View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Corporal

1FSTCAT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Galatcic Civilizations (GalCiv)

My review of Galciv:

I've played through it now, twice, and tend to agree with what's been said, so far.

The combat is EXACTLY like the "Civilization" series. Your units have attack and defense values, and hit points.

I don't feel this lends itself well to a large research model, where you're researching "Shields", and "Phasors", just to get an increase in attack points, or a new unit that features said upgrade. They might as well have just had "levels" of research in Attack, Defense, communication, etc. (Level 1, level 2) It would have simplified things, I think..

The diplomacy is very good. Trading and communication is easy and thorough. No one else has mentioned it, but there is NO multiplayer capability.

A couple of gripes about diplomacy : NO SURRENDER. All I can do is quit. I would like to have had a scoreboard, or something, similar to Civilization. It would make the single player games, ultimately more interesting.

I don't like how you can only attack star systems, and not planets. You also can't GLASS a planet/system, like you can in SEIV. You can only capture it.

My overall score would be "Average". It's not great, IMHO, but it's a lot more playable then MOO 3.

--Ed