.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Question: Spotting (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51742)

Warnevada October 30th, 2017 03:04 PM

Spotting

Besides size what controls whether a unit is spotted or not?

The reason I ask is, I hit the following situation. There were three size 1 rifle units in a hex. One was visible the other two were not. All three were firing from the hex and it took several rounds of firing before the other two became visible. So why was the one visible at the start of the turn but the other two were not?

Related question: size 0 scout units behave differently in different battles. In many (most?) if they move adjacent to an enemy unit they get spotted and fired at. In some they are able to move adjacent and not be spotted. In the current battle, they not only can move adjacent but can fire for several rounds without being spotted. What makes for the different behavior?

DRG October 30th, 2017 03:33 PM

Re: Spotting

experience and morale for both sides as well as suppression level ( for both sides ) can effect spotting then toss in the random number variables the game uses for everything plus unit facing and you get what you saw

Mobhack October 30th, 2017 05:27 PM

Why did one take a while - its called random numbers. That units dice did not come up in your favour for a while it neighbour rolled unluckily.

Spotting, like hitting and rallying has a chance factor.

Warnevada October 31st, 2017 04:03 PM

Let me see if I understand what you're saying.

In the case of the three units in the hex, you're saying the two unspotted units would have higher experience and/or morale than the spotted one. Spotting unit status is immaterial since they're the same for all three. It strikes me as a bit odd that morale would affect spotting.

When a unit fires the game checks to see if it's spotted. Does the probability increase with each subsequent shot? If so, by how much? That is, is it twice as likely on the second shot, three times as likely on the third?

Mobhack October 31st, 2017 04:27 PM

The 2 unspotted units were luckier that the spotted one. Or your spotter was lucky on the one spotted if looking at it that way.

You dont need to know the mechanics - that sort of detail is not and will not be published - but it is safe to say that the more often you fire, the greater the chance of being spotted.

BTW: Morale does affect spotting, on a 2-way range. The unit with higher morale rating is more likely not to be suppressed by return fires. Units with higher suppression spot less effectively. Shots that do not hit, but do miss by close enough on soft targets, can cause morale tests.

Griefbringer November 2nd, 2017 06:09 AM

My understanding is that also movement affects the chance of spotting - the faster a unit moves, the easier it is for other units to spot it (and the harder it is for that unit to spot others).

scorpio_rocks November 2nd, 2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griefbringer (Post 840137)
My understanding is that also movement affects the chance of spotting - the faster a unit moves, the easier it is for other units to spot it (and the harder it is for that unit to spot others).

Yes, that is correct.

Mobhack November 2nd, 2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griefbringer (Post 840137)

Yes - yours (-) and his(+). As do a multitude of other things - i.e. dug in targets are smaller, size of weapon type of weapon firing, use of night fighting gear (TI is good for seeing things) etc.

Also what sort of cover the target is in, are you higher than him, how far away are you etc.