.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Rage Collective Version 1.0 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=2429)

Alpha Kodiak March 18th, 2001 08:00 AM

The Rage Collective Version 1.0

I have posted my new race in the Mod forum. It is the "Rage Collective", a highly aggressive race of war machines that will hopefully give you a good run for your money.

They are intended to come across as a mix of Berserkers and the Borg with a bad attitude. So far, they have done quite well against other AI races, and should pose a bit of a challenge to a human.

For extra entertainment, try proposing trades and making demands of them. Their responses can be... interesting.

Please check them out and let me know what you think.

jc173 March 18th, 2001 08:57 AM

Re: The Rage Collective Version 1.0

Berserkers like the old AI warships in that series of books by Fred Saberhagen?

Q March 18th, 2001 11:03 AM

Very very nice!
The Rage have a good sense of humour in their speech and from a short game with maximum technology I got the impression that they do quite well.
Good work and thank you very much!

Alpha Kodiak March 18th, 2001 05:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Q:
Very very nice!
The Rage have a good sense of humour in their speech and from a short game with maximum technology I got the impression that they do quite well.
Good work and thank you very much!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, thank you. Please let me know how they perform in the long term.

Gee, this is almost like watching your child grow up and go out into the real world. You can't wait to see how he does out there on his own!

Q March 18th, 2001 07:12 PM

I understand your feelings Alpha.
After about 5 years of game the Rage still do well. Just one weakness I found until now: You gave them two designs for attack ships, one of them with a maximum size of a destroyer. In the later game or as in my case with full technology these destroyers are to weak compared to larger ships. Because of the limited space they do e.g. not have a combat sensor. I understand that you wanted large fleets of small ships, but destroyers are to small.
At the moment they are at war with almost every other empire but especially they are in a fierce combat with the Earth Alliance. They destroyed several of their colonies, however the Earth Alliance took revenge and burned some of the Rage planets.
The speech of the Rage is really great. I had quite a few laughs.

Alpha Kodiak March 18th, 2001 09:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Q:
I understand your feelings Alpha.
After about 5 years of game the Rage still do well. Just one weakness I found until now: You gave them two designs for attack ships, one of them with a maximum size of a destroyer. In the later game or as in my case with full technology these destroyers are to weak compared to larger ships. Because of the limited space they do e.g. not have a combat sensor. I understand that you wanted large fleets of small ships, but destroyers are to small.
At the moment they are at war with almost every other empire but especially they are in a fierce combat with the Earth Alliance. They destroyed several of their colonies, however the Earth Alliance took revenge and burned some of the Rage planets.
The speech of the Rage is really great. I had quite a few laughs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bit with the destroyers is an unexpected side effect. My actual desire was to get a small change in design philosophy when the size went from destroyer to light cruiser. I didn't realize that it would continue to build the destroyer size ships. Oops!

Once they have been out a little longer I will put out a fix. This is just like any other software development process. As soon as I get it out the door, its time for a patch! http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/ima...ons/icon12.gif

Emperor Zodd March 19th, 2001 12:37 AM

Shouldn't a machine race be emotionless and be free from plagues?

Alpha Kodiak March 19th, 2001 01:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emperor Zodd:
Shouldn't a machine race be emotionless and be free from plagues?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there is a pseudo-science reason they are not and a real reason they are not.

The pseudo-science reason for the emotions is listed in the race description: their processing systems are organic, so over time they developed emotions (or, you could think of Data's emotion chip from Star Trek being taken a step too far), and I suppose that you could say that the organic nature of the processors also leaves them vulnerable to plagues.

The real reason is that I wanted this race to be as competitive as possible. My concept for doing this was a race with propulsion expert and advanced storage characteristics. That didn't leave me with racial points for emotionless. Besides, the speech file would have been far less fun if they had no emotions. The real reason I chose to make them machines was that I could only figure out how to make a race portrait that looked pretty much like the ships, which made them pretty much machines themselves. Of course, once I made the decision to make them machines, the Berserker reference came to mind and I just had to magnify their aggressiveness.

Buy into the pseudo-science, and I think you will find this an interesting race to play against.

Alpha Kodiak March 19th, 2001 02:24 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jc173:
Berserkers like the old AI warships in that series of books by Fred Saberhagen?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, purely from an attitude standpoint. The philosophy of this race is pretty much, "If it is alive, it shouldn't be."

Jason2 March 19th, 2001 06:13 PM

So far I have enjoyed this race as a worthy addition to the modpack... the only issue I really noticed has already been addressed (the destroyers being too weak for a long game)... but as a first time offering - good job http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ubb/images/icons/icon7.gif

Jason2