.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   My Philosophy on Strategy Guides (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41942)

Gandalf Parker January 13th, 2009 08:43 PM

Re: My Philosophy on Strategy Guides

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sombre (Post 666573)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeyes (Post 666460)
It feels as if you like a Socratic kind of guide, where the "teacher" has a dialog with the student so he can find his own way of approaching the problem.

No Gandalf prefers a Schizophrenic kind of guide, where the poster has a dialogue with himself.

You might be thinking of AAR.
I do often suggest an AAR which can be book-published in a form where the left pages are the game in story form, and the right pages are the actual game actions.

Im not sure how a schizo guide would be done. Something like
"How to play Abyssia vs Jotunheim and How to play Jotunheim vs Abyssia" in the same Guide? That might be interesting. A comparison of how to use the heat aura and cold aura effectively, the different summons that work best with each, formations, support spells, etc.

archaeolept January 13th, 2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It feels as if you like a Socratic kind of guide, where the "teacher" has a dialog with the student so he can find his own way of approaching the problem.

No Gandalf prefers a Schizophrenic kind of guide, where the poster has a dialogue with himself.

Sombre, I'm ashamed of you.

Multiple Personality Disorder is a serious illness, as demonstrated in the classic "Seven Faces of Ga^H^H^HEVE", and certified in the DMS-IV. A complete list of DSM-IV codes can be found here, courtesy of the renowned Dr. Jim Morrison...wait, whut... uh oh... walls of reality breaking down... What lies beyond the veil?!!... such a shape, unimagined by man... like endless strings who's roots and strands give birth to themselves, a vast cthonic sport... the horror, the horror...

*grrrrk* *erwwww* YOGSO/****bzzzzzt IO IO [static] [pan pipes?]

/end transmission

JimMorrison January 13th, 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker (Post 666776)
Quote:

Quote:

You might be thinking of AAR.
I do often suggest an AAR which can be book-published in a form where the left pages are the game in story form, and the right pages are the actual game actions.

Im not sure how a schizo guide would be done. Something like
"How to play Abyssia vs Jotunheim and How to play Jotunheim vs Abyssia" in the same Guide? That might be interesting. A comparison of how to use the heat aura and cold aura effectively, the different summons that work best with each, formations, support spells, etc.

And/or some sort of theoretical chess-crafting. Essentially going step by step with strategy > counter, in a fictional confrontation between 2 nations/builds. Would be a good way to highlight some niche tactics that people are less aware of, and to show things that people wouldn't necessarily post as a focal point of a strategy, but that become apparent as the best course of action during the play of the game.

Tifone January 14th, 2009 04:38 AM

Best spot eva archaeo :shock: