Thread: Obat 017 Iraq
View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Obat 017 Iraq

Quote:
The Iraqi government is now significantly pro Iranian.
Where do you get that from? At least until the US forces are out there is no way for the Iraqi government to be much anyting else as pro-US, at least officially. Now I can understand that the (large) part of the population that was quite pro-iranian was also neglected by the old regime, to say the least, and want to regain some political edge now. To consider that as a "pro-Iranian government" is going quite far for the moment. But maybe I have missed some devemopments? If so, I would be glad to have your sources.

As for the US administration "[not permitting] any heavy weapons to be placed into the hands of post war Iraqi military elements", they have already fielded numerous hardware from various sources, including China; look at the previous posts for info on this.
There were also plan to give away as much as 500 Abrams and 750 M60A3 tanks, among much other hardaware (Bradleys, Apaches, Patriots...),though I don't know what has become of it nor where the info came from...

Quote:
The guerilla and foreign fighters will begin to be better equipped as they receive 'secret' assistance from foreign governments
They already are, and I don't think how they could be equiped any better: they already have used rare but deadly RPG-29s, I don't know the truth about the Syrian Kornets; anyway I guess they will go on fielding tough and basic weapons, light or heavy, since these are the best for guerilla warfare. Of course you cannot punch through an Abrams' front armor with a RPG7V, but you can smash nearly anything else (APCs, trucks, helos...), and it is much more reliable and cheaper.

"Secret" assistance from foreign countries doesn't stay secret for long right now. Which countries did you have in mind? Most of the support for the Iraqi guerilla comes from individuals and associations. No country wants to get involved in this, and these which have no political image to lose anymore don't have the money to waste on this.
Don't think that the rebels have powerful allies who will do whatever they must to give them top-notch warfare, which the guys generally aren't trained for and won't handle and store properly.
Have you seen any reports of US troops being attacked with high-tech weaponry lately? Or lots of such weapons being caught on the obrder by patrols?
There again, I would be glad to know, I quite lack recent info on all this.