View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Sergeant

Rasorow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sword of the Stars? (New 4x game apparently)

I dont know what you want in a game..... let alone a 4x game but I do know that what I like and what you like can easily be lightcenturies apart... yet still be in the same game genre. That is all to the better.

Personally, I have played SE (the whole series) and Stars for years. I also played ImperiumGalatica and others. They didnt last 6 months on my selves...let alone harddrive. To many things that caused me to grind my teeth.

My frustration with the Homeworld series was 1 I couldn't design my own ships, 2 was limited to the senarios presented 3 limited to the meager resources in the game, 4 didn't have the challenge of an empire to manage.

I also was a little dismayed at the diplomacy options at first but then after talking to the devs agreed with the choice. These are alien races. You have to learn the language. Therefore you have to meet, attempt to communicate, listen, snoop, then practice their language (all research) to be able to talk to them. You cannot negotiate complex treaties when you are still speaking baby speak.. plus each race has different cultural concepts. It makes since that you have only limited options.

As for spying... you can barely talk to them.. How are you going to spy? There is some limited stuff you can do - send a ship to a region of space to investigate, etc. How are you going to infiltrate otherwise? Especially when they are infiltrating a toxic (possibly) environment?

I welcome anyone that wants to shake things up a little and provide a fresh view that is well executed. The more little fish that we get actually trying new things in good ways that listen to the community that gathers around them then the better off we are as gamers.

So let them work and present their unique take on the 4x genre. Even if you dont appreciate their work, they may inspire someone who's work you will appreciatse.

Rasorow

(Fades back into the mist)