.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   The Eater of the Dead: How do I stop it? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=43338)

Lungfish June 10th, 2009 08:48 PM

The Eater of the Dead: How do I stop it?

Hello, everyone. I was just wondering, HOW IN THE **** DO YOU STOP IT!?! Sorry, let me do a brief play by play.
1. I summoned The Eater of the Dead, thinking how cool it would be to have a rampaging monster that attacks my foes. :D
2. After reading the description, I stupidly think how cool it would be to give it artifacts and cast Gift of Reason on it. :angel
3. I VERY stupidly give it Nethgul the Starspawn and the Ark of the Covenant :eek:
4. I empower with level 3 astral magic to let it teleport. :cold:
5. I teleport it to a corpsey battlefield and let it eat :down:
6. I watch as it digivolves into a giant monster and make it my prophet...
7. I then watch as it goes mad with power and obliterates a 125 point mage and blessing heavy militia and a fortress. :doh:

So, I was wondering, if I hadn't given it all those artifacts anyway, how do you defeat the vanilla Eater of the Dead?
Cuz it appears to be decimating everyone on the maps' armies.

Executor June 10th, 2009 08:53 PM

Re: The Eater of the Dead: How do I stop it?

He probably has lowish MR, disintegrate, soul slay, paralyze, those are the spells you want.

Lungfish June 10th, 2009 08:55 PM

It sort of blinded everyone. And Nethgul keeps casting Magic Shield spells.
Ya know, I really only summoned it because it was funny. I should probably just use my Strands of Arcane Power to... Hey, doesn't Strands kill every Astral Mage weaker than you on the planet eventually?

Baalz June 10th, 2009 08:55 PM

Any save or die spell - soul slay, disentigrate, petrify, etc. If you want to be cute you can also hellbind heart or charm it and teleport it deep into enemy territory quickly...

Lungfish June 10th, 2009 08:57 PM

Heh, and magic shields seemed like such a good idea at the time. Did I mention that it killed an entire 125 point army of mages and ultra heavily blessed berzerkers supported by Pantokrator?

Executor June 10th, 2009 09:40 PM

You mentioned you made it your prophet, if should make thing much easier as he'll suffer dominion penalty, MR and HP reduction.
And add some penetration items before you can soul slay or disintegrate.

Lungfish June 10th, 2009 09:46 PM

It became No-One's prophet when it went rogue. And it was in a "Friendly" Dominion so I was screwed. Any Magi I used died from Nethgul's Soul Slaying, and any real soldiers were squished or soul drained. Fortunately it ran off after crushing 1 quarter of my empire. Of 50-125 point militias, forts and of course several powerful warriors. I just cut my losses and hid. Still, I must admit, Eater of the Dead is the most awesome summon ever. The old Pantokrator (Programming Team)was smart to banish it to outer space. It's like Cthulhu that gets BIGGER.

K June 10th, 2009 10:11 PM

Stop it? Cast Enslave or Charm or Hellbind Heart and get him back on your team.

Tolkien June 10th, 2009 10:19 PM

I have never summoned Eater of the Dead yet.

Now I am most assuredly going to do so.

Lungfish June 10th, 2009 10:39 PM

Yeah, until it went mad from eating too many unburied bodies, it wiped out four provinces full of Mighty AI Armies, and level 9 independants. And of my empire.

REMEMBER: FEED IT UNTIL IT UPGRADES AT LEAST ONCE. And making it a prophet with buffs helps. My prophetness was really overpowered cuz I had like, ONE BILLION of all gems lying around that I used to buff my leader. BUT it was still powerful before and after. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, KILL IT BEFORE IT BECOMES UNFETTERED! THE TEETH, THE TEEEETH!!!

Heh, yeah. I'm crazy...