.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   Dominions 3: The Awakening (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Moving Through Multiple Provinces (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41071)

Ironlord October 30th, 2008 08:28 PM

Moving Through Multiple Provinces

Is there a way to set a final destination target province for any army? For example, say I completely fill up two army's, and want to march them to my front, which is 10 provinces away. On average, depending on the nation and army, it would take about 5-7 turns to arrive, with me having to choose the route along the way and moving them each turn. Is there something that you can do to set up a final destination and have the army automatically march to it, with the ability to stop them on a turn if you need to detour them due to a rear attack or something similar?

This would be a nice change in game mechanics, especially in single player games. It would ease up micromanagement issues alot. Thanks.

lch October 30th, 2008 08:34 PM

Re: Moving Through Multiple Provinces

No, there's no such facility in the game. And it probably won't be added, too. While it of course would help with boring reinforcement marches, far too much can happen within one turn.

Ironlord October 30th, 2008 08:37 PM

Thanks. I was playing around with LA Ermor, and the drudgery of moving so many armies takes most of the turn.

licker October 30th, 2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lch (Post 649354)
No, there's no such facility in the game. And it probably won't be added, too. While it of course would help with boring reinforcement marches, far too much can happen within one turn.

And yet there's no reason why you couldn't go in on any given turn and change a long march order if you need to.

I really don't understand the resistance to this, as there are ONLY positives to doing it.

JimMorrison October 30th, 2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by licker (Post 649375)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lch (Post 649354)

And yet there's no reason why you couldn't go in on any given turn and change a long march order if you need to.

I really don't understand the resistance to this, as there are ONLY positives to doing it.

Maybe only positives to you. There is a rather enormous negative, however - the dev time required to code in the capability for pathfinding and/or waypoints.

Sorry?

Dragar October 31st, 2008 12:20 AM

Is that really so onerous? Pathfinding has been around forever, surely it wouldn't be such a big deal? Removing micromanagement in the game for things like multi turn travel, repeat forgings and recruits, etc, would make it a lot faster and more enjoyable to play. Its unusual for a modern game not to have these features

licker October 31st, 2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMorrison (Post 649377)
Maybe only positives to you. There is a rather enormous negative, however - the dev time required to code in the capability for pathfinding and/or waypoints.

Sorry?

Sorry for what?

I'm talking about the players obviously, while I appreciate the effort the devs put in, this is something that has been a request since FOREVER, so yeah, I don't get it, how hard can it be to do a waypoint check and notify you if your path is broken?

I dunno, maybe there is some bizarre reason why commanders cannot save orders from one turn to the next, other than that they actually already do it, so uhh, you got me.

Why?

And spare the 'time on this is time not on something else', while true, its completely beside the point. Mods can do alot, this would be actual assistance to the micro hell which does exist in this game. Same for adding a quick way to dump gems from commanders ala blood slaves...

The tools seem to exist in the game for some of these features to be implemented, so why not just do it?

JimMorrison October 31st, 2008 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by licker (Post 649386)
And spare the 'time on this is time not on something else', while true, its completely beside the point. Mods can do alot, this would be actual assistance to the micro hell which does exist in this game. Same for adding a quick way to dump gems from commanders ala blood slaves...

The gem dump fix is an entirely different concept. That IS something that theoretically could be implemented with relatively minor tweaking of the code.

However, the entire module relating to strategy map movement would likely have to be rewritten from scratch, in order to move it from a "1 turn at a time, period" system, to a system that deals with multiple turn movement. There are too many factors to be looked at: terrain, flight, map move speed, stealth, ownership, etc. So it's nothing that can just be simply tacked on to the current system, and thus will not be seen in Dom3. Pray for it in Dom4, but seriously, with basically 1 person doing almost all of the actual coding of the game engine, there are other things I'd much rather see him work on, myself. ;)

Dragar October 31st, 2008 02:12 AM

I personally can't think of anything I'd want more than improved interface and reduced micromanagement. The game already has wonderful depth, there are plenty of mods out to improve balance, and that can be done by the community. There are very few bugs really interfering with game play.

Reducing boring tasks should be priority number one in my opinion. In particular for SP games, it would make the game a lot more enjoyable.

Alderanas October 31st, 2008 03:04 AM

haha your leading an empire you have to deal with the boring as well as the exciting. I bet every ruler has felt as you do now and besides you have it easier than they did. They had to rely on messengers all you have to rely upon is a good mouse click. Just take it in stride and go with it. It may be annoying but if it goes away there will just be a different annoying thing you find.