View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Private

boltcutter is on a distinguished road
Default Ulm SP AAR- Swords Vs. Sorcery

I like Ulm, in concept. Poor magic, low morale, expensive units. . . I can see why it has a poor reputation in practice. However, I've done some thinking and I've developed a Three Phase Plan. [Phase Three is "get eaten by demons." I'm hoping by then I'll have a better idea. ] Swords against Sorcery- in memory of Fritz Leiber.

The One True God was dead, they said. All over the world, false prophets arose. Blood drinking demons, lunatic sorcerors and crazed beasts rose up and declared their godhood. In the forgotten caves beneath Mt. Ulmon, unbreakable chains. . . broke. Ulmon, ancient beyond Gods, Who had been imprisoned ages before, strode forth again to save His people from madness and magic. And the people of Ulm, the children of fire and steel, long-suffering and faithful, strode forth at his back.

Setup: I took the Cyclops, with Earth 8 and Nature 3. Indy strength 4. Ten pretenders total, none aquatic and no Ermor- I'm new and Ermor still cleans my clock. High productivity, high drain, and good fortresses- I'll need a lot of forts, both for supplies and troops. Ulm NEVER has enough troops.

My plan for Phase I is to send out my Cyclops as a low-end Supercombatant while I build up Smiths and troops.

I'm on a small ismuth- four provinces, and then natural bottlenecks to the north and south, water to east and west.

Ulm remembers much and says little. The Forges of Ulm started up again, producing the legendary Black Steel armor, and a Smith of Ulm reappeared- nobody asked where he came from. Ulmon Himself forged a Black Steel blade in the old true pattern, quenched it thrice, and raised it high.

TURN 1:
Results- none yet.
Shopping- I buy a Master Smith and a handful of crossbowmen.
Action- My dozen light infantry (well, light for Ulm) are in no position to fight anything. I send my spy to the northeast. Ulmon, Himself, is currently unarmed- totally unacceptable. I forge a Sword of Sharpness.

TURN 2:
Results- I have an alleged 60 mixed infantry and archers to the south, 10 militia and infantry to the north, and 30 barbarians to the northeast [as measured by my spy.]

Shopping- I call forth another Master Smith to the forges and request more crossbowmen. My Ulmites are powerful soldiers, but so few, so very few.

Actions- I, Ulmon, walk northeast to spread the Word of Myself. I send my spy farther north, to the first possible bottleneck, to measure and report. My Smith starts researching Evocation.

TURN 3:

Results- Ulmon takes up the mantle of war. The Barbarians flee after inflicting but little damage; however, one of the wounds scars badly. I take this as a reminder to be careful. My spy reports relatively weak resistance to the north of my new first province; less reliable reports put the northwestern strength at 10 soldiers, and the south at 20 [from 60?!].

Shopping- another Master Smith and some heavy infantry. I choose the Black Plate with flails- multiple weak attacks, but the survivors will get stronger. Later I'll want to switch to something with a shield. Predictably, my new province produces nothing but barbarians, and I don't want any of those.

Actions- my First Army is far from grand, but it is ready to attack a few militia and light infantry. 12 light Ulmish infantry, 10 crossbows, and my first general. I send them to the north of my capitol, and decide Myself to go north to the end of my isthmus, and to open combat with a barrage of stones [Legions of Steel took my damage resistance from 28 to 29.] . I send my spy further north still, lest I overrun my intelligence. My Smiths are all diligently researching.