.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   question (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51610)

DRG May 24th, 2017 01:55 PM

question

Do you think it would be worthwhile information to have while building a scenario .... the actual number of combat troops on each side?

XXX points vs ZZZ points is the traditional method but it doesn't reflect how may actual rifles each side has and in a battle where one side is mech infantry hvy the points can add up fast for those transports and what you think may be 3:1 odds isn't the case when the other side is all on foot and I feel it would be useful to know at a glance how many infantry UC types you have on both sides along with the exact number of armoured vehicles, tubes of arty etc

Thoughts?

Suhiir May 24th, 2017 03:09 PM

Re: question

It might occasionally be handy but unit costs vary so much based on factors that are rarely terribly relevant to a scenario (radio % and vision in particular) or the quality of units (M1A1 vs T-55) weapon/armor ratios are basically meaningless.

IMHO

DRG May 24th, 2017 03:50 PM

but if you are trying to set up a scenario where troop strength...actual PBI with boots on the ground is balanced, the only way to check that right now is pen and paper and a lot of unit counting

scorpio_rocks May 24th, 2017 03:58 PM

Yes. Any and all info possible can never hurt.

Oche May 24th, 2017 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 838520)
Yes. Any and all info possible can never hurt.

Seconded.

Steves308 May 26th, 2017 01:50 PM

I would say it would be very useful. I find myself building and playing around more with foot infantry type units on smaller maps, but there can still be big point differences between countries, so a head count would help.

Steves308

shahadi May 26th, 2017 07:06 PM

I would find that information useful. As well as force values on each side. On second thought, actual boots maybe too much intel to give up, if I understand the question. And, would that number include crews are no?

Thinking about this some more, the designer could insert each side's force values in the scenario text. Not as eloquent as getting it from the game, but it could work (for now).

<Br>

DRG May 26th, 2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahadi (Post 838545)
I would find that information useful. As well as force values on each side. On second thought, actual boots maybe too much intel to give up, if I understand the question. And, would that number include crews are no?
<Br>

No, just combat troops

shahadi May 27th, 2017 02:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 838547)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shahadi (Post 838545)
<Br>

No, just combat troops

Thanks.

Interesting. So, in the Editor this information would be made available to the designer, right?

I was thinking it would be neat to add this kind of information in the game play itself. When a player selects Scenario Info, he or she would be presented with scen slot number, scen title, force values each side, along with the existing information already in the Scenario Info window.
<br>

DRG May 27th, 2017 08:38 AM

ATM I'm just considering the idea for scenario design work but it could be expanded, one step at a time, we have to get the basics first. MY PRIMARY purpose is to give the designer the combat troops strength....that's the hardest one to figure out on anything but a small scenario. Counting tanks is easy in comparison but *IF* we do go ahead with this we will consider what else would be worthwhile