View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new map generator

A) Did you look at DomMap? Thats the generator that was mostly used in creating random maps for Dom2. The source code is available and a number of people worked on improvments. It is very configurable with tons of switches for how much of any terrain and color choices and amount of blur etc. But I did have a long list of wants that never got put in. I run daily maps off of it here....
http://www.dom2minions.com/~dominion...andomMaps.html
All 3 color schemes are done by the same program

B) your options are very needed. Especially the surrounded by water, islands, and wrapping.

C) will this be raw code? or something that can run on linux?

D) Would you like the new terrain math? For the terrain settings to put in the map?

E) will the output image be tga or rgb?

F) GIMP does generate really nice random maps, its free, scriptable, and works on all of the same operating systems that Dom3 does. But Im not sure how easy it would be to write a read/interpret program to create a .map file to go with it.

I have some programs for doing things like assigning reasonable names to provinces (forest names, ocean names, etc). And some for going into scenario work such as special provinces with magic sites, natives, monsters, terrain that all match. Also some for scattering castles, monsters, assiging random AIs that are allied against you, giving AIs special gods, etc. You can check out alot of that at www.dom3minions.com

Nice project. Good luck with it.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)