Thread: Air vs Nature
View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2003, 11:28 PM

Sergeant

Keir Maxwell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air vs Nature

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrik:
Why not a death scale for Vanheim? I can see that death might be a problem with maiximum bless races if the sacred troops are resource heavy and capital only. But Vans are neither. I think death -2 and sloth -1 allows for a faster intial expansion.
Indeed. This very line of reasoning has been puzzeling around inside my head. Part of the decision is based on the actual race for me - should a race be dieing off, roughly stable, or growing? As I see it Vanheim main theme (I really don't want to lose Valkrie) should not have a high growth rate and giving them 0 will mean there is a tendency for the race to slowly decline in numbers which feels about right. Having them actually dieing off feels a little odd to me.

However excluding thematic logic (or finding another) a death scale will definitely speed the start in return for sacrificing some long term power. If the fast start grabs enough the long term power will follow. As Van can be built anywhere, at the rate of your dominion per castle, they are one of the few Bless effect races that can consider a death scale. On the other hand if you are a little patient you will rapidly find you have pretty much as many resources as you want so its not a disaster to take the sloth instead of death - just slower.

Cheers

Keir

[ November 29, 2003, 01:30: Message edited by: Keir Maxwell ]