.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Question: How do you get a PGM armed AC to use its other weapons? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52174)

RetLT February 14th, 2019 11:22 PM

How do you get a PGM armed AC to use its other weapons?

Anyone know how to get a PGM armed aircraft such as an A-10 to use its other weapons and not its PGM?

I was targeting a cluster of lightly armed APCs and wanted to use the cluster bombs and 500lb bombs instead of a single Maverick PGM.

I tried turning off the PGM and I got a message saying "unable to achieve lock on" and the A-10 did not make an attack at all.

Suhiir February 15th, 2019 12:46 AM

Re: How do you get a PGM armed AC to use its other weapons?

Turn off the Maverick in the bombardment menu.

RetLT February 15th, 2019 04:47 PM

I tried that.

The A-10 still made an attack run but there was a message saying that it could not achieve lock on. It then just flew away without attacking with its other weapons.

scorpio_rocks February 15th, 2019 05:41 PM

Perhaps your A-10 didn't see the target?

I ran a couple of tests and with the Maverick turned off in the bombardment screen, I get the message about no lock on but they still strafe with the 30 and drop bombs.

RetLT February 16th, 2019 12:31 AM

Thanks. Maybe it was just a bad die roll.

Imp February 16th, 2019 05:17 PM

I am not sure how it works but use of weapons other than the cannon is a bit hit and miss from my observations.
Probably has to do with unit class and weapons though in your case ihe had his eyes closed, received no target lock and somehow missed the targets of opportunity to.
Pilot makes a judgment call I guess on whether it’s worth using his payload, versus infantry he may not if armour orientated.
If it had seen higher value armour in the area or an AA asset it might have dumped everything on them. Sometimes it will target them directly or make a secondary offcentre attack against them. You can semi predict but that’s all with practice.

shahadi November 16th, 2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetLT (Post 844517)
I tried that.

The A-10 still made an attack run but there was a message saying that it could not achieve lock on. It then just flew away without attacking with its other weapons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 844518)
Perhaps your A-10 didn't see the target?

I ran a couple of tests and with the Maverick turned off in the bombardment screen, I get the message about no lock on but they still strafe with the 30 and drop bombs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetLT (Post 844515)
Anyone know how to get a PGM armed aircraft such as an A-10 to use its other weapons and not its PGM?

I was targeting a cluster of lightly armed APCs and wanted to use the cluster bombs and 500lb bombs instead of a single Maverick PGM.

I tried turning off the PGM and I got a message saying "unable to achieve lock on" and the A-10 did not make an attack at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suhiir (Post 844516)
Turn off the Maverick in the bombardment menu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetLT (Post 844517)
I tried that.

I have a vague recollection that targeting is influenced by flight path, terrain, and weapons loadout.

From the GG we find the following: "My aircraft seem useless, and cannot hit things with guns/rockets. If you see the message "attacking hex" then your plane has not been able to establish LOS to the target hex. This is usually due to smoke and dust in the area, but sometimes it is because the target is tucked away behind a ridge for example. Try to target aircraft, especially if relying on direct fire weapons like rockets, onto targets well out in clear air, and preferably out in the open, on a flat plain as opposed to in a town, wood, or valley."

<br>