.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Mods (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Fantasy wargame suggestions (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51141)

Beeg March 19th, 2016 05:33 AM

Fantasy wargame suggestions

Hi all. I've been playing SP in all it's forms since the original was released many years ago. I've recently been working on creating fantasy armies based loosely on the works of Tolkien. It's a huge project and I thought I could customize SPWW2 to use "medieval" types of units...archers, swordsmen, knights, orcs, elves, etc., in order to create battles between various armies.

Technically it could work but aesthetically it doesn't...even my warped imagination won't allow me to envision a dragon when I see a German "drache" helo on the screen.

For the last couple months I've been researching other war games that might suit my needs better, with no success. Basically, I'm looking for a fantasy version of SP that allows for customization. I know that's a bit vague but I'm hoping to get a few suggestions from my fellow wargamers here as a start.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Many thanks!

scorpio_rocks March 19th, 2016 05:45 AM

Re: Fantasy wargame suggestions

In just the same way that you use Mobhack to change the units stats to "become" a dragon - just create a dragon icon and icons for orcs, etc.

for an example of how this could be done have a look at the excellent ACW mod by Mkr8683 in the mod forum

Griefbringer March 19th, 2016 06:07 AM

It does not really provide the sort of customisation that you are after, but the classical fantasy hex wargame Sword of Aragon from late 80's might be still worth taking a look at for inspiration.

While it has a limited scope (you are a ruler trying to re-unify an ancient fantasy realm), it gives quite some freedom in how to equip, train and organise your forces (humans only, though there are several non-human opponents coming up in the campaign) and the campaign itself sees units and commanders gain experience.

Beeg March 19th, 2016 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 833219)
In just the same way that you use Mobhack to change the units stats to "become" a dragon - just create a dragon icon and icons for orcs, etc.

for an example of how this could be done have a look at the excellent ACW mod by Mkr8683 in the mod forum

Yes, that's an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, after all these years, I still have not been able to master creating or even modifying icons. SHPedit, for some reason, baffles me.

Beeg March 19th, 2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griefbringer (Post 833221)
It does not really provide the sort of customisation that you are after, but the classical fantasy hex wargame Sword of Aragon from late 80's might be still worth taking a look at for inspiration.

While it has a limited scope (you are a ruler trying to re-unify an ancient fantasy realm), it gives quite some freedom in how to equip, train and organise your forces (humans only, though there are several non-human opponents coming up in the campaign) and the campaign itself sees units and commanders gain experience.

Sounds interesting. As you say, inspiration would be valuable. I'll check it out, thanks!

scorpio_rocks March 19th, 2016 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeg (Post 833223)
Yes, that's an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, after all these years, I still have not been able to master creating or even modifying icons. SHPedit, for some reason, baffles me.

It's really not that hard - have a look at Cross' excellent tutorial thread http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47320

as for the icons themselves perhaps you could ask if anyone fancied giving you a hand - there are some brilliant artists/icon makers here (people like Cross, Mkr8683, RecruitMonty, etc) and a few more of us who like to dabble. perhaps have a think about what you would need (dragons, chariots, war elephants, etc) and ask generally or pm those that publish icons on the forums.

Beeg March 20th, 2016 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks (Post 833228)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeg (Post 833223)

It's really not that hard - have a look at Cross' excellent tutorial thread http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47320

as for the icons themselves perhaps you could ask if anyone fancied giving you a hand - there are some brilliant artists/icon makers here (people like Cross, Mkr8683, RecruitMonty, etc) and a few more of us who like to dabble. perhaps have a think about what you would need (dragons, chariots, war elephants, etc) and ask generally or pm those that publish icons on the forums.

Well, that would be ideal but I'd hate to impose. If anyone would be interested, I am looking at icons for the following units types...

Infantry (swordsmen, spearmen, axemen, etc.)
Archers
Wizards
Knights/Heros
Flying creatures (Nazgul, Eagles, Dragons, etc.)
Trolls
Mounted (horses, wargs, etc.)
Chariots
Elephants
Giants
Watercraft (triremes, longships, etc.)
Ballista (catapults, trebuchets, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

troopie March 23rd, 2016 02:58 AM

Something I found out in a now deleted 30 years war mod. Units without projectile weapons (pike and sword) will rout when fired on by artillery or projectile weapons, (bow and musket) But that was five years ago and I don't know how it would work today. Go ahead.

troopie

archita June 21st, 2016 03:14 PM

why not a mod based on Valchiria Chronicles ?

dimovski June 21st, 2016 05:17 PM

I would suggest Battle for Wesnoth.

As it's freeware, with lots of mods, you shouldn't have problems persuading someone to allow you to use their existing icons, if you do not find the game appealing/suiting your needs.