.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   RFC: Dom2Minions.com (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=37712)

Gandalf Parker February 17th, 2008 01:35 PM

RFC: Dom2Minions.com

The renewal notices are coming around again and it looks as if Dom2Minions.com is just getting robot hits anymore. So Request For Comment on the subject of shutting her down.

Some comments of my own......

A) since its on my own server it doesnt really cost me anything to keep it going except for yearly renewal of domain name.

B) I could just turn off the auto-generation of daily new maps which would free up abit of cron processing for me

C) It does have an old internet presence which could be used for the traffic and search-engine placement it has

Gandalf Parker

Ballbarian February 17th, 2008 02:51 PM

Re: RFC: Dom2Minions.com

Probably shut down the map generation and put a simple redirect to dom3minions? I would really hate to see your old content from the site vanish into the void, but if all you are getting is robot hits it sure makes it hard to justify the expense regardless of how small it might be.

Gandalf Parker February 18th, 2008 01:45 PM

I dont know if its even worth that. Ive kindof wandered away from Dominions due to "lack of payment". I just couldnt stay motivated. Seems I got more flack than thankyous.

I see you are kicking up your use of my system? Im glad. Between you and lch and sometimes some of the others on the system at least there is still some Dom3 use going on.

Endoperez February 19th, 2008 03:42 PM

Nice to see you again, Gandalf.

It's a pity, but I understand how you feel. I sometimes feel a bit disconnected myself, because I don't play as much as I used to and I never played that much any way. It seems that while new people still come in, the game has less to give to those who've been around for longer. There aren't enough of those who are still interested, but would like to spice the game up a bit.

Any way, I liked your tone. I've been quoting your messages about the dangers this game poses to students, and there have been lots of threads about the price of the game. I remember you used to answer those; it's other people now.

I'm not sure what I should write, but it seems fitting that I'm writing it to the old Dominions II forum. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Gandalf Parker February 20th, 2008 12:07 PM

Its not the game. Im still interested in that. But Ive always liked it more in solo play or the quirks that I could add to it. Its the support forums that I lost interest in.

I got tired of the fanboy remarks in the forum. And getting crap about stop-talking-and-do-it then when someone does go with my idea they dont credit that it was my idea first. I know those were only some people but it seemed like most of the posts. One by one I dropped the things I was doing and no one seemed to notice so I just didnt bother kicking them up again.

Like I often said, if people complain about why there are no more free things then they should wonder if they bothered to "pay" for the ones they had with simple please and thankyou recognition. I dont think Im the only one either.

People need to realize that they mold the community by the discussions they allow. The feel of the forums is in their control.

Sorry for the rant.

Endoperez February 21st, 2008 06:27 AM

The only larger mod project I started didn't seem to gather people's interest, and I lost interest as well. I think the community in here is a bit too small or a bit too quiet for getting a good discussion going, if it isn't about something everyone knows or would like to know about, such as strategies for or against a spesific nation.

Edi February 23rd, 2008 11:45 AM

Gandalf, I hope I have not inadvertently been guilty of stealing your ideas without giving due credit. IF that has happened anywhere at any time, I apologize. I do know I've used your lines about doing something and saying thank you when I've gotten on the soapbox, but it's never been aimed at you when I've said such things. You've done a damn lot down the years.

So, if you do shut down Dom2Minions, I thank you for providing that resource and I will be sad to see it go.

lch June 14th, 2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Gandalf Parker said:
The renewal notices are coming around again and it looks as if Dom2Minions.com is just getting robot hits anymore. So Request For Comment on the subject of shutting her down.

As far as I am aware, the Shrapnel forums for Dom2 are dead. While there might still be people playing Dom2, I don't think that it's really feasible to keep the domain up and pay for it year after year. You should pick one non-commital domain name only and then create subdomains for whatever you want to host, like dominions2.???.com, dominions3.???.com etc.