.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Anyone else having problems with Slingers? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=30665)

PheasantPlucker October 5th, 2006 04:05 PM

Anyone else having problems with Slingers?

I don't want to clutter up the bugs thread with something that might be my fault. However, I'm having trouble getting Marverni Slingers to shoot at the enemy. No matter what I order them to do, they just charge in headfirst at the enemy (in true Celtic style!).

I'm using the Demo version, and on a random small map if that is pertinent.

Anyone seen Dom3 slingers (especially Marverni) shooting?

Thanks.

Caduceus October 5th, 2006 04:20 PM

Re: Anyone else having problems with Slingers?

They may be moving to get into range to sling. They also aren't particularly accurate.

Meglobob October 5th, 2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

PheasantPlucker said:
I don't want to clutter up the bugs thread with something that might be my fault. However, I'm having trouble getting Marverni Slingers to shoot at the enemy. No matter what I order them to do, they just charge in headfirst at the enemy (in true Celtic style!).

I'm using the Demo version, and on a random small map if that is pertinent.

Anyone seen Dom3 slingers (especially Marverni) shooting?

Thanks.

This is happening to me with the Agartha ancient stone hurlers and Kailasa markata archers. I am giving them fire at closet enemy orders and they r charging into there certain doom. The javelin throwers in Dom2 never did this, they would just close in enough, then hurl there javelins. What's going on?

Nerfix October 5th, 2006 04:32 PM

I noticed this with Agarthan stone throwers, but everyone else has been shooting nicely so far.

DominionsFan October 5th, 2006 05:07 PM

Hm, I gotta check this out, since I haven't used slinger units yet in the demo.

PDF October 5th, 2006 05:48 PM

I'm just playing Maverni in a small Pbem, I don't make much use of slingers but got some and more as PD, and they usually shoot... not very efficiently though (as usual for slingers, bleh)

PheasantPlucker October 5th, 2006 06:58 PM

Interesting that they are working for PD, but for ordinary battles as part of the Marverni army I have now given up trying to get them to shoot. Looks like they are possibly broken for other nations too, or perhaps they are only broken in the demo.

On the tactics screen I've set them to 'no orders', 'shoot at nearest', 'shoot at archers', and every other permutation I can think of. Their weapon stats for the sling says that they have a range of 20, in all battles so far they always charge in and die without firing.

Daynarr October 5th, 2006 06:59 PM

I'm gonna check it out too.

PheasantPlucker October 5th, 2006 08:43 PM

OK I've figured it.

As the Marverni I thought it would be a good idea to have their Horn Blowers attached to every unit to keep up morale.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...HornBlower.jpg

However when these guys are attached to the slingers they cause the entire unit to forget about its slings and charge in with the daggers. Once a Horn Blower is removed from a slinger unit it will revert to using its sling again.

Whether this is a bug or W.A.D. I couldn't say. Maybe one of you guys in the know can add it to the bug thread if it is needed.

Twan October 5th, 2006 09:02 PM

I've seen a squad with javelins who had the order to fire going melee without throwing anything in my last game. Your horn blower story makes me understand the probable origin of this behavior : when one is wounded and can't shoot (lost two arms or something like that), all go to melee range instead of just him. It's probably a bug.