.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Mines (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52082)

Kiwikkiwik October 12th, 2018 06:01 AM

Mines

Hello

I notice that dismounting from a vehicle or landing barge and I suspect also from a glider does not trigger mines.
To test this I put 100 or so points of mines into a hex and dismounted into it many times, no explosion.
I also noticed that putting 100 points of mines into a hex has a similar effect to putting one point of mines into a hex, so maybe this could be a little clearer in the help files, maybe point out at what number of mines it is pointless adding more to a hex or something like that?

DRG October 12th, 2018 07:55 AM

Re: Mines

Becasue adding more is NOT " pointless " as the more mines in a hex gives a higher chance of triggering one when you ENTER the hex. Dismounting from a vehicle that is already in the mine hex will rarely trigger a mine but entering a hex with mines will give a higher chance and the higher the number of mine points in a hex not only makes the chance of triggering one higher but it takes longer to clear them

Imp October 12th, 2018 08:55 AM

Not to mention you now have to clear them or risk setting off if you exit the hex.

Kiwikkiwik October 15th, 2018 06:29 AM

So I rerun the tests with a bigger sample set, I dismounted 50 times into 50 hexes, each with 50 mines. Not a single explosion. If you walk into the same hexs from next hex then usually an explosion.
So I think it is safe to conclude that dismounting wether from a truck, glider or landing craft doesn't trigger mines.
Don't forget in a 3 minute turn you are not just jumping out, you will be spreading out as well.

Mobhack October 15th, 2018 08:34 AM

Triggering mines is by movement into or out of the hex. Dismounting in a hex is not "movement" as it uses a different routine. Dismounts aren't entering the hex, by the game rules.

Maybe that needs to be changed - but that is how the code has been for 20 odds years, with no complaints till now with no complaints from end users - probably because the carrying vehicle will test for mines by itself when it goes into the mine hex.

Imp October 15th, 2018 08:46 PM

Unless it’s an easy fix works fine as it is, unloading and finding your in a minefield is a headache of its own.
Just assume driver suspected something so got troops to dismount or simply they dismounted to realise the situation.

DRG October 15th, 2018 10:01 PM

That works for me as well

Kiwikkiwik October 24th, 2018 04:24 AM

OK so thanks for that clarification, so maybe not a big deal for a truck, but it is for landing craft. You can dismount from a landing craft into a beach hex full of mines and none will explode, It sort of makes mining the first row of hexes of a beach a waste of time. This is because the landing force can simply dismount infantry out of the landing craft into the minefield of any density and not only will they land with no casualties they will then quickly remove all the mines without taking any casualties as well. For landing craft even though it is a dismount it is into the hex in front of the Landing craft, Qualifying as moving into the hex but still doesn't trigger mines.