.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Communion - items of master affect slaves ? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=34708)

Yrkoon May 15th, 2007 12:47 PM

Communion - items of master affect slaves ?

Hi,

I am in a EA game with Kaisala and I noticed something ... interesting and highly exploitable during a communion.

I have a double bless strategy F9A10, and I was using a sacred national summon to bless my troops. I wanted to cast a Holy 3 spell (divine bless) and my national summon was Holy 2, so I thought : communion.

So here is my national summon, equipped with a copper plate (the armor: resist lightning 100%, charge body) and a cristal matrix (for the communion). And his slaves, shamen, with slave matrix. I scripted the summon to cast divine bless on turn 1, then cast spells.

As soon as the battle starts, before anything happens, I click on the shamen just to see and - surprise - they have "charge body" on them. But not resist lightning 100%.

It appears that some of the effects of the magic items carried by the communion master also affect the communion slaves. Some, but not all ... weird.

Did anyone else notice that too ? Is it only with crystal matrices or with the bona fide "communion" spell too ?

Anyway, I think this is highly exploitable : get a few masters with buffs from items, a few slaves, and as soon as the battle starts you have an army of buffed slaves. It's dead easy to script the slaves to, say, attack closest : they get the buffs without spells being cast, so without any fatigue.

It doesn't seem to work with slaves that are not spellcasters : I put a slave matrix on a bandar commander and he didn't have charge body

Edi May 15th, 2007 12:55 PM

Re: Communion - items of master affect slaves ?

Slaves must have magic or communion does not work.

Shovah32 May 15th, 2007 01:00 PM

Do buffs cast by the master before the communion affect the slaves? If not the effect mentioned would only work with matrices.

Yrkoon May 15th, 2007 01:04 PM

That is good, so most thugs can not be buffed that way. The bug is still exploitable with spellcasters though.

In the case of Kaisala, there are some pretty nasty 4 armed summonable thugs that are spellcasters too, and I can see how they would become very very deadly with just a slave matrix.

Baalz May 15th, 2007 01:08 PM

Wow, that's kinda weird. Sounds like things that effectively autocast a spell at combat start would also work (charcoal shield, rhime haubrik, crystal shield, ?boots of quickness?, amulet of missile protection....). Hmmm, wonder about that artifact that gives blood vengance...>:)

Shovah32 May 15th, 2007 01:09 PM

The 4 armed guys, imo, are better with self buffing as its very easy for a fragile mage to die(although a second of the summonable thugs/SCs doing the buffing and then joining the fight may work well)

atul May 15th, 2007 01:22 PM

I think all the items that mimic some spell effect function by actually casting the spell on their holder immediately at the beginning of the combat. That's why for example the wielder of Crystal Shield can't cast Power of the Spheres in combat (it's already cast on him).

And personal spells with range of 0 are transferred to communion slaves, just witness the fun of the master casting Phoenix Pyre and retreating.

Wish May 15th, 2007 01:23 PM

if i recall, in dom 2, slaves did get the self-buffs that the master cast.

I imagine it is still the same in dom 3.

the charge body is mimicking a self-buff spell, and the resist lightning is probably mimicking a buff others spell.

a quick test with pythium reveals this to still be the case.

PvK May 15th, 2007 01:54 PM

You can have multiple communion masters, too, huh? Buff-o-rama...

Manuk May 15th, 2007 02:04 PM

Changing a little the subjet. If I have two comm masters will I need twice many slaves to rise magic paths of those two or I will need the same amount like having only one?