.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Shrapnel General (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Did God Invent Us, Or Did We Invent Him (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=21762)

Atrocities November 22nd, 2004 01:40 AM

Did God Invent Us, Or Did We Invent Him

Please understand that I mean no offense. I am just interested in seeing which train of thought will prevail.

Renegade 13 November 22nd, 2004 03:03 AM

Re: Did God Invent Us, Or Did We Invent Him

It all depends on your point of view. Some people believe in a god, other's believe humanity arose out of a gelatinous goo of organic molecules that just happened to arise into...us. Personally, I think that we were created, but that God can be one evil, sadistic, cruel SOB (note that this is just my opinion, and not meant to offend anyone). I mean, what are the odds that humanity could arise out of simple chance?? I don't know, but the odds must be vastly against life arising spontaneously. And even if it did, where did the universe come from? It all points to the existance of a "higher being" of some sort or another.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm not a religious person. In fact, the opposite. But who really knows whether "god" is real or not. I've never seen him, and I don't know anyone who has. But does he exist? Maybe.

It's simply tough to believe that if there was a god who cared enough to actually create humanity, that he'd be willing to let all the sh%t happen that happens.

Kamog November 22nd, 2004 03:29 AM

A long time ago, when I was a kid, I believed in God because I just automatically believed what people told me. Then when I was a bit older I started to realize that it seemed there wasn't really any convincing evidence to support it, so I stopped believing. Today, I'm still not convinced that there is a God. So it's a maybe.

David E. Gervais November 22nd, 2004 09:10 AM

Here's My Humble Opinion..

The Idea and philosophy behind there being a God is a good one. It's the man-made 'Conditional Modifiers' That form the different religions which divides and spoils the concept.

I hear what you're saying,.. "What?"

Simply, I believe in God and the 'One' true message common to all religions.. Peace, Love and Kindness. It's not rocket science, broken down to the simplest terms it's basically "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Oh, and the "Tho shall not kill" thing is simplistic too, I mean, there is one certainty in life, we will all die. So what is the point of wasting time and energy on something that is inevitable.

There are two things and two things only that prevent humanity from becomming the sanctuary (aka: Eden) that we all wish it was. These two things are 'Religion' (not God, but the man-made rules on how to worship him) and 'Boarders'. Until we can unify these two things One God, One race, we are doomed to live in strife.

Nuf said, Cheers! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif

Instar November 23rd, 2004 02:07 AM

clockmaker god if anything
(deist its called I believe)

Will November 23rd, 2004 07:15 AM

Pretty much the same thing as Kamog. I believed as a kid, just because that's what all the adults told me to believe. Then I realized there wasn't really anything that was supporting the belief other than the Bible (and that's rather dubious, circular support at that) and "intuitions". And for me, when I examined my intuitions, I came across the puzzling question "If God created us, who created God?". The only answer I've really ever seen for this boils down to "God was always here". But then, it seems to me, the entire objection that theists have to a more scientific worldview (eg. Big Bang, self-organizing chemical reactions which we like to call "life" http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/images/smilies/happy.gif, etc.) -- mainly that the question of where everything came from stops before Big Bang -- still holds with the theist worldview. In other words, "What was there before the Big Bang?" is the direct analogue to "What created God?". So, it seems to me, anyone who is attempting to be rational and accepting scientific theories of origins, and then puts forth the answer of "God" as what came before the Big Bang, is really just adding a layer and replacing one unanswerable with another unanswerable.

And really, whenever you speculate about the past that far back in time, it really is nothing more than idle speculation with very no real direct evidence, and only some indirect and theoretical evidence supporting it. IIRC, the only evidence that science currently has for the Big Bang is the "static" of background radiation that fits the theoretical models given. It's already been established time and again that there is no way to prove either position, it just depends on the personality of each individual.

Atrocities November 23rd, 2004 07:57 PM

If we invented God, then who invented us?

Will November 23rd, 2004 08:28 PM

Quote:

Atrocities said:
If we invented God, then who invented us?

In my view, the more pertinent question is why do we think humans were "invented"?

Azselendor November 24th, 2004 08:41 PM

My parents brought me up with the option to choose what religion I wanted or if I wanted none at all. I chose none at all, religion just didn't make sense to me.

Gandalf Parker November 24th, 2004 10:39 PM

Quote:

Klvino [ORB] said:
My parents brought me up with the option to choose what religion I wanted or if I wanted none at all. I chose none at all, religion just didn't make sense to me.

I totally agree with what you said (although it might not be what you meant). Personally Im a very religious person but I find that religion gets in the way of being religious.