.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Wishlist: Improved Arena (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41924)

Dectilon January 11th, 2009 12:44 PM

Improved Arena

As it is now there's rarely good reason to fight in the arena, is there? I think the concept of the arena would be way more interesting if different things were offered to the winner each time.

Examples would be a bounty of gold or gems, or some unique magic item that could only be won there (obviously the prices would be weighed against how many turns into the game you were).

Perhaps the awards could even be based on odds? For example if an indy commander were to defeat some Ashdod commander the reward would be greater than vice versa.

Aezeal January 11th, 2009 12:57 PM

Re: Improved Arena

Try The mark of the Champion mod.. it's very nice and while not exactly what you say it will make the arena worthwile.

Gandalf Parker January 11th, 2009 02:49 PM

Im not sure if Arena would ever be worthwhile for MP.
It seems more of an RP solo playing thing.

MaxWilson January 11th, 2009 03:50 PM

My favorite thing to send in is a D4 commander set to Raise skeleton x2, Drain Life x3. Against what the AI sends in he pretty much only loses to someone spamming Frozen Heart.

-Max

Redeyes January 11th, 2009 03:53 PM

The big problem now is that the Arena sees less use than it should (my opinion).

A quick analysis of the arena shows that the risk of participating usually outweighs the reward.
One problem is that the reward really isn't that great nor useful for every participant.
Another that your commander will likely end up dead.

That's why I suggest that the arena be made strictly non-fatal. If the only cost is that one of your commander can do nothing else for a turn the Arena would probably see a near 100% nation participation rate whenever it occurs. A massive improvement from people avoiding it.

Furthermore you could involve giving bonus experience for every fight won, to alleviate "the winner takes it all" syndrome. Which would be a bit silly in the massive mega games around today.

Aezeal January 11th, 2009 04:26 PM

just try the friggin mod, that reward is worth quite a lot to improve your character and while you'll probably still better not send your god it can certainly be worth it to send a decently kitted thug.

Dectilon January 11th, 2009 04:48 PM

A mod is good and fine, but it just seems like something that should be part of the vanilla game. It would be sort of like mercenaries. In no way gamebreaking, but something that might give you just the right boost you need to get over the hump :)

Gandalf Parker January 11th, 2009 05:15 PM

Everything has its pros and cons.
I think that if Arenas were made non-death then it might also be a good idea to say that no pretenders can be sent to the arena. Otherwise you just have the thug gods winning every time.

Aezeal January 11th, 2009 05:56 PM

yeah but then the first 50 turn the thuggish nations would win most.. it's nice as it is, non lethal isn't that "realistic" since nations are at war anyway.

Sombre January 11th, 2009 06:30 PM

I think the mod does a lot to sort it out. To the point where I don't mind it and sometimes send something.