.com.unity Forums

.com.unity Forums (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/index.php)
-   TO&Es (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   88mm Flak (http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50935)

chris h August 20th, 2015 11:44 AM

88mm Flak

At the start of my German long campaign I picked an 88 Flak plt but they did not fire in the AA mode. I subsequently realised they were classified as a heavy AT weapons so they wouldn't.

I created a 88 unit placing them in the Flak class and then form a Flak plt with them. I then added this unit to my core units but the 88s do not ever fire at aircraft. Have I done something wrong?

Mobhack August 20th, 2015 12:06 PM

Re: 88mm Flak

The 88mm gun is only provided as an anti-tank gun. that is (or used to be) in the FAQ section of the game guide. It's also been discussed on the forums as to why heavy AA guns are not provided - search for those posts, use google as it works better than using the forum search tool.

a) heavy AA would only be useful against heavy bombers. They don't track ground attack planes "down in the weeds"
b) Heavy bombers are infrequently seen - really only for scenarios. The AI does not buy them.
c) And if they appeared, they do one pass and are gone.

Did you make a new weapon class for your 88mm gun as type 4 (FLAK), and use that in your unit? - otherwise you wont get AA fire from them.

Also, as far as I can recollect, if the warhead is in the medium to large size, it'll only fire on heavy bombers.

Andy

scorpio_rocks August 20th, 2015 12:13 PM

see HERE

If you do want to do it.

You need the unit set to be flak, the gun set to flak (type 4), and remove its sabot data (this will act as a minimum range and block the gun from firing at closer stuff)

Haha too slow looking up the other post and Ninja'ed by Andy :)

chris h August 20th, 2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobhack (Post 831208)
The 88mm gun is only provided as an anti-tank gun. that is (or used to be) in the FAQ section of the game guide. It's also been discussed on the forums as to why heavy AA guns are not provided - search for those posts, use google as it works better than using the forum search tool.

a) heavy AA would only be useful against heavy bombers. They don't track ground attack planes "down in the weeds"
b) Heavy bombers are infrequently seen - really only for scenarios. The AI does not buy them.
c) And if they appeared, they do one pass and are gone.

Did you make a new weapon class for your 88mm gun as type 4 (FLAK), and use that in your unit? - otherwise you wont get AA fire from them.

Also, as far as I can recollect, if the warhead is in the medium to large size, it'll only fire on heavy bombers.

Andy

Yes I created a Flak version. What you said makes sense so I'll swap them for anther Flak type.

My search failed to fine what I was looking for but I did not search for Heavy AA in the forum. But you answered it.

Thanks

DRG August 20th, 2015 11:08 PM

That's why the answer is the first Sticky on the Sticky list of the TO&E sub-forum !

chris h August 21st, 2015 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 831215)
That's why the answer is the first Sticky on the Sticky list of the TO&E sub-forum !

I can see that but as I said my search did not find it and I did not manually look in the TO&E sub-forum.

DRG August 21st, 2015 07:31 AM

Admittidly there are flaws in this forums search code that are beyond our control

88 + antiaircraft

will find that sticky using the forum search

but

88 + flak

will not and it's hard to know what will work and what's won't for an inquiry like that which I agree is frustrating especially if you are used to Google

Sometime going straight to Google works better but, again it's hard to know what works best but it will show up with

88 + anti aircraft+shrapnel

works using Google ( page 2 though...)

and

88 + anti aircraft+shrapnel+forums

gives it as the first result but again I understand it's hard to know exaclty what will work

but

<WHATEVER for looking are you>whatever you are looking for + shrapnel + forums

seems to get close but unfortunately there are no " golden rules"

Don