.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Dominions II In-Game Typos (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=16619)

Edi October 31st, 2003 07:30 AM

Dominions II In-Game Typos

I thought that typos really don't need to be mentioned in the threads that deal with real bugs, so why not gather them here? If the thread is stickied, it'll be easy for IW to check for updates, and they can fix them if they've got the time or inclination.

I will confess here that I'm something of a grammar nazi in the sense that typos annoy me supremely out of proportion to their actual impact (such as the Dom-PPP typo that causes enemy forces to consist mainly of "commander of Ulms" when it should say "commanders of Ulm").

Of course, other than that, lack of typos gives the impression of a more polished product, so fixing them is a good idea in this sense.

I will also add that none of the typos I've seen (haven't yet actually seen the DomII demo, so Dom-PPP is what I'm basing this on here) are big ones, but mainly small, relatively unimportant ones and perfectly understandable given that English is not the native language of the IW people. Some of them (like my example from Dom-PPP) also result from game mechanics, unless every unit gets programmed with both singular and plural forms with checks for when which is used, which just seems like far too much trouble for absolutely no gain.

Anyway, that's for the thread introduction, now start listing them. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Edi

[ March 24, 2004, 04:44: Message edited by: Zen ]

geo981010 October 31st, 2003 08:07 AM

Re: Dominions II In-Game Typos

1) The Diseased affliction description says your troop will "loose" hit points each turn, where it should be "lose"

2) Nature Magic Description says "A Mage of this paths...". Probably should be "A Mage of this path ..." or maybe "A mage of these paths ..."

Calanor October 31st, 2003 08:52 AM

Pythium has access to a hero with the title ehem "hero". While this Hero's actual name seems to be randomly chosen, his desc will begin with "Hierogallus is an old Serpent Lord...". Oops..! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

HJ October 31st, 2003 10:38 AM

From another thread (sorry St. Patrik for putting them there):
- Demon description should say "spells that target undead" instead of "spells that targets undead".
- When scouting provinces, military report says that "the army is composed mainly of hastatus", while for all other units the plural is used. So, princeps (I think this is wrong in the unit description as well, it's called principe or something) - principes, hastatus - hastati, triarius - triarii.

[ October 31, 2003, 08:38: Message edited by: HJ ]

st.patrik October 31st, 2003 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HJ:
From another thread (sorry St. Patrik for putting them there):
- Demon description should say "spells that target undead" instead of "spells that targets undead".
- When scouting provinces, military report says that "the army is composed mainly of hastatus", while for all other units the plural is used. So, princeps (I think this is wrong in the unit description as well, it's called principe or something) - principes, hastatus - hastati, triarius - triarii.

<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">It's all good. It's probably easier for the devs if they're separated out like this.

I'm sure I saw a couple (of typos) - I'll keep my eyes open.

HJ November 1st, 2003 06:03 AM

In the description of the spell "Royal power" with C'tissan Desert tombs theme, it says that "the effect is identical to Unholy Power". I'm guessing that the Unholy Power spell is the Ermorian Version of the C'tissan spell Power of the Grave. Since the unholy spells apparently have different names for C'tis and Ermor, the description should be "the effect is identical to Power of the Grave".

Calanor November 1st, 2003 08:23 AM

I guess you could call the following a "typo":

The info given to the player when you right-click on items in the forge displays the unmodified cost for making that item. Now, if you happen to be a Master Smith or wield a Dwarven Hammer and so forth, the displayed cost won't correspond to the actual cost. That can be somewhat confusing.

Chris Byler November 1st, 2003 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HJ:
In the description of the spell "Royal power" with C'tissan Desert tombs theme, it says that "the effect is identical to Unholy Power". I'm guessing that the Unholy Power spell is the Ermorian Version of the C'tissan spell Power of the Grave. Since the unholy spells apparently have different names for C'tis and Ermor, the description should be "the effect is identical to Power of the Grave".
<font size="2" face="sans-serif, arial, verdana">Also, Desert Tombs has two different unholy spells with the same name; one of them has incomplete spell effect description (it doesn't list all the normal stats of range, area of effect, precision and fatigue).

An unrelated typo: the description for female pretenders calls them "a Pretender Godess". That should be "Goddess".

Calanor November 1st, 2003 11:27 PM

Female Pretenders seem to have to frequently put up with being taken for a male. Titles such as "God of the Invincible Power" and "He Who is at the Center" are some examples.

Calanor November 2nd, 2003 05:47 PM

Normally, if a unit has an affliction that affects one of its stats, this is mentioned when you right-click on that stat (e.g. the loss of an eye is mentioned when you right-click on Precision, along with the -3 penalty involved). However, Feeblemind is not mentioned by any of the stats it affects, even though it is considered when the game calculates the current stat levels.

[ November 02, 2003, 15:48: Message edited by: Calanor ]