.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Question Regarding Scenhack Program (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51181)

David April 21st, 2016 01:09 PM

Question Regarding Scenhack Program

I am having a problem running this program. When I hit the tab to enter the program I immediately get an error message regarding the inability to initiate a database engine (I am not presently at my computer so I am unable to quote the error message precisely).

I get the same message when I select the "sort" command.

I apologize for the incompleteness of this post, but has anyone else seen an error message when entering this program?

Thanks,
David

Mobhack April 21st, 2016 01:34 PM

Re: Question Regarding Scenhack Program

Did you press the "create tables" button - otherwise you dont have any database to query as yet. If you have the full game, you will need to create tables on the SQL tab as well as the sort tab - each has its own data table.

And also remember to recreate the tables after any work done on scenarios - the tables are a snapshot, they do not dynamically update if you edit things.

There is a message box letting you know that functionality is limited, if you have the Free Demo version of the game.

David April 21st, 2016 01:59 PM

Mobhack,

Thanks for your reply.

As soon as I select any command in the program I get the error message
(not sure about this, but if my memory is correct the error number is $1208...or something like that).

The "create table" button does not work...same error message.

SQL tab also generates the same error message.

I do have the full CD version, and everything else works fine.

As I mentioned, the error message indicates that there is a problem initiating a database engine (bordline or bordlan....something like that).

Again, sorry I am not at my home computer to be more specific.

Mobhack April 21st, 2016 02:21 PM

Borland Database Engine

It should be built-in since it is the major element of the Borland Builder C++ compiler..

However it may require a DLL?

Will need investigating further it appears!

David April 21st, 2016 02:32 PM

Mobhack,

There is indeed a DLL file in the Scenhack folder (I think it is Borland.dll). Perhaps this file is not working properly in my download?

DRG April 21st, 2016 02:55 PM

Anyone else tried scenhack sort yet ??

DRG April 21st, 2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 833782)
Mobhack,

There is indeed a DLL file in the Scenhack folder (I think it is Borland.dll). Perhaps this file is not working properly in my download?

Question........did you try running Scenhack from game options ?? I just tried it from my test patch folder and it took a little while longer to load than normal the first time because it was reading the scenario data and creating the tables for sorting. The second time I tried it loaded right up and everything sorted as per design. It is a hugely helpful program for the 99.999% who have not commited all the scenario data to memory

That said we need to know if anyone else has tried this and has the same trouble

Don

David April 21st, 2016 03:12 PM

I have only tried running it from the "Utilities" option.

Mobhack April 21st, 2016 03:23 PM

Problem is, both Don and I have the full Borland development environment installed, which has all the Dll's too.

I am installing a bare W98 virtual machine (no borland products) and hopefully will be able to narrow down any extra DLL's involved.

Once that's done we will fix this.

DRG April 21st, 2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 833785)

Yes, that's what I am referring to....the utilities tab in Game Options but I really need to know if anyone else has this problem as well. If it's common then we have to figure out what .DLL we have that everyone else doesn't

Don

scorpio_rocks April 21st, 2016 04:53 PM

Sorry guys looks like it is an issue:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...pshtratarc.jpg

Pressing OK on error gets you into scenhack but any further buttons regarding sql or sort gives same error. :(

Mobhack April 21st, 2016 04:59 PM

Working on it - seems to be an issue of missing DLLs for the Borland Database Engine

Steves308 April 21st, 2016 11:12 PM

I get the exact same result that Scorpio Rocks is getting, from both SPWW2 and SPMBT. Scenhack works, but not the Sort/SQL buttons, keeping getting the Initialization error.

Everything else looks like it works with the "b" patches.

Steves308

DRG April 22nd, 2016 08:07 AM

We are working on isolating the DLL's that might be missing. Neither of us even considered that we would have these things on our HD working quietly in the background that no one else would have because for both of us the program ran great right from the start....... but hindsight is 20/20 and we both missed the obvious fact that the sorting behaviour we were now asking scenhack to do was above and beyond anything else scenahck already did so it was accessing additional DLL's

Once we think we have these isolated we'll post them for "playtesting" for one of you who has had it fail.

