.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Who's Left? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46149)

Atrocities August 25th, 2010 11:21 PM

Who's Left?

Any one still playing SE IV?

Gandalf Parker August 25th, 2010 11:41 PM

Re: Who's Left?

SEIV, Dom3, and Stars are still on my desktop for when I need to distract myself mindlessly for awhile. I can always count on those 3 to give me a game that can fill a few hours

Azselendor August 26th, 2010 01:51 AM

Every now and then I let SE3 or 4 have a weekend.

dumbluck August 29th, 2010 10:35 PM

I most definitely still play!

Xrati August 30th, 2010 10:24 AM

Not in a couple of years! :(

Caduceus August 31st, 2010 05:30 PM

I reinstalled SE IV and V on my Vista machine and haven't played more than twenty minutes!

Annette August 31st, 2010 07:07 PM

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see you all still come back now and then! So, are you guys ready for something new?
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=230

Gandalf Parker August 31st, 2010 08:03 PM

Oh good. I can tell people about it now.
Looking forward to updates.
(did you see my note in beta that I have to withdraw my beta status due to medical?)

Annette August 31st, 2010 08:26 PM

No, but I sent you an email...

Kamog September 1st, 2010 10:06 PM

I played SEIV a few months ago. I think it's been about a year since I played SEV.

PsychoTechFreak September 6th, 2010 02:14 AM

Just started a new one on traveller's stick a couple of days ago. On business trip til end of this year.

Makinus September 6th, 2010 06:53 PM

I´m also playing SEIV in my flash drive, it´s handy for when you have a half an hour and a nearby computer (mostly my Aspire One netbook)... i still play a lot, but recently i´m not playing strategically as much as trying different ways to play the game...

I like to turn on all the ministers on the empire except for a "mercenary fleet" i command personally... i even modded some "civilian" components that can be used only in hulls 1 level lower than the most current that make the ships cheaper to maintain.

Atrocities September 10th, 2010 04:17 AM

Myself and a couple of others are still working on component images and at least three mods for SE IV. Just not a lot of interest as real life keeps getting in the way.

Good to see Aaron back here where he belongs. I wish I could have gotten in on the beta for his new game too. I look forward to ordering it when it comes out. I finally get to buy something from Shrapnel Games again. :D

gregebowman September 13th, 2010 05:24 PM

I play occassionally, which is one or two times in a month's time. I'm usually trying to download music for my mp3 player to play the game consistently.

Ironmanbc September 19th, 2010 10:36 PM

i'm playing with Crimson Concept Mod version 8.0 and it's cool

dumbluck September 19th, 2010 11:32 PM

I still play fairly regularly, both on PBW and PBC. I play CarrierBattles mod almost exclusively.

gregebowman September 25th, 2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironmanbc (Post 758669)
i'm playing with Crimson Concept Mod version 8.0 and it's cool

That's the current game I'm playing, and you're right. It is cool. A bit different than the Balance Mod, which is the main one I play. But I like variety from time to time.

Kevin Arisa November 17th, 2010 01:00 PM

I kinda wander around the various forums every now and then like a ghost. I've tinkered a bit with SE4 and SE5 every so often, but not a lot. I saw what SF did with Space Empires on Facebook and I felt a little cold inside... I don't think Malfador should have ever left Shrapnel Games. :(

JimboTex November 21st, 2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Arisa (Post 763270)
I kinda wander around the various forums every now and then like a ghost. I've tinkered a bit with SE4 and SE5 every so often, but not a lot. I saw what SF did with Space Empires on Facebook and I felt a little cold inside... I don't think Malfador should have ever left Shrapnel Games. :(

Indeed. I was willing to give Strat1st the benefit of the doubt for SE4, Starfury and SE5. Then I tried my hand at the Facebook version...

Captain Kwok November 24th, 2010 12:29 AM

Although interestingly, Aaron has released World Supremacy yesterday at Shrapnel. :P

dumbluck November 24th, 2010 01:42 PM

I'm glad he's come back to a publisher that isn't out to outright screw him.

