.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   WinSPMBT (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Game play -Seasons (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51603)

DRG May 16th, 2017 11:30 PM

Game play -Seasons

We're curious to know what seasons players are using when they set up a battle to play.......are you playing mainly summer battles or a variety of seasons. The poll will only take a bit of time to complete.

RightDeve May 16th, 2017 11:35 PM

Re: Game play -Seasons

Various seasons of course!
It adds to the flavor of the gaming experience.

FASTBOAT TOUGH May 17th, 2017 02:46 AM

Since it's a random battle-the Fall-weather normally would be more unpredictable in theory, depending what part of the world you're playing in.

For my long duration campaigns with as many as 27 battles each, I'll play the year through normally starting in the beginning of Fall and ending at the end of it the following year. I have gone longer up to 2 years.

I guess I do like the Fall, but everyone campaigns in the Summer normally, so like the Russians did to the Germans in the Winter, I do that with the AI in the Fall. ;)

Regards,
Pat
:capt:

Imp May 17th, 2017 04:15 AM

Play all but winter far less due to difficulty determining LOS & movement especially if a lot of rough hexes/hills have trouble telling what my unit can see.

DRG May 17th, 2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 838469)
Play all but winter far less due to difficulty determining LOS & movement especially if a lot of rough hexes/hills have trouble telling what my unit can see.

In what way? Why do you find it difficult?

SaS TrooP May 17th, 2017 04:55 PM

Everything but winter. Winter is problematic due to movement cost changes, its hard to calculate your maneuvers. I mostly do PBEM so I pick what suits me ;)

jivemi May 17th, 2017 08:53 PM

Don't play random battles (yet), but I'm with Imp and Sas Troop when it comes to preferring anything but winter. Too slow.

Imp May 18th, 2017 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 838470)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 838469)

In what way? Why do you find it difficult?

In winter terrain like Korea rough & mountains I find it hard to see what I can see. Contrast between white visible hexes & grey non visible is fine in flat open terrain but not so clear otherwise.
Greying out with say yellow or green or highlighting the visible portion with those colours would probably make things stand out more.

DRG May 18th, 2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 838480)
Greying out with say yellow or green or highlighting the visible portion with those colours would probably make things stand out more.

That's not the way the game engine works. The palette has, for most colours used by terrain and Icon, two sets, one light, one dark and that's how it shows you what your movement and sightlines are and that is a bedrock fundamental of the game palette. Colours cannot be re-assigned as you suggest.

There are a wide range of greys in the game palette but they don't match up 1 for 1 like the colours we use for summer terrain and yes, in hilly terrain that shows up more than on flat

Don

whdonnelly May 19th, 2017 09:44 AM

I prefer anything but winter.