasure?
So you know how you're doing it?
(thank goodness for teleporters!)

Greyfang January 18th, 2015 11:28 PM

I did pass a level with the amulet of yendor, and I wished on it. I don't think I passed a level with a lot of schematics and such yet like the last rooms in other caves I've been. I am not on a quest involving caves as such. At the moment I am down to lvl 161 but I guess it will go on forever then heh. Really approaching infinity lol.

zircher January 22nd, 2015 03:32 PM

Ran into a sector with five warp points. First time seeing more than one. Bug or just some crazy roll of the dice I've never seen before?

David E. Gervais January 22nd, 2015 08:49 PM

Multiple warp points is possible. it's not a bug.. interesting eh?

Cheers!

Dubious January 23rd, 2015 01:10 AM

Economic message with incomplete sentence (missing marked with []):

"'No Luck!' - Mining concerns fail to find Transuranium. Market prices are[]. No end is in sight. Sector 4 is the hardest hit."

The "Transuranium" Commodity is colored Magenta.
"Red" is a shortage, "Blue" is a surplus, but what is "Magenta"? Increasing, perhaps?

-Dubious-

ibol January 23rd, 2015 10:46 AM

Dubious,
Thanks. That transuranium message is now fixed, as are a few other economic mishaps...
As for the "magenta", it signifies any commodity that is currently being affected by an economic event. In v1.0.1 (coming soon!) , you actually get a tooltip from magenta commodities, re-stating the details of the event.

Re: "sector with many warp points":
That actually gives a "level feel" message of "warp nexus".
There are many strange things out there with a 1% chance :)

Dubious February 3rd, 2015 01:37 PM

Star Temple of Paranoia: cleared red force field and explored all of one level. Two "brains?!" and a deactivated data terminal, none of which produced any reaction. Artifact: Teaspoon of Wretchedness. Map says only 55% explored. What did I miss and how do I get to it? (Or is that the "paranoia"? I did bounce off all the walls, after all!) I have had that happen with shipwrecks as well. Is it possibly computing the size before laying in the walls/voids and sometimes the two values no longer match?

-Dubious-

ibol February 3rd, 2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

computing the size before laying in the walls
Yes.
Oops.

Dubious February 4th, 2015 03:03 AM

No mercy. Got another one.

1. Crafting Lab Research provides the schematic for a "Shield Regenerator". Yet the Crafting screen does not list one. I had recorded the 6 sub-components in the final test, and could not find any listed craftable item (out of 14) with even 2 out of 3 of the sub-components. The "Shield" item did indeed produce a Shield, but not a Regenerator, and only one sub-component matched.

2. I have had mixed results attempting to research a new item, and then re-load to just before starting in the lab and researching it again. I haven't had enough sub-components to test crafting much until recently, but it appears most (if not all) items of a particular sub-group (i.e. Sidearms) have the same disassembled sub-components. Those seem to have no impact upon the results such as damage, range, speed, etc., so I'm assuming that is dependent upon crafting skill, or is it just random results?

3. It appears that the research results are completely random every time, even from the same save game. Is this what you meant when you stated the lab was random? I though you meant it was random each game but fixed at the beginning of a given play-through.

(Yes. I have too much time on my hands. I'm a retired Systems Analyst/Tech Specialist. This is what I do for fun.:angel)

-Dubious-

Dubious February 4th, 2015 04:20 AM

Just added another: Same Scientist (Researcher) "Melanie Camo" available 2 sectors apart. I sure didn't give her a ride and went straight from one BS to the other. $7K cheaper in the lower sector, but I'm needing Engineers rather than a second Scientist.

-Dubious-

ibol February 4th, 2015 11:28 AM

Dubious,
Thanks. The "name repetition issue" is known, and I just tried a new way of handling it. We'll see. [edit: Aaaaaannnnnddddd... FIXED!]

Somewhere, some time, I will explain crafting in absolute tedious detail. Maybe i'll even draw a flow chart ;)