Black_Knyght November 25th, 2010 01:27 AM

I play SEIV nearly every other day still, and have NO plans to stop any time soon!:):up:

Will November 29th, 2010 01:20 AM

I still lurk every few months. Haven't played any version of SE in years, as I haven't kept a Windows computer around for a long time. Just noticed a few days ago there is a facebook version of SE, which apparently has Aaron's blessing... not sure what I think about that, though.

I do still play Dom3 about every third weekend. I may set up some virtual machines to fire up SE and mods, and try out World Supremacy. Need to be careful to still make time to go outside every once in a while, though :D

Timstone December 7th, 2010 11:22 AM

Still here, but not very active though. I check in every now and then and then. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't played any SE title for over half a year now. :o

dogscoff December 23rd, 2010 08:29 AM

I haven't really played SE since I moved to Linux a few years ago. I still have access to a Windows PC at work, and get an hour's gaming time on it per day, but I've been playing other things on it- mostly old-school, rereleased-on-budget stuff (Age of Empires, Wesnoth, SimCity 3K), so SE4 will probably cycle back around sooner or later. I still have it installed. I also have the beginnings of a new SE4 shipset somewhere that I keep threatening to finish.

Gametime at home (don't get much of that now that I'm a Daddy) is mostly taken up with Oolite, a massively moddable rewrite of Elite.
I sincerely hope I don't have to explain to anybody what Elite is.

I miss the old days, the Cantina, the malfadorica, all the old faces...

Suicide Junkie January 27th, 2011 01:39 AM

Hey, DogScoff.

I recommend, and use myself on the kubuntu netbook:
Virtualbox
+ Seamless mode
+ SE4
+ windowedSE4

Its the best of both worlds, with a windowed SE4 floating among your xterms and stuff, and no worries about stability or graphical glitches.

Siegebreaker February 2nd, 2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atrocities (Post 755431)
Any one still playing SE IV?

I do.
Proportions.

I do mostly because it is the game that gives me the highest level of control, being able to even change the look of any given planet while in game by just switching the planet pic and reloading.

PvK February 9th, 2011 07:08 PM

I have SE IV (not V) installed, but haven't played it at all in a long time. I never got used to this new version of the Shrapnel forum software, and I had a lot of real-world chaos for some time, so I have been mostly absent. Recently I've been playing some Dominions 3 though.

Oh, and ya, my web site has been offline for a long time, so the links to my mods don't work.

EaX June 20th, 2011 05:59 AM

Wow, its been a long time, i havent played SE in a while, RL is annoying :P i should drop by the IRC channel sometime :), for now... sleep, its late here

PvK June 20th, 2011 01:45 PM

I just started playing a Proportions mod game on PBW. Very fun!

dumbluck June 21st, 2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PvK (Post 779198)
I just started playing a Proportions mod game on PBW. Very fun!

See, isn't coming back home great?

sachmo June 28th, 2011 02:42 PM

I'm playing SEV lately, and enjoy it.

MrToxin June 30th, 2011 03:22 AM

I've been fiddling with really bizarre mod concepts off and on but not really playing much. Would making a new SEV mod be a waste of my time? What I've been toying with would take a great deal of time to finish.

Edi July 11th, 2011 01:36 PM

I just bought SEIV Deluxe and SEV on Steam a couple of days ago when they were on sale for a total price of €10. Haven't had time to install them yet, but I do intend to try them out.

Just you wait and I'll be crawling all over this forum asking all kinds of n00b questions once I've slogged through the FAQs...

gregebowman July 16th, 2011 04:45 PM

My problem is that we let our 10 year old think he owns the computer, and he lives in a different city than me (long story, don't ask). So i rarely get the chance to play. I'm still interested in this game, and love playing it when I can. So keep the mods and shipsets coming. I really do love this game.

Gandalf Parker July 17th, 2011 08:05 AM

@Edi
the vanilla game feels to me like a demo. Only 8 races, and such a small uninteresting galaxy.
The version I play with now has almost 300 races and huge galaxies. Be sure to check into all the mods for the game

Edi July 18th, 2011 01:42 AM

Gandalf, I think I have way more than that for races, since doing a quick look at the game gave me at the very least dozens of options. I suppose there is a reason for that "Deluxe" in the game title. Haven't had time to get properly acquainted with the game since I'm satisfying my FPS cravings with Unreal Gold at the moment.

