View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:22 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Give me good reasons why R\'lyeh is a balanced nation.

Money. They are expensive beyond belief and I have always had a rough time getting together a decent sized force. Any defeat or losses were particularly hard to recover from as most of your eggs are in one basket. Also, the lower average size of the armies meant that the mind bLasters were more likely to be hit by spells.

They are an “archer” nation if you focus on the mind bLasters. If your opponent gets tritons, which are cheap, they can easily swarm your archers. While they are keeping the bLasters busy, the rest of the army walks up to striking range.

Numbers of cannon fodder will swarm them, even if they are not flying. While powerful, the mind bLast only hits one unit a turn. If I faced large numbers of enemy, they would often swarm me. If they had high moral or could go bezerk, it was worse, they would hardly rout. Man proved particularly troublesome. Some of their big units needed more than one mind bLast to take them down, allowing them to get closer to me.

Tied to this is the food situation. You need to concentrate your forces to counter the risk of being over run by cannon fodder, which then concentrates your food needs. I found a lot of my guys would get ailments at some point, as “Starving” Messages were common.

The Gate is a big lottery ticket, you can not count on it. You might get some great stuff or you might get eaten or you might get some immobile units.

Finally, I have to agree with chiset. Argioth, you need to explain why you think this nation is unbalanced. Right now this is a one sided argument, which will not work. You are making a claim, stating things are imbalanced, but you offer no proof. You demand that we supply proof that you are wrong, but do not offer proof you are right.

You have created a situation which is very friendly to you, but not to others. It makes it impossible for you to “lose” and excludes competing points of view. It is probable that you will find that if you create a more balanced situation, you will get friendlier replies to it. It is also probable that if you continue offering arguments on these terms, you will also continue receiving less than warm replies. Just as balance is important in Dominions, it is in human interaction.