.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPWW2 (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Anzac oob (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51631)

sigeena June 13th, 2017 02:53 AM

Anzac oob

I was playing the German LC, and am currently in North Africa.

What struck me as odd is that ANZACs are always very infantry heavy, and they don't choose ATGs, MG formations.

They like to bring along the 2 pounder portee, which doesn't last very long and seldom even first its first shot, before routing/ destroyed.

Were the ANZAC formations in N. Africa really that infantry heavy?

Gelainey June 13th, 2017 04:30 AM

Re: Anzac oob

Hi there,
my first thought is that ANZAC units in North Africa (especially Australian military units) generally had very little in the way of their own armour and artillery, instead relying on the British to supply this kind of support for campaigns. Same goes for air cover. I think the OOBs would reflect this, but in a sense it is somewhat misleading because the ANZAC units generally fought alongside British and Empire units. I am not sure how this could be properly modeled in an OOB without using Allied support.

DRG June 13th, 2017 08:06 AM

What battle type was it and how many points are you using and do you have "AI Tank Hvy" turned on or off?

If you set up a normal generated battle with the Germans as P1 and ANZAC as P2( June 1942 ) and set the German P1 to computer purchase and deploy but the ANZAC as computer play and purchase ( but NOT deploy ) when you start the game you will be brought to the ANZAC deploy and you can see what the internal picklist will buy.... generally....... there are enough variables added in so that it would not be the exact same each time but it will give you a good idea of the force mix and when I did it just now as a meeter at 5000 points per side there is plenty of variety and armoured units for the ANZAC player but if you are playing a low point campaign as the Germans and the battle type is assault there won't be many points available for defense and you'll get more infantry

sigeena June 13th, 2017 08:51 PM

It's a LC, and around May 1941. My own roster is at around 4,000 points, so they've got a lot to play with as well. AI Tank heavy is off, as I find there's too much Soviet armour after awhile.

I saw they have Matildas in their OOB, but I didn't see any in the battle. They tend to have light armoured cars as their only mobile armour.

Lots of nasty 25 pounder though. Perhaps it's just the period, too early in 1941, and the OOB hasn't got many armoured formations matured yet.

DRG June 13th, 2017 10:53 PM

The picklist is the same no matter if it's a generated battle or a LC but you are correct it may be the early date that's giving infantry Hvy

sigeena June 13th, 2017 11:15 PM

I just did a quick check. Launched a quick battle, in the same timeline as my LC (May '41) and you're right, ANZAC brings a fair bit of armour to the battle. In fact, consistently, on the roster, C is a platoon of Matildas.

But in the LC I play, I don't see that at all. Odd.

DRG June 14th, 2017 07:31 AM

AFAIK the same internal picklists are used but there are variables so you don't see the same units and deployment every time, plus the battle type influences the selection

How many times have you had ANZAC as your opponent?

sigeena June 14th, 2017 08:34 PM

It's my 2nd battle against them.

I'll continue to observe if my 3rd battle yields the same and I'll send the save over for a look-in.

The lack of armour and ATG on their side just makes the battle a bit of a one-sided show.

And also they didn't pick MGs. Very odd. Just lotsa infantry and 25 pounders.

DRG June 14th, 2017 10:26 PM

That does sound odd. Were you attacking?

Mobhack June 14th, 2017 11:23 PM

Just generated a few computer v computer line-ups to check the AI pick for ANZAC at that time. Germans with 4K points as p1. plenty of tanks, ATG, and MGs (UK armour, as allies). Also as defenders in an advance - less tanks bought, several 37mm ATG and Vickers. They but A10s in company strength as well on occasion.

ANZAC may show up a couple of times in the desert before Japan starts the pacific war - getting them twice in a row would not be common. But unless there is an occasional non-buy of the UK supporting armour that you ran into, they usually buy a decently balanced force, if a bit light on tanks compared to the UK pick - but that would be historical.

if you were assaulting - then they will be buying pillboxes, and the occasional tank section. But they did have ATG and machine guns as well. But mainly infantry at the low points they will have versus a 4K assault.