Baron Munchausen July 18th, 2011 01:48 PM

While I do still check these boards every few days, I haven't played SE (any version) in several years. It's just not interesting if it's not developing any further. There was, and is, so much still lacking from the game. Anticipation of further improvement seems to be needed to make it worth playing.

Arkcon July 23rd, 2011 11:27 AM

Hrm ... seems I posted in other threads, but not this one. Funny. Yeah, I keep the Firefox shortcut handy, and I check to see if there's a new post on these boards. But just like the Baron above, I keep hoping (against hope, it seems) that there's going to be some new SEV content from MM.

LennyNero August 7th, 2011 01:01 PM

still playing here also, and cannot find a replacement, other games tend to get me bored me quickly

dmm August 8th, 2011 10:11 PM

I start a new SEIV game every 3 or 4 months, and play for 2 days. No time for more. Oldtimers here might remember me. Where have I been, you ask? If the old threads still exist, you'll see that I threatened to write a book. Well, I'm doing it. Actually it's a several-book story. Haven't decided if it will be 3 or 4. I just finished Books 1 and 2, and have submitted it to my "beta" readers. Currently it is roughly the length of two 400-page Harry Potter books.

Black_Knyght August 18th, 2011 03:24 AM

Not only am I still VERY actively playing at both home and on PBW2, but I am working on a new/updated mod with Bearclaw and Dead Meat. Also did a fair portion of the new component images for Comp Pack update #33.

Makinus August 19th, 2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Knyght (Post 782128)
I am working on a new/updated mod with Bearclaw and Dead Meat

Is it a totally new mod or an update of a existing one? Any idea yet on the features?

gregebowman January 17th, 2012 07:47 PM

I still play my SEV game every once in awhile.

Black_Knyght January 20th, 2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makinus (Post 782183)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Knyght (Post 782128)
I am working on a new/updated mod with Bearclaw and Dead Meat

Is it a totally new mod or an update of a existing one? Any idea yet on the features?

It will be an updated and expended version of the Masters Mod done by Urendi Malendil. Has a ton of potential to it, and hopefully will be a lot of fun to play.

Gandalf Parker January 21st, 2012 10:57 AM

I just got an email from Strategy First offering me a FREE copy of SEIV if I join their free MMORPG
Might be a good way to get friends into the game.

http://secure.campaigner.com/account...00/BP_SEIV.jpg

Doo February 6th, 2012 05:03 PM

I loved SE IV and SEV to a lesser degree.

For me changing the battles to real-time (abet pausable) was the biggest change that rankled. I hear rumors Stardock will be making a 4x space game with tactical battles (based on Elemental: Fallen Enchantress engine I guess), lets hope it will be a MoO2/SEIV fix.

Having said that I just downloaded Kwok's balance mod for SEV and will give it another go this Friday night :)

DeadZone February 9th, 2012 09:35 PM

If I'm honest, I miss the SEIV community mostly
The change of direction for the franchise, moving over too strategy first (who clearly didn't give a damn) and maybe a few other things just seemed to rip the community apart
Then with SEV effectively doa... well, not much more to be said
Just happened to come across some screens of SEIV (which can now be gotten for free at gamersgate) and a big sense of nostalgia come over me, even remember a game me and suicide junkie had 1v1, with me ended up being pinned in the corner of the quandrant due to an unlucky start (took him forever to even persuade me to try PBW lol)
Hanging out on the IRC channel, which I believe no longer exists, I even beta'd SEV (last game I did as well, prior to that I had beta'd 100+ games over the years)

Is a shame the source code for SEIV couldn't be released (I'd imagine that is owned by SFi?)

Gandalf Parker February 9th, 2012 09:56 PM

Yes SciFi retained the rights to the franchise. I suspect it was a buy-out option for the extensive layout of funds involved with that style of publisher (for marketing and packaging costs prior to release)

Now that the game is a free download maybe some cheap-*** advertising such as on Facebook and Google could startup a new gamers community. Or call the others back

Ragnarok-X February 14th, 2012 04:41 PM

Still looking for a good game like SEIV.
Currently playing Star Ruler. Give it a spin.