.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Space Empires: IV & V (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   to hit %? (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39959)

Dogboy August 4th, 2008 10:35 PM

to hit %?

How are to hit %'s calculated?

Suicide Junkie August 4th, 2008 11:16 PM

Re: to hit %?

Base + positive modifiers - negative modifiers.
<1 is treated as 1%, and >99 is treated as 99%
The SE4 Talisman forces accuracy to be 100% always at this point.

Unfortunately this means that if you have a 10% chance to hit, and add a sensor worth +10, it doubles your hit rate.

Therefore when modding, be sure to keep all your modifiers small, so that you do not stray too far from 50%. Thus ensuring that your modifiers continue to provide sane effect amounts in practice.

Dogboy August 5th, 2008 02:04 AM

Thank you. And, for anyone reading this, Base = 100% - distance modifier.

capnq August 6th, 2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Suicide Junkie said: Unfortunately this means that if you have a 10% chance to hit, and add a sensor worth +10, it doubles your hit rate.

Why is that "unfortunate"? That's exactly the behavior one would expect from additive bonuses.

Suicide Junkie August 6th, 2008 09:09 AM

Exactly.

A "10%" additive bonus can mean anything from "no effect" to "11x the hit rate" to an actual 10% improvement.

Fyron August 6th, 2008 01:32 PM

Friends don't let friends add percents!

MrToxin August 7th, 2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Suicide Junkie said:Therefore when modding, be sure to keep all your modifiers small, so that you do not stray too far from 50%. Thus ensuring that your modifiers continue to provide sane effect amounts in practice.

Actually, I've been experimenting with huge to-hit modifiers and have seen some interesting effects. All things considered, I think some of them make sense.

Really...a Fighter a few feet away from a Worldship shouldn't miss. Ever. Meanwhile, the Worldship's 30,000mm cannon should have a higher chance of accidentally smashing into the fighter than actually shooting it.

Suicide Junkie August 13th, 2008 08:30 AM

Oh, there are certainly some occasions when you want that, but they are not the general case, and you have to take care that you don't pollute your typical calculations with them.

In CBmod, for example, planets have a +999% ECM because DF guns are precision munitions and a planet is a pretty big place with tiny targets on it. For widespread nukings, you need some planetary bombardment missiles.

I suppose I should refine that suggestion:
- There should only be at most ONE medium to large modifier applying to any one object at any time.

A base value to set the standard to-hit, and then small modifiers, totaling to not more than about 15-20. 25 if you're keeping the base at 50%, but only 10 if you have base to-hits that range as far as 25-75%