.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   TO&Es (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   SP Mortar Air Burst Munition (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51634)

shahadi June 16th, 2017 02:20 AM

SP Mortar Air Burst Munition

I am searching for a sp mortar unit with "air bursting" shells, about 120mm size, circa 1988 to 1995.

I have yet to find such a weapon in Mobhack, so I reasoned to use CM weapons and found on the Russian OOB a 122mm rocket cm on a BM-21 Grad CM unit.

I retained only the first slot and reduced the ROF to 4. Of course, thereafter I made other changes to make the unit appear as a M106A2.

I am not pleased with the results, but it is the best I have been able to do. Thinking I could simulate the Spanish Mat-120.

Of course if I could get the USA M121 with a proximity fuze in the game then problem solved. However, I think the 155mm VT is the only cousin to what I am seeking.

Any and all suggestions much appreciated.

<br>

scorpio_rocks June 16th, 2017 04:29 AM

Re: SP Mortar Air Burst Munition

I believe the 155mm Variable Timed (or proximity) fused shells are exactly the same in game as the normal 155mm, but with twice the HE kill.

Perhaps just take the standard 120mm mortar and increase its HE kill?

Mobhack June 16th, 2017 08:38 AM

If you want a cluster bomb, then it has to be AP ammo - bomblets (bar some rocket ammo types) is AP in SP.

That does not meant to say the AP has to have any AP effect.

But I think I gave up on using cluster ammo for VT ammo - it may have confused the AI ammo selection routines?. See the 105mm UK VT howitzer (unit #430) and its weapon - which is now a plain HE round, Weapon 234, with I think better HE kill than the regular 105, but lowered AP value. 10 years ago, that one was a "cluster bomb" weapon of some type.

Suhiir June 16th, 2017 01:42 PM

I fooled around with VT ammo too once-upon-a-time and didn't see any noteworthy in-game benefit either.
Cluster munitions with a higher HE Kill and lowered AP Kill seem to work best as Don said.

shahadi June 17th, 2017 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 838749)
I believe the 155mm Variable Timed (or proximity) fused shells are exactly the same in game as the normal 155mm, but with twice the HE kill.

Perhaps just take the standard 120mm mortar and increase its HE kill?

I have an aversion to modifying a weapon that would require the user to download an OOB to play the scenario.
<br>
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 838754)
If you want a cluster bomb, then it has to be AP ammo - bomblets (bar some rocket ammo types) is AP in SP.

That does not meant to say the AP has to have any AP effect.

But I think I gave up on using cluster ammo for VT ammo - it may have confused the AI ammo selection routines?. See the 105mm UK VT howitzer (unit #430) and its weapon - which is now a plain HE round, Weapon 234, with I think better HE kill than the regular 105, but lowered AP value. 10 years ago, that one was a "cluster bomb" weapon of some type.

Okay. I will give it a go, the 105mm UK VT Howitzer.

<br>