.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Wishlist: Hue city 1967-68 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51151)

RecruitMonty March 25th, 2016 03:05 PM

Hue city 1967-68

Dear community map makers,

Has anyone here ever tackled a Hue city map or does anyone here know of one in existence?

If not, then are there any good research materials - detailed US Army maps, photographs from the air of the city perhaps? What I've found so far does not really pass muster.

Regards,

Monty

Suhiir March 25th, 2016 05:28 PM

Re: Hue city 1967-68

To my knowledge no WinSPMBT maps for the area exist and map making isn't my forte.

It would be interesting to try a really long scenario that covers the initial NVA/VC attack followed by the counterattack.

https://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/...ile-losing-war

RecruitMonty March 29th, 2016 02:59 PM

I am taking / took a stab at it. To scale (1 hex is 50metres) things just don't end up looking all that pretty. You just can't fit in all the buildings or side streets. I may take a stab at one (probably more than one) map that is not to scale. It is a big project!

If anyone wants to take a look at what I've done so far then let me know. If anyone here is better at making maps than I am and they fancy a go at what I've made they are more than welcome to!

shahadi March 30th, 2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecruitMonty (Post 833393)
I am taking / took a stab at it. To scale (1 hex is 50metres) things just don't end up looking all that pretty. You just can't fit in all the buildings or side streets. I may take a stab at one (probably more than one) map that is not to scale. It is a big project!

If anyone wants to take a look at what I've done so far then let me know. If anyone here is better at making maps than I am and they fancy a go at what I've made they are more than welcome to!

Consider, a company sized scenario, advancing against a neighborhood.

RecruitMonty April 2nd, 2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahadi (Post 833408)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RecruitMonty (Post 833393)

Consider, a company sized scenario, advancing against a neighborhood.

That works too. I'm almost 3/4 of the way through my big map. I've been working on it the last five days.

Suhiir April 3rd, 2016 04:00 AM

While a company sized scenario in a neighborhood would make sense from the point of view on 50m wide roads (one hex) and the buildings in the map set, for the most part there's isn't really a lot of variety in the map icons. You have basically European and Arabic choices. No French influenced Indochinese :) That being the case a neighborhood map would be pretty generic.

RecruitMonty April 3rd, 2016 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is!

A map of the citadel and surrounding environs (on all sides) on the biggest scale allowed by the map editor.

It took a lot of work and many days but it is done. I hope it comes in handy.

I'd say it is fairly accurate.

Not all the trees are in place and a couple of streams are missing here and there - no reference material I had was reliable enough - and some of the buildings are an odd shape but this is as good as it is going to get in SPMBT at present.

Anyone else fancies a go at editing this monster can have a go. Feel free.

Screenshots welcome!

Suhiir April 3rd, 2016 10:46 PM

Just took a look at the map, all I can say is ...
WOW
Very nice work!

When I get the time I'll work on a scenario to make use of it.

RecruitMonty April 4th, 2016 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks!

Here is a revised version with extra text in the southern part of town (Uni now shown) as well as adjustments to MACV compound.

Feel free to make cosmetic improvements to the map - add in some more nice little details - if you would like.

If you want to add map text you'll have to delete some hamlet labels but I don't think that will be too much of a problem as they do not all need to be named. I just got a little carried away. Some of the detail to the south of the railway line is a bit off as my better maps did not go that far south.

I don't know all that much about the course of the battle but I have a general idea about what happened. I'm doing some reading now.

I do know that Airmobile elements came in from the West to prevent a break out and interdict reinforcement (I think we'd need another map for that part of the battle though and to be honest I'm a little worn out after that last effort).

I wish you the best of luck designing a scenario/scenarios!

DRG April 4th, 2016 09:21 AM

Lovely map. I've added it to the upgrade files as #355