.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dungeon Odyssey (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Lord of the rings module (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=15085)

gozman99 April 27th, 2003 04:59 PM

Lord of the rings module

if anyone is working on a lord of the rings module i'd be pleased to help. I can't do one on my own as i do not yet have the full Version of the game. I would be pleased to help you out with the art, coding or anything that you cannot do yourself.

henk brouwer April 28th, 2003 11:38 AM

Re: Lord of the rings module

Quote:

Originally posted by gozman99:
if anyone is working on a lord of the rings module i'd be pleased to help. I can't do one on my own as i do not yet have the full Version of the game. I would be pleased to help you out with the art, coding or anything that you cannot do yourself.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I haven't heard of anyone working on such a module. LOTR would be a great setting for a module though. There are a lot of nice themes for different maps: A mazelike map for the mines of Moria, A forestmap for the Ents, an something creepy for Mordor :-).

One drawback of the demo is that the maps are so boring and predictable. They should have put at least one of the more complicated maze-maps in the demo. (the icecaves instead of the desert town for example, much more fun to explore)

[ April 28, 2003, 10:40: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

bearclaw April 29th, 2003 12:44 PM

Alright. This is just creepy. I came to this forum for the specific purpose of saying that I am about to start designing a LOTR module and to see if anyone was willing to help.

Creepy. Stop reading my mind!!!

Anyway, I've got an idea for a module. My idea is HUGE however. Absolutely HUGE. Somewhere in the order of 25+ maps. Probably closer to 35 now that I think about it.

These are some of the ideas I've come up with
-classes: Hobbit, Wizard, Elf, Dwarf, Ranger, Fighter.
-maps from everything from Hobbiton and the Barrows to The Dead Marsh, Moria, Lorien Isengard, etc.
-full connectivity in that a character can follow the story or attempt to do it in other ways.
-with only one character, the rest would be represented by special items (Gimli's axe, Legolas's bow, etc.)

I can't think of a single aspect of DO that would me unmodded. Right down to custom terrain for such things as the Dead Marsh and the Barrows.

I've got modding figured out but I've only just dabbled. I expect something like this to take quite some time to complete.

Obviously, there is one other willing to help. Any others?

Akachaki April 29th, 2003 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bearclaw:
Obviously, there is one other willing to help. Any others?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you need graphics , i offer you my help. Im not a proffesionnal for DO graphics but i have some skills. you can send me a private message,

Thank you
Justin

henk brouwer April 29th, 2003 03:14 PM

I'm working on my own (small, 4 maps for first Version) module, so I don't have time to help directly. The module will have new maps and a lot of new graphics which could be usefull for a LOTR mod though. Especially for the death marshes, and maybe the Barrows.

bearclaw April 30th, 2003 07:43 AM

Because this is going to be so large, I was thinking of making this a collective work. Not sure how it will all turn out, but this way, even for the creators there will be some surprises. I've tried this method with Space Empires 4 mods and the end results have been very enjoyable.

Anyone who has ideas or suggestions, please, feel free to let me know.

Rollo April 30th, 2003 12:07 PM

This is a great idea http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif . I offer my help and counsel. Not sure how much actual work I can put into this, but feel free to use any of the stuff from Hack and Slash module.

some ideas:
1) The widerness map should be devided into several maps, of course (duh, I bet you thought of that yourself). Probably a 3x3 or 4x4 grid would work best. This way you can have different monsters in different areas in Middle Earth. From the occasional Nazgul in the wilderness around the Shire to hordes of Uruk-Hai around Isenguard and in Rohan.

2) maybe a good starting point would be the Council of Elrond, since you can also take a different character then Hobbit. (Well, this is assuming that the character is the Ringbearer, not sure if you want to do that ir not).

3) Other characters from the fellowship could be nicely implemented via summoning scrolls. Make a scroll 'Summon Legolas' then he will follow you. These scrolls should be specific items of course that can be gained at certain points in the quest.

Good luck and have fun with this http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif ,
Rollo

Roddd May 1st, 2003 01:30 AM

[QB]Because this is going to be so large, I was thinking of making this a collective work. Not sure how it will all turn out, but this way, even for the creators there will be some surprises. I've tried this method with Space Empires 4 mods and the end results have been very enjoyable.

Sounds like a good project. Break it up into parts and let us volunteer for sections. Aragorn's route thru the Paths of the Dead from Isengard to Gondor would be a lot of fun!

[ May 01, 2003, 00:34: Message edited by: Roddd ]

Roddd May 3rd, 2003 05:34 PM

[ May 03, 2003, 16:35: Message edited by: Roddd ]

bearclaw May 4th, 2003 12:40 AM

Quote:

This is a great idea http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif . I offer my help and counsel. Not sure how much actual work I can put into this, but feel free to use any of the stuff from Hack and Slash module.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks. I'll see what might work.

Quote:

some ideas:
1) The widerness map should be devided into several maps, of course (duh, I bet you thought of that yourself). Probably a 3x3 or 4x4 grid would work best. This way you can have different monsters in different areas in Middle Earth. From the occasional Nazgul in the wilderness around the Shire to hordes of Uruk-Hai around Isenguard and in Rohan.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I've got 24 map ideas so far and that's only up to the end of The Two Towers. I haven't seen the second movie yet and i'm re-reading the books for the first time since I was 14. What I do have is the BBC radio broadcast on 13 tapes. Works out great because I can make notes while listening.

Quote:

2) maybe a good starting point would be the Council of Elrond, since you can also take a different character then Hobbit. (Well, this is assuming that the character is the Ringbearer, not sure if you want to do that ir not).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I came to the same conclusion too. I'd really like to have Bree, Weathertop and the barrows in there though. Here's a thought. Is there anyway, can anyone think of a way to make it that the starting place is different depending on the class chosen? If so, the Hobbits could start in Hobbiton, Elves in Mirkwood, etc. And the first quest for everyone would be to get to Rivendall. I'm thinking now that the story would be carried by the quests. Once you've left Rivendale, the quest would be to get down the Anduin to Rohan. There, you could take one of two qwests depending on how you wanted to progress the story. You could accept the RingBearer Quest and journy to Mordor, or take the Warring Quest which ends up leading to Gondor.

I'm now putting together the Quest list that would implement this.

Quote:

3) Other characters from the fellowship could be nicely implemented via summoning scrolls. Make a scroll 'Summon Legolas' then he will follow you. These scrolls should be specific items of course that can be gained at certain points in the quest.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heyyy!! I like this idea. Didn't even think of that. My thought was to have each character represented by different items (Gimli's ax, Gandalf's Staff), but this is much better.