.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Scenario: Scenario #61 El Al (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50029)

jivemi November 6th, 2013 03:50 AM

Scenario #61 El Al

Greetings folks. Thought I'd take a break from WW2 and see how the big boys play.

Anyway started out with an Israeli assault against Syrian T-55's, ATGM's, dug-in infantry and what-not. It seemed pretty daunting, what with the heavily armored Izzy force in the north having no infantry whatsoever while down south there were only reconditioned Sherman M51's to support the mech infantry. Plus there's a baker's dozen scattered objectives that have to be taken in only a dozen turns.

After crawling along for a few turns I tried pressing forward impetuously with predictable results. Syrian defenses were too strong, there wasn't enough arty for suppression plus smoke (half the time smoke tanks would get whacked trying to position themselves), and all I could manage was three VH's at the cost of over half the tank force. Somehow got a draw (about 2300 to 4450).

There's an old thread concerning scenario #1 that led to a discussion about how much more difficult SPMBT is from SPWW2. Somebody said something about how the bundled scenarios weren't meant to be easy, and someone else mentioned a particular ten-turner (also from AIW; #67 I think it was) from which you're lucky to escape with a draw.

So was my baptismal episode typical? It was fun anyway, but next time it would be nice to have some infantry with the heavies :smirk:. Cheers

Mobhack November 6th, 2013 07:17 AM

Re: Scenario #61 El Al

That scenario is a "road of death" one - for the assaulter. The only thing you can do is trundle down the road provided as fast as you can and get shot up. Given the restricted time frame Its all you can do. No time for scouting at all, and if you dismount your infantry - they will get nowhere as there is no time.

I tried it, and got a draw. Only really got into the front line defences by turn 9 - and there is no way you would be able to get to the ones way in the back.

Every time I thought that I had dealt with the last T-55 another one popped up... Plus all the other A/T systems and the infantry that pinched your objectives back on the counter-attack as your Northern column has absolutely no grunts to guard the ones you took. There proved to be rather a lot of Syrians over there!:hurt:

It might be better if it was twice as long, so you could at least use a little caution & so some tactics. Also the scenario designer changed the A0 to a jeep for some reason and thus lost the advantage of the inbuilt artillery observer status of an HQ element, and he provided no spotter.

I really don't think I'll be repeating that one, as I am not into masochism.

Andy

DRG November 6th, 2013 09:25 AM

I've started playing it and we see how I do in relation to these reports then adjust it as required ( if required... ). Once I see how it goes I might be able to understand what might have changed since it was originally designed though keep in mind CB occasionally built scenarios where a draw was an accomplishment

The "good news" is I found an icon used in that scenario that really needs updating so that's on the list too

DRG November 6th, 2013 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a draw as well ( 2682 - 4144 ). Given all three of us got that result I'm thinking CB designed it that way. In a scenario like this the challenge is playing it again and trying to do better or a number of people playing it and seeing who had the highest score. Sometimes battles are fought against impossible odds. Read about the battles for Verrières Ridge

I did find things were just starting to get interesting as the game ended so I'm thinking of increasing the turns to 16. I doubt very much that will allow a marginal victory because the Israeli side only has a 25 % point advantage on an assault but it may make it more interesting and will allow players the time to be a bit more cautious.

If anyone wants to test that simple open the editor and press deploy for either side then increase the turns to 16.......

........OR you can try the attached revised version

jivemi November 6th, 2013 11:28 PM

Much obliged Don and Andy. Appreciate your dedication to this wonderful game. I'll give the revision a try after seeing how I do in the Bekaa Valley (#16). That one apparently wasn't designed by Mr. Blackard--it says Camo Workshop--so maybe there's a chance for an MV. Thanks again and have a happy.