.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Old Age & EA Tien Chi? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=32794)

Hellboy January 13th, 2007 12:18 PM

Old Age & EA Tien Chi?

Just picked up Dom 3 (looks nice!), I've played just a bit sp w/ Tien Chi (one of my old favorites under Dom 2). I haven't played this enough to say this conclusively, but it seems like Early Age TC has been generally improved, with the big, huge exception of old age effects on Celestial Masters. afaict, my celestial masters are picking up afflictions left and right, and this makes it unwise to invest in empowering these guys, as they will likely die during the game.

Is anyone else experiencing this in a full game w/ TC? Or am I perhaps just having a run of bad luck in this game?

Also, two aging related questions:

1) Is it possible for a character to simply die of old age? If so, is there any notice of the character has died under the messages? (and, yes, I think this happened in my game)

2) Is there any kind of random factor in aging? I could swear I've seen some of my CM's age faster than 1 per game year...

Shovah32 January 13th, 2007 12:30 PM

Re: Old Age & EA Tien Chi?

1) Yes, if he gets diseased.

To prevent aging or atleast slow it down forge boots of youth/elixers of life for you good mages and take some growth scale.

Folket January 13th, 2007 12:50 PM

There is a random factor in how old they are when you recruit them. Some of your CMs were probably much older then what it says in the recruitment window.

Shovah32 January 13th, 2007 01:27 PM

Also nature magic increases max age iirc(not sure if they can get random nature)

Agrajag January 13th, 2007 02:00 PM

Might as well mention that death magic decreases the chance of a mage picking up afflictions from old age.
Also, fire magic decreases the life span of that mage.
And finally, there's a blood spell that Rejuvenates the caster (takes off 10 years).

Hellboy January 13th, 2007 03:11 PM

Well, this is all great info, thanks a bunch!

However, I suspect that this is too strong an effect on TC, EA. Two of the suggestions involve blood magic, and that's very difficult for TC to develop (problematic, even). I do see also a

Anyone out there w/ MP experience have comments on whether TC is still a weak nation for MP use?

For anyone reading this, there is a recent post w/ general answers on aging (here)

Shovah32 January 13th, 2007 03:41 PM

Just go talk to franktrollman

quantum_mechani January 13th, 2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Terrel said:
Anyone out there w/ MP experience have comments on whether TC is still a weak nation for MP use?

It is still quite decent in MP, better than in Dom2, even.

HoneyBadger January 13th, 2007 05:40 PM

Early T'C is very nice. Their armies really work well together, and it's easy, from a strategic point of view, to figure out where to put them and how to use them on a battlefield.

Hellboy January 13th, 2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

quantum_mechani said:
Quote:

Terrel said:

It is still quite decent in MP, better than in Dom2, even.

That's good to hear - I'll give it a try, then.

Actually, playing a little bit more in SP, I am seeing that the suggestions posted do work, and the old age thing can be worked around, even w/o blood magic. It does look like a nice additional bit of detail, to me.