Don

David April 22nd, 2016 08:22 AM

Thanks for working on this. It seems that this program will be a very useful organizational tool.

David

DRG April 22nd, 2016 09:13 AM

This one blindsided us and the problem now is the folder that these DLL's would normally reside it for a 64 bit OS are different than the 32 bit OS so its not just a simple matter of saying " extract these to your main game folder" ( or maybe it can be that's why this is taking so long while we test )

Mobhack April 22nd, 2016 10:15 AM

It is a simple matter of extracting the database engine DLLs to the same folder as the EXE. Once you do that, everything works fine.

Problem is there are 35 of the little darlings, some may be unnecessary. or all 35 are all entwined incestuously in a cats cradle tangle of interdependencies. I am trying deleting one at a time and seeing if things fall over, but right now it seems like you need all of them, or at least most of the blighters.

I'm just now going through the 35 DLLs deleting one at a time to see if things still work. It'll take a day or two to figure all that out.

Andy

DRG April 22nd, 2016 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is an "interim solution" to this problem .

Extract this to your main game folder......the same one your winSPWW2.exe or winSPMBT.exe is in then run ScenHack and the sort program....remember it takes a minute or so for it to create the tables first time around

Thanks

Don

scorpio_rocks April 22nd, 2016 02:33 PM

Seems to work fine! Thank you - this is a really neat feature. :D

(Tested on MBT only currently)

DRG April 22nd, 2016 03:31 PM

So far.....so good then...........

DRG April 22nd, 2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 833822)
Seems to work fine! Thank you - this is a really neat feature. :D

(Tested on MBT only currently)

If you are trying to find scenarios from a specific time period or opponents this will find them for you......and if all you want to do is play a short game.....this will find and list them all in order so conversely if you want a big involved game it will find those for you as well.

Someone asked a year of two back what Market- Garden scenario were in SPWW2..... just look at September 1944 to find them now

Want to find all the scenarios involving the VC ?..... no problem

Don

zastava128 April 22nd, 2016 03:50 PM

I've also had the same problem on two different computers, both with Windows 7.

The "interim solution" fixed the problem for both games.

MarkSheppard April 22nd, 2016 04:24 PM

Windows 10, initial patches for MBT and WW2 gives me: Error while attempting to initalize Borland Database Engine (error $2108)

MarkSheppard April 22nd, 2016 04:28 PM

Downloaded BDE that was posted in Page 1, unzipped it to MBT folder; ScenHack appears to work now.

David April 22nd, 2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 833820)
Attached is an "interim solution" to this problem and right now we would like a couple of people to try this to make sure we are on the right path. Extract this to your main game folder......the same one your winSPWW2.exe or winSPMBT.exe is in then try running ScenHack and the sort program....remember it takes a minute or so for it to create the tables first time around

I need reports from anyone who tries this please

Thanks

Don

Downloaded the BDE file and it worked. Any idea of how many of the .DLL files in the download are needed?

Thanks for this fix!

Steves308 April 23rd, 2016 05:37 PM

Also downloaded the BDE and installed it for both WW2 and MBT, Scenhack now works for both.

Pats April 30th, 2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 833788)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 833785)

Yes, that's what I am referring to....the utilities tab in Game Options but I really need to know if anyone else has this problem as well. If it's common then we have to figure out what .DLL we have that everyone else doesn't

Don

Same here, in both games.
Also if I start it from the installation folder

DRG April 30th, 2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pats (Post 833974)

Same here, in both games.
Also if I start it from the installation folder

Did you DL the files I posted ??

chamoxil May 8th, 2016 06:45 PM

I have the CD version of WinSPWW2 and have been using the new Scenhack sort function (which I love) to find short scenarios, but there's a functionality that seems missing.

Is there a way to sort the scenarios based on the number of units per side? I like the smaller sized scenarios because it's easier to keep track of all my units and to finish a scenario in a reasonable amount of time.

If not, could you consider implementing such a sort value in a future update?

DRG May 8th, 2016 07:30 PM

Assume if it's a short scenario in turn length it's not going to have a lot of units for you to deal with